GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex clutch control valve, mechanical malfunction

hcw5733

Passed Driver's Ed
Lately I have been noticing that the traction control light would come on every now and then, and I would even experience wheel hop when launching the car. I felt that something was off with the Haldex functionality so a visit to my local VW dealership resulted in the following fault being identified:

02248 003 Haldex clutch control valve, mechanical malfunction

Needless to say I'm a bit surprised such a failure would occur in a stock car at 43,000 miles. What surprised me more is that the dealership claimed this wouldn't be covered under the powertrain warranty as it is an electronic related part? Needless to say I have e-mailed VW Care to get a confirmation.

In any case, I've been trying to shop around for the P/N they said I would need : 0BR907554C. I haven been very lucky even at ECS Tuning so if you guys have any recommendations that would be appreciated.

The other alternative I've been considering is since the Haldex controller went bad I could consider the HPA controller since the price is about the same.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Oh wow, this is the first I've heard of this happening. If it's just the controller, get the HPA and get a freaking stage 1 tune since you are out of warrantee anyway!

That's what I would do.:D

The other option, for those with more stringent spending philosophies (and don't care about making their R's awesome :p), is to look for guys on vortex who already upgraded to the HPA conttoller and may be selling their stock unit for cheap.

Last edited:

hcw5733

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh wow, this is the first I've heard of this happening. If it's just the controller, get the HPA and get a freaking stage 1 tune since you are out of warrantee anyway!

That's what I would do.:D

The other option, for those with more stringent spending philosophies (and don't care about making their R's awesome :p), is to look for guys on vortex who already upgraded to the HPA conttoller and may be selling their stock unit for cheap.

Good idea I'll check on vwvortex to see if anyone would sell their stock unit. It's a strange case and happens randomly too. At the least the car is still drivable. this has been one of my worries coming from a full time and system like in my STI to a Haldex based system but hopefully this can be addressed soon.

hcw5733

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, after a few weeks and some communication with VW Care the issue has finally been resolved. For those interested if the Haldex control unit goes bad it won't be covered by the powertrain warranty, this combined with the fact that I'm also past the new car warranty meant I was looking at a $1,600 bill for parts and labor. Fortunately VW offered to cover half the cost and it is good to have the awd capability back.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Incidentally, it sounds like they replaced your entire unit, NOT just the controller. The part# you gave (0BR907554C) is for the whole unit.

Yours is the first I have heard of unit failure

hcw5733

Passed Driver's Ed
Last week my traction control light went off a few times... Not sure if mine is dying, too. Fingers are crossed!

I have observed that even when the Haldex is working normally the TC light can come on especially when it's colder outside or when gunning the car on a turn. However the TC light will come on and power would be cut before any tires scream or wheel hop occurs.

Also, if it does go bad you will notice it right away and it is immediate, so I think you are actually ok.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I have observed that even when the Haldex is working normally the TC light can come on especially when it's colder outside or when gunning the car on a turn. However the TC light will come on and power would be cut before any tires scream or wheel hop occurs.

Also, if it does go bad you will notice it right away and it is immediate, so I think you are actually ok.

Not sure what is going on... Very odd electrical gremlins. First TC lights up, I can feel Haldex acting weird for a minute. Then ABS light. Then tire pressure light. Then airbag light. Goes away when I restart the car. Randomly returns a day or two later.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
Not sure what is going on... Very odd electrical gremlins. First TC lights up, I can feel Haldex acting weird for a minute. Then ABS light. Then tire pressure light. Then airbag light. Goes away when I restart the car. Randomly returns a day or two later.

Hopefully that is only the battery getting weak.
Also possible voltage regulator issue. Hopefully it is not some tougher system wide elec issue...I doubt it, prob one of the two above...

If you have a voltmeter I'd see what the battery reads first thing in the morning, before starting it. It should be in the 12.4 - 12.6+ volt range.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Hopefully that is only the battery getting weak.
Also possible voltage regulator issue. Hopefully it is not some tougher system wide elec issue...I doubt it, prob one of the two above...

If you have a voltmeter I'd see what the battery reads first thing in the morning, before starting it. It should be in the 12.4 - 12.6+ volt range.

Good idea. I do not have one but I'm sure I can pick one up at radio shack.