GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help!!!Removing Headliner.

ChrisChen1990

Ready to race!
Does anybody know or have done the headliner removal? I am recently doing a sound deadening for the whole car. I already stripped most of the interior parts but only stuck on removing the headliner. There are four V-clips that I can't really pull out. Here is the picture of the V-clips that look like on the back of the headliner. Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 11.39.03 PM.png
I appreciate every single information that you give it to me. I know the clips on the MKV and MKIV are pretty hard to remove, but at least I want to know if I have to remove those clips with force or there will be a trick.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Does anybody know or have done the headliner removal? I am recently doing a sound deadening for the whole car. I already stripped most of the interior parts but only stuck on removing the headliner. There are four V-clips that I can't really pull out. Here is the picture of the V-clips that look like on the back of the headliner.View attachment 42555
I appreciate every single information that you give it to me. I know the clips on the MKV and MKIV are pretty hard to remove, but at least I want to know if I have to remove those clips with force or there will be a trick.

I just removed and recovered my headliner, I don't really have photographs but I found this thread to be quite useful: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/headliner-removal-and-overhead-light-replacement-mk5-vw-jetta/

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
Not long ago I planned to remove the headliner for a couple of things but gave up after I looked up how arduous the task seemed.

I may have to reconsider now with the step by step provided in the link in graveshb's post.

graveshb

Go Kart Champion
Not long ago I planned to remove the headliner for a couple of things but gave up after I looked up how arduous the task seemed.

I may have to reconsider now with the step by step provided in the link in graveshb's post.

Yea, its difficult for sure, though easier than the jetta in that you can pull it straight out of the back. Very time consuming and honestly even with reupholstering experience, recovering my headliner was far too stressful for me. If yours isn't peeling away I would strongly discourage you from trying it if thats what you were going to do.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
So the headliner is down and those clips are stuck in the roof still? They are actually pretty easy to remove, as there's 6 or 8 total. Take 2 huge 90* pick (not a little dinky one, the ones that are like 1/4" thick and 8 inches long. Take and pry slightly down on the clip leveraging the roof while you use the second to go up in the hole it mounts in and twist it to to push each side in so it releases one at a time. When you pop the second side they pull right out. It sounds complicated but it takes like 15 seconds per clip. Replace the clips with new ones.

Where those clips really come in handy is when installing. Get the headliner in the car and use the headrests to prop it up. Every single part up front (visors, visor clips, overhead consul, all of it) you car preens tall into the headliner. In fact doing so is the only way to get the visor wiring correctly installed. Plus it gives you a chance to lift the front and plug in the headliner harness and verify all the lights work and you didn't damage the flat harness doing removal. Then when installing you just lift the front and push up to pop those V clips into the roof and you're done up front.

When you've done enough sunroofs on newer VW's you learn to love those things. (Panaramic Tiguan sunroof have lots of problems)

Scorpo900

Passed Driver's Ed
Working on mine now, few hints and I will upload photos once I complete the job. The airbag tabs MK6 are easier to remove from the top first using two L shaped grommet removal tools by pressing down the two to retaining clips (they form an X in the back), for the front clips just pull down the headliner and the clips will stay (bad design) the pull the clips as indicated by DBEST GTI above. To reattach clips to headliner I used superstrenght double sided molding tape. Also the bolts are T27 and T20 size screws behind each airbag tab and on every other plastic component with screws (handles, visors, center console, etc.) Center console has a total of 6 screws, to remove open glass holder and remove by pressing two latches on the top with a flat screwdriver or similar tool to reveal 2 screws , pull down the screen cap about the center to reveal two more screws, there's another two in front of the bezel toward windshield.

Scorpo900

Passed Driver's Ed
Update, please use stretchable fabric, I did not and got some creases on the front part. The bends and turns are impossible, unless the fabric gives a little.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
FYI there's no need to tape the clips back onto the headliner. They are attach to the headliner just for faster assembly on the line. If you go through and mount everything to the front prior to putting the headliner up the clips will be bolted to the headliner via the T20s.

Scorpo900

Passed Driver's Ed
True, but not having a second set of hands to hold the headliner up, while connecting the ribbon wires to the visors and reattaching to the roof bracket is a PITA. :) that's why I just pried them out and taped them back. I just completed re install. For not buying the right fabric, it is an 6 out of 10 result, if not be t would been perfect.

Scorpo900

Passed Driver's Ed
These are the type of clips these pieces have.

Where to hook the visor wire and ribbon connector,

Airbag tabs, pure garbage design,

Overall the job is not too hard, installing the new fabric just need to be done with patience and I suggest a 5 inch wide sections at a time, to ensure good stretch. Buy stretchable fabric, my mistake and I paid for it. The part that gets to me is such an expensive car here in US and in Florida they classify as premium, is bull crap, this problem should not happen.

Scorpo900

Passed Driver's Ed
the whole point of the clips is so you don't need a second set of hands to install it
I agree, should have added that I wasn't sure I was going to get the play I needed to connect the ribbon wires, thats why I removed the front clips. In reality it is not needed to remove them and complete the job, but you may have to fish for the screw hole on the ones where the visor hanger goes if they move to the side a little.

ChrisChen1990

Ready to race!
I followed the instruction to remove the headliner. This is my second attempt but unluckily, the v-clips are still not coming off. The back of the headliner is still hanging. I am very disappointed.

ChrisChen1990

Ready to race!
So the headliner is down and those clips are stuck in the roof still? They are actually pretty easy to remove, as there's 6 or 8 total. Take 2 huge 90* pick (not a little dinky one, the ones that are like 1/4" thick and 8 inches long. Take and pry slightly down on the clip leveraging the roof while you use the second to go up in the hole it mounts in and twist it to to push each side in so it releases one at a time. When you pop the second side they pull right out. It sounds complicated but it takes like 15 seconds per clip. Replace the clips with new ones.

Where those clips really come in handy is when installing. Get the headliner in the car and use the headrests to prop it up. Every single part up front (visors, visor clips, overhead consul, all of it) you car preens tall into the headliner. In fact doing so is the only way to get the visor wiring correctly installed. Plus it gives you a chance to lift the front and plug in the headliner harness and verify all the lights work and you didn't damage the flat harness doing removal. Then when installing you just lift the front and push up to pop those V clips into the roof and you're done up front.

When you've done enough sunroofs on newer VW's you learn to love those things. (Panaramic Tiguan sunroof have lots of problems)

No, the headliner doesn't come off, only the back of the headliner. The front part is extremely hard to remove. There are four clips that holding the front part of the headliner I believe.

Scorpo900

Passed Driver's Ed
No, the headliner doesn't come off, only the back of the headliner. The front part is extremely hard to remove. There are four clips that holding the front part of the headliner I believe.
Just simply jank the POS headliner black bracket down, starting from one side, eg. The visor hanger tab/clip. The metal clips will stay on the roof, the plastic brackets that hold the metal clips will break. If you want entirely optional, you can individually remove the clips and glue/tape them back to the black bracket to help you on reinstall. But it is not absolutely necessary. Hope this explains your next step better. :)