GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gunkata’s “S3” A3 2.0T Quattro K04 Build

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
P

plac

for? :) word, im excited to try it out. As long as its quieter than the carbonio stage 1, I'll be keeping it.

dood its like 3X as quiet. i could barely hear it. at all. *but a K04 is a whole diff story, lot more air.*

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
dood its like 3X as quiet. i could barely hear it. at all. *but a K04 is a whole diff story, lot more air.*

yeah, I am a little concerned about that, so I guess I'll find out in a few hours. Sounds like its still one of the quietest and effective ones out there though.

P

plac

yeah, I am a little concerned about that, so I guess I'll find out in a few hours. Sounds like its still one of the quietest and effective ones out there though.

either way.. still 3X as quiet as a Carbonio, in any scale or level. i honestly believe there is nothing quieter aside from stock. i'll prob get another neuspeed down the road, but with a apexi filter transplant.

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion
How did you get info that they don't lower as much as the V1's?

For my CC application, he told me the lowering was the exact same as the V1's.
And as for softer springs....he wouldn't give me any info as to how much softer they were compared to the V1's (% wise or anything). He said it's top secret

So yeah...I'm torn between the V1's (for a hair cheaper) and the SHS coils

If anything, I fear the warranty with the SHS coils because they come directly from Germany and take a while to get.

The KW's though would come right away from California

As for riding softer than the Konis....wow....I can't believe you said that.
I thought the Konis were really soft (for a coilover), in a good way. But if you say they're softer....well, than that's amazing

Thanks for the info too.

Look forward to what you think, because I'm REALLY on the fence between these & the V1's

HPA told me that the SHS didn't go as low on my car, however I also notice that the SHS for the MK6 go a bit lower than the MK5s. Seems it's by application.

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/shs1.htm

If you're between V1s and SHS, I really think you can't go wrong with the SHS. They're a great daily driver coilover. But if you're looking for something with firmer cornering capabilities, V1s are likely your coil of choice. As for your comment about the coils coming from Germany, mine were dropped shipped from the factory and to my door within a week.

I'm looking forward to hearing how they compare to the DG springs. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Modshack intake on the K04 as well.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Modshack - its pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. Just did some around town driving and some highway driving with some pulls thrown in here and there.

Engine is now just slightly louder, can hear a small flutter when decelerating and that's about it. Reminds me of the turbo volvo's I've been in before - you know its there, but its not obnoxious.

Definitely not as loud as a carbonio and the revs seem to climb a tad bit quicker and feel a little more top end. Since it was used and I got a great deal on it, I feel even better about it, lol. Big ups to SkullV (Ted) for the sale and for installing it for me. Overall, a damn good mod here and glad I did it.

Car feels pretty good, but definitely a slight struggle with the AC on and the high temps we've been having. I debadged the "A3" from the left side today and have left the "2.0T Quattro" on the right for now. We'll see how long that lasts...

rs999

Go Kart Champion
HPA told me that the SHS didn't go as low on my car, however I also notice that the SHS for the MK6 go a bit lower than the MK5s. Seems it's by application.

http://www.hpamotorsport.com/shs1.htm

If you're between V1s and SHS, I really think you can't go wrong with the SHS. They're a great daily driver coilover. But if you're looking for something with firmer cornering capabilities, V1s are likely your coil of choice. As for your comment about the coils coming from Germany, mine were dropped shipped from the factory and to my door within a week.

I'm looking forward to hearing how they compare to the DG springs. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Modshack intake on the K04 as well.

Gunkata or NS01GTI, did you VAG-COM your cars with the XDS and Torque Steer updates?

I just did and I noticed I can take on-ramps at crazy speeds now and it's very hard to break traction unless I really stomp on the gas.

I'm wondering if I should install my HPA SHS' or just stay stock with the electronic mods. :iono:

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Modshack - its pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. Just did some around town driving and some highway driving with some pulls thrown in here and there.

Engine is now just slightly louder, can hear a small flutter when decelerating and that's about it. Reminds me of the turbo volvo's I've been in before - you know its there, but its not obnoxious.

Definitely not as loud as a carbonio and the revs seem to climb a tad bit quicker and feel a little more top end. Since it was used and I got a great deal on it, I feel even better about it, lol. Big ups to SkullV (Ted) for the sale and for installing it for me. Overall, a damn good mod here and glad I did it.

Car feels pretty good, but definitely a slight struggle with the AC on and the high temps we've been having. I debadged the "A3" from the left side today and have left the "2.0T Quattro" on the right for now. We'll see how long that lasts...

Glad it is working out for you! You should post a pic so everyone sees how factory it looks in the all black trim!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Gunkata or NS01GTI, did you VAG-COM your cars with the XDS and Torque Steer updates?

I just did and I noticed I can take on-ramps at crazy speeds now and it's very hard to break traction unless I really stomp on the gas.

I'm wondering if I should install my HPA SHS' or just stay stock with the electronic mods. :iono:

I did the XDS update / mod on the GTI and did notice a difference. I havent had a chance to get any VAGCOM tweaks done to the car yet, but definitely want to do a few and perhaps I'll include that one. I'd also like to look into a Haldex controller down the line, but I've heard some mixed stories on it.

I will post up the HPA SHS review probably Tuesday morning w/ or w/o pics I guess. I'm more concerned about ride quality than being "slammed".

since you have a big list of interesting cars you have previously owned what would you compare the k04 to?

its kind of a Evo feel with the lag, an STI feel on the turbo kicking in big time, and then a little bit of the twin turbo Supra as far as the overall woosh feel on the highway.

Glad it is working out for you! You should post a pic so everyone sees how factory it looks in the all black trim!

:thumbsup:

Here's a pic, dirty, but here it is. I'm not sure how "stock" it looks tho, lol....

This bastard has Quattro now... no need for XDS or TSC.

:laugh: bastard? :p

Nothing like AWD with a K04 TSI :D

DSG and AWD were the two main reasons I got out of the GTI.

ah true, its 4-motion/quattro / the same thing

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
ah true, its 4-motion/quattro / the same thing

Well, marketing wise, that's what they want you to believe. But most of us know true Quattro is torsion based and for longitudinal setups only. 4-Motion is Haldex based and is used in transverse setups because it fits.

Does yours use Generation 2 Haldex or Gen 4 like the 4-Motion Passat's and Golf R? If it's Gen 4, I personally liked the way the stock Haldex controller worked in my dad's old CC, but that's obviously a much longer wheelbase car too.