GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help, Car will not lock!

ign 5

Hello guys, new to this page, but have lurked for years as I have had quite a few VWs..

Anyway, I bought a 2010 GTI last week, and the doors will not lock, none. Not with the remote, not with the button on the door (either side). I asked the PO about it, he said he went out to his car one day, and it would not lock. He said he replaced the switch on the driver door, that didn't, work..so he gave up.

It is quite strange because it literally does nothing. The lights will not flash, not a click, not a sound form a relay...literally nothing, but unlock works on everything.
I have tried to pop off the cover, and lock the doors this way, and it will lock the driver door, but nothing electric, so the hatch, and the pass door will remain unlocked using this method. I am able to roll up and down the windows using the key hole.
For the hell of it, I replaced the key fob battery, and no change. I knew it would not change anything, as the buttons on the doors also will not lock it..but might as well make sure.

Everyone I have talked to said it has to be the door lock actuator, I don't think that is what it will be, but I do have one on order, and it will be here in a few days.

Because I don't think that it is, I took it to the VW dealer, and they spent about a half hour on it, and said they could not fix it. Pretty damn strange. I searched via google, and people cant lock the car..but its because of the key fob batteries, and mine is wayyy more than that

Any help would be great, thanks.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Have you went through the fuses and relays? If it was working one day and the next it didn't, sounds like a popped fuse to me.(possibly a relay) start there as it basically free

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Sounds like you have a weird electrical gremlin.

Did the previous owner do any wiring or coding?