GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help Identify Buildup Under Transmission

kern417

Go Kart Champion
It's not where the trans bolts up to the block, so I'm not thinking rear main. Is the trans itself leaking? I had an LSD installed 3 years ago and it hasn't been opened since. But something is definitely building up there as I see it on my skid plate as well.

zrickety

The Fixer
It looks like the gasket in the case where those 5 bolts are. Unless it's wet by that drain plug. Throw a torque wrench on them, you might get lucky. Otherwise you need to split the case.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
You're manual right? That fresh oil drop in the middle looks like gear oil, smell it, gear oil has a distinct smell, so you should be able to tell easily if it is

To check the level, open the fill plug and if nothing comes out, stick your finger in there to see if you feel oil. A filled tranny should have oil right at the bottom of the fill hole

kern417

Go Kart Champion
The hubs coming out of your trans. That connect your axles. If those seals go or they arent tight enough, then they will leak. There is one alan bolt in the center that hold the hub onto the trans. Have to remove the axle out of the way to see it.

ok i'm with you now. i don't think that's it though. i replaced axles last fall and didn't see any leaking. this has actually been there for a while but i thought it was just dirt, but after installing a skidplate and seeing the muck on top of it i realized it's coming from above not below.

You're manual right? That fresh oil drop in the middle looks like gear oil, smell it, gear oil has a distinct smell, so you should be able to tell easily if it is

To check the level, open the fill plug and if nothing comes out, stick your finger in there to see if you feel oil. A filled tranny should have oil right at the bottom of the fill hole

yeah it doesn't smell any particular way. kind of dark and gritty and i wouldn't expect gear oil to look that way. but i'll check the fill hole to see, thanks for the info.