GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps

zrickety

The Fixer
If the same dealer did all the service, they might throw you a bone. I would tell you to find a good independent mechanic.

whitebeastMKV

Ready to race!
If the same dealer did all the service, they might throw you a bone. I would tell you to find a good independent mechanic.

^This.....that is why i do ALL the work on my car myself; and it also helps that my dad is a mechanic, has his own shop and over the years i've learned a lot of valuable stuff from him...

now getting back to the water pump, my 2010 has 60,000 Km's...( taht is KM's Not Miles as that's how we measure distance in Canada....LOL) and to my knowledge is the original one....so knock on head (wood)...its' still OK

but if it ever happens and leaks, i'll purchase the latest revision and do a proper install....like clean the area REALLY good and torque all the water pump bolts to spec....(a lot of techs at the dealerships do this work in a hurry and taht's how they fuck it up and poor customers have to deal with numerous water pump installs)

dirtslinger

I'm going to call the dealership today and see what the say. I happen to be just about a mile away from Eurocode in Torrance. Anyone know if they do good work? They sure have a boat load of cars in their shop all the time. But they quoted me about a grand.

I'm pretty good with a wrench, but when I looked under the hood, it kind of intimidated me to be honest.

I'm an aircooled VW guy.

dirtslinger

BTW, I got a little confused reading thru this thread, which is the lasted revision water pump that I want? It had the BB installed last year.

808bahn

Ready to race!
I believe it's BG for the CBFA engine, as mine was replaced with this version. My previous version was BB.

BTW, I got a little confused reading thru this thread, which is the lasted revision water pump that I want? It had the BB installed last year.

VgRt6

Ready to race!
Helped my son buy a 2011 with 69K on the odometer, The car is in amazing condition, with a stack of every service performed on the car. After driving it for 1K miles I noticed I smelled coolant. I haven't found it yet, by after reading everything on this formum, I'm betting its the water pump.
In the service records I found, it had the water pump replaced with the part number ending in BB back in Feb. of 2014 at 55K miles.
Is BB the latest water pump? Or does it need the latest revision?
Also, what do you think the chances of having the dealer cover the work? It's been a little over a year and more than 12K since the service.

You should have a CBFA engine (as opposed to a CCTA engine) if a 'BB' pump is currently installed. The most recent pump revision for the CBFA is 06J121026BG.

dirtslinger

Thanks for the info on the lastest pump, the service advisor told me to contact my local dealership, and request for them to contact VWoA to see if they will cover the pump. He told me the bb was not the latest pump.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
you'd notice a puddle of PINK coolant on the floor, low coolant in the overflow bottle.

but i see you're driving a golf R; i thought the r's have a different water pump, one that is more traditional that is driven by the timing belt...but i could BE WRONG THOUGH....

and yes, honda's are much more reliable on water pumps...i have a 2000 civic (winter beater) and i just replaced timing belt and water pump at 200,000 km's....pump was till OK, but replaced it part of maintenance...

I really recommend always being familiar with your coolant levels. The moment I notice a drop in height it seems to go within the week. best to check when cold first thing in the morning IMO.

zrickety

The Fixer
I posted this before, but my first revision pump from 09 was just fine when the thermostat died at 105k. I wouldn't worry about what version you get, just who does the install.

dirtslinger

Just an update, dropped the car off at the dealer and they said it was definitely the water pump, VWoA is going to cover it even though it's out of warranty. Good news

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
very nice to hear. never pay for a WP repair if you have the dealership do it. make them always cover the service and if they refuse holler at VWoA about their shit pumps and questionable care of install.

dirtslinger

Luckily it wasn't even an issue, the service lady said, that she would contact VWoA and they would most likely cover it, she was well aware of the problem, and it seemed to help that I had the receipt from the new pump last Feb.
I was totally expecting to have to argue with someone.

Fingolfin

Ready to race!
In addition to confirming the latest revision pump is used, should people inquire as to whether they remove the intake manifold when replacing the pump? Seems like the tech I talked to mentioned he always does this to get better clearance and stated not everyone does.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would say that's unlikely unless you are getting carbon cleaning at the same time.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
In addition to confirming the latest revision pump is used, should people inquire as to whether they remove the intake manifold when replacing the pump? Seems like the tech I talked to mentioned he always does this to get better clearance and stated not everyone does.

That's what I did as well. Just takes a few more minutes of work.