GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Anyone has the part number of the o-ring connecting to the coolant pipe in front of the engine that we have to replace? Is it already in my list below?

PS how many liters of mixed water/coolant do I need?

So far I got the following list..

Water pump replacement:

MUST:

1. Water pump + termostat + temp sensor + gasket: 06H121026CQ [AVL] (x1)

2. Belt: 06H121605E [AVL] (x1)

3. UNION: 06H121131C [?] (x1)

PLUS:

4. Seal: WHT006407 [?] (x1)

5. Seal: 4E0121666 [?] (x2)

6. Screws: N10700202 [?] (x2)

7. Seal: N90316801 [?] (x1)

8. o-ring to coolant pipe in front of the engine

When I replaced mine, I ordered the union, water pump housing, belt, o-ring and WP housing gasket. Come to find out, when you order the new WP housing, the (WP housing) gasket comes supplied. I did try to install the o-ring but it is LARGER than the stock one. The coolant pipes WOULD NOT seat over one another, so I re-installed the old one. No leaks.

WORD OF ADVICE:
Make sure to clean around the WP housing. Contaminates of dirt and oil will cause premature damage to the "newly replaced water pump.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
FWIW My dealership blaimed the failure on a slight oil leak coming from the cam bridge and chain cover. The oil was dripping down the block onto the seal of the waterpump causing the seal to fail.
Dealership replaced the seals of both and the oil leaks are now gone, hopefully that means my waterpump is now invincible

invincible waterpump... read this at work today and made me laugh. hehehe :D

JT641

Banned
Getting my car back Today, We'll see how long it last's this time. But unfortunately they installed the same one as last time as there is no update to that one. :(

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
2012 GTI with 28K miles and my original water pump began leaking. I was was on vacation in Bridgeport, CA about 385 miles from home of course. :mad: VW roadside offered me a free tow to the nearest dealer in Reno, NV but since the leak was slow and the water pump wasn't squealing like a pig, I rolled the dice and drove it back to SoCal to my local dealer in Covina. Made it through 100 degree temp with coolant in the reservoir to spare :) Dealer confirmed then replaced the water pump and installed that fancy waste gate clip as well today.
Parts:
WHT006407 (seal ring)
G013A8J1G (coolant)
N10700202 (screw)
06H121131C (union)
06J121026BB (water pump)
06J145220A (clip)

I'd have to say that thanks to this lovely thread it has made me a paranoid android by forcing me to pop my hood often to check for low coolant in the reservoir and leaks around the water pump. I drove to my destination on Saturday afternoon, parked and checked the car to see that everything looked fine. I didn't start it again until Tuesday morning, popped the hood for one last check up and the area under the water pump was wet. :mad0259:

One down....three to go until I can file my lemon law suit. :laugh: Just messing!

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Anyone has the part number of the o-ring connecting to the coolant pipe in front of the engine that we have to replace? Is it already in my list below?

PS how many liters of mixed water/coolant do I need?

when i replaced mine, all i did was buy the water pump. it's a good idea to replace the belt and they said there's an updated version of the union, but i didn't replace either of those. i'm not sure why you would need to buy new screws or gaskets unless they are worn.

WORD OF ADVICE:
Make sure to clean around the WP housing. Contaminates of dirt and oil will cause premature damage to the "newly replaced water pump.

should be a given, but yes anything that mates to the block should have a clean surface before install. wipe it down with some wd40 or brake cleaner on a shop rag. :thumbsup:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
should be a given, but yes anything that mates to the block should have a clean surface before install. wipe it down with some wd40 or brake cleaner on a shop rag. :thumbsup:

Agreed....but the last time I took I my car to a nearby VW dealership, one of their mechanics was such in a rush and didn't wipe down the intercooler piping. A few miles down the road, it popped off.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Thanks for the replies guys.

I bought everything, but my dealer didn't stock the two little screws (N10700202).

Are these necessary or shall I proceed with the job? Where do they go btw?

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Oh man, I should've posted this in here yesterday:

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1862163&postcount=15640

I got 51,700 miles on the original water pump and then it shat the bed as it sat while I worked. Lets hope this issue is over with.

CBFA engine here and I just got it replaced with water pump #06J-121-026-BB. Is that the latest and greatest for the CBFAs?

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Im in on this! Drove to Hockenheim to see the F1 practice today and sure enough on the Autobahn near the track low coolant warning light. Pulled over at the next gas stop and the tank was virtually empty. Refilled with coolant and kept on moving. Stayed full all day and on the way home in terrible traffic. 3 hours for a 1 hour return trip. 37C. F'n hot weather and slow moving. The temp never was an issue. Finally found a wet spot below the pump this evening.

Funny thing is the car is sched for a Monday tire rotation/inspection and alignment. I emailed them from the track and spoke with my service rep. He has a Gti as well. Just drive it unless the temp is increasing/fill with water and drop it off Monday. Pump on order. Ive made it 44000kilometers and 1 motor replacement and now the pump. 23,000km on the new motor and now its pump time. Lucky me :)

Hope the new one holds. I will ask him to check for oil leaks above/around the pump and remind him to have the techs clean the seal area(polite reminder). Its a car, sht breaks better if its not frequent though :) Tomorrow I will take it back on the road for 1 hour up and back to the track and Sunday it goes no where. Hopefully no issues. If so the frau can call for the tow and then rescue me :) LOL!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
add me to the list.

2013 GTI.
12,500 miles.
It's in the shop now.

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Numerous times before getting my pump changed the tank was almost empty before I refilled it... not once did the low coolant light come on. has anyone else experienced the dame thing?

speedster

Go Kart Champion
add me to the list.

2013 GTI.
12,500 miles.
It's in the shop now.
Wow that's early. Is that your first one plac?