GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heads up for those with awful MPGs

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Hmm I guess ill do this too and see if I get better.
I have all the issues youve described with no codes, average mileage is like 18...
And Ive changed everything fuel related up to this point, new filter, new injectors, changed gas stations.
With no luck.
Depending on the age of the car, it's gonna need to be swapped at some point and it's not super expensive or labor intensive at all. Someone said dealer quoted them $600 to do it, and I can't imagine how the part or hour dollars added up to that. Get a VDO from FCPEuro or https://eeuroparts.com/product/vdo/A2C53438283Z

FCP might be more but it's got a lifetime warranty, the eeuroparts is a 2 year warranty.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Hmm I guess ill do this too and see if I get better.
I have all the issues youve described with no codes, average mileage is like 18...
And Ive changed everything fuel related up to this point, new filter, new injectors, changed gas stations.
With no luck.
18? wow... i was feeling bad at 24-25 ... i can get up to 32 if im mostly highway (lower than 75) and light on the throttle. average mixed is around 26-28

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Finally got around to ordering a fuel pump, we'll see soon if it helps.
Mine still is going like a champ, but I ended up swapping out the control module on top of the LPFP too just for shits. I now have a major exhaust leak at the DP to turbo flange since all my parts decide to fail at the same time it seems. Before that though, my idles were scary quiet. To a point where without the blower and radio on, I thought the car died.

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
Mine still is going like a champ, but I ended up swapping out the control module on top of the LPFP too just for shits. I now have a major exhaust leak at the DP to turbo flange since all my parts decide to fail at the same time it seems. Before that though, my idles were scary quiet. To a point where without the blower and radio on, I thought the car died.
When MFI is displaying consumption, does it go to --.- immediately after letting off throttle? I swear mine used to, now it seems there is a 1-2second delay. I'm not noticing any fuel smell or rough idle, but I'm noticing a slight off the line jerk, especially in first gear if I'm light on the throttle

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Replacing your low pressure fuel pump will not do any of the things described in this thread. It's all placebo effect.

If your LPFP was defective you would know it. It's ridiculous y'all think you can get better mpg or solve fuel cut issues with the low pressure pump - the part of the fueling system with the least impact on these things.

Seriously use common sense before you go chasing problems that don't exist because someone said their butt Dyno feels better.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Seriously use common sense before you go chasing problems that don't exist because someone said their butt Dyno feels better.
My problems definitely exist and at this point I've replaced just about every typical part that could cause my terrible mpg.
Whether this works or not we'll find out eventually, I'm just grasping at straws at this point, just waiting to drain my tank before I can install.
If it doesnt work then I got a fresh fuel pump, not a huge issue in my book.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
My problems definitely exist and at this point I've replaced just about every typical part that could cause my terrible mpg.
Whether this works or not we'll find out eventually, I'm just grasping at straws at this point, just waiting to drain my tank before I can install.
If it doesnt work then I got a fresh fuel pump, not a huge issue in my book.
dude is just an internet flexboy. I've seen an improvement over my OEM LPFP vs the replacement. Just because a pump doesn't fail completely leaving you stranded, doesn't mean it's functioning 100%.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yes I'm an "internet flexboy" and not someone who actually knows how a car works. Please don't listen to me and keep replacing LPFPs in search of those mad MPGs and solution to low speed jerkiness lol

You should all definitely take the advice of @FocalPoint , a guy who can't even change his own exhaust.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
but my jerkiness off the line is more than likely the clutch packs or mech.
Yeah or it's your tune, or you need your valves cleaned, or you need new injectors, or it's your spark plugs...

It's about 20 other things to cause jerkiness or low MPGs before you get to the LPFP

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If your LPFP isn't priming you'll have issues with start up, not so much jerkiness from a red light.

If you suspect your LPFP is bad there are other things you can do to actually test it before you just go throwing money at it

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah or it's your tune, or you need your valves cleaned, or you need new injectors, or it's your spark plugs...
I have tried with and without tune, stock exhaust vs aftermarket, have done carbon cleaning twice, all new injectors, all new sparks, all new coil packs, new o2 sensors, new fuel filter, different gas stations, only running cruise control.

So a LPFP isnt a stretch at this point for me aha

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I have tried with and without tune, stock exhaust vs aftermarket, have done carbon cleaning twice, all new injectors, all new sparks, all new coil packs, new o2 sensors, new fuel filter, different gas stations, only running cruise control

So a LPFP isnt a stretch at this point for me aha
Yes I could see how you would be at the end of your rope, but some posters in this thread are just like "hey I gots low MPGs, I'm ordering an LPFP right now!" And that's dumb for a multitude of reasons.

Have you checked your high-pressure pump and done a compression test on your engine?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I do have intermittent start up issues. Random crank and stall then next try it starts right up. Could be starter, this I know.
Could be starter, could be fouled injectors, could be bad coil packs. Doubt it's your LPFP