GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Sunnyvale VW covered my loaner car and everything. Gave me a Passat. Wasn't too bad, but made me appreciate my GTI more when I got it back. Fixed it up in a day, didn't say a thing about the carbonio intake or K04. Was pleased all up. Check em out.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
By all accounts from others it's actually not early. I am on my third by 18k miles. First one at 4k miles.
That's ridiculous. Mine went out at 59500 miles.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
let's see now, looking back.. why, water pump #1 failed at 21,000miles. I remember saying "dang".

Fast forward 5 months, and water pump #2 dies on me after only 2000 miles. it died so young, barely had a chance to experience life.

I believe water pump #2 was a runt of the litter though.. and I feel really good about water pump #3. If this one can make it a year, I may even name him.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
This is crazy. Are the dealers installing the new pumps correctly?

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
i agree. ALL these dealers can't be installing them wrong..

Someone mentioned before that a dealer noticed oil seepage leaking down onto their waterpump after their 3rd or 4th failure. Can't remember where that was mentioned, but definitely worth looking into for those that have had multiple failures, as that would explain why after the 1st failure, multiple subsequent failures seem to shortly follow.

KeepingItStock

Passed Driver's Ed
What ACTUALLY fails on them? Is it a gasket? Bearing? I've searched multiple times and can't find a definitive answer. The service adviser at the dealer I took mine to gave me a BS runaround saying it was an issue with dissimilar metals and it's finally been fixed after 5 part revisions, but then told me they replaced the entire pump instead of just a seal to be safe, which made zero sense. And I know VW engineers aren't the brightest bulbs in the shed but I find it hard to believe it would take them five tries to figure out what metals work together without falling apart.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Someone mentioned before that a dealer noticed oil seepage leaking down onto their waterpump after their 3rd or 4th failure. Can't remember where that was mentioned, but definitely worth looking into for those that have had multiple failures, as that would explain why after the 1st failure, multiple subsequent failures seem to shortly follow.

you would think any competent dealer would see that during the first job and fix the issue. but that is way too much to ask with VW dealerships I guess.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Agree also. All these service techs can't be crappy. Must be a part or cooling system design flaw.
Sure. There is a design flaw that causes them to fail after 60k or so. Failing after 4k doesn't seem like a design flaw. It seems like a faulty install. Its also interesting that repeated failures after 4k happen to the same people. Perhaps they keep going to the same crappy dealerships?

Anyway this seems to effect certain people repeatedly and others not at all. Something is weird here.

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
Sure. There is a design flaw that causes them to fail after 60k or so. Failing after 4k doesn't seem like a design flaw. It seems like a faulty install. Its also interesting that repeated failures after 4k happen to the same people. Perhaps they keep going to the same crappy dealerships?

Anyway this seems to effect certain people repeatedly and others not at all. Something is weird here.

So the people who assemble the cars are all incompetent too then? Otherwise it'll never go bad right?

Most techs that work at dealers have been at it for some time. Mine was worked on by the lead tech at my local dealer. He knew the tell tale sign of the whining water pump right away. Popped the hood, twisted the cap off and sound went away. Said yep. Warranty replacement to water pump and that he would be doing the job himself. All these various incidents can't be a tech install problem. As much as people like to say dealer service techs suck, this many reports cant be all install error.

Other than it being hard to reach, is it a hard install even?