GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Flow Cat vs New Downpipe

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Is there something about the stock downpipe that is especially restrictive other than the cat? If I am reading their specs correctly the AWE downpipe is 2.5" but has a high flow cat.

Would replacing the cat in my stock DP with a magnaflow high flow spun metal cat have the same effect as replacing the entire downpipe with an AWE downpipe?

Isj

Go Kart Champion
there are two cats on the stock downpipe, the awe only has one so it won't have the same effect.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
there are two cats on the stock downpipe, the awe only has one so it won't have the same effect.

So replace the first cat with the Magnaflow and straight pipe the second. Same concept. Just figured that I can build my own "AWE" for $100 bucks. My main question is in regard to the restriction in the piping. Are there any crimps or anything that would be fixed by using a mandrel bent downpipe.

NewToVW

Automotive Ninja
You won't be able to replace the first cat. It bolts on right at the turbo flange.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
You won't be able to replace the first cat. It bolts on right at the turbo flange.

Anything with a flange can be replaced :)

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Alternatively I could probably just weld the cat into an Ebay downpipe right? Is the quality of the piece itself poor or just the fact that its catless and has no resonator.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Next time you have your car on a lift, take a look at where the downpipe bolts to the turbo outlet. It looks like it's squished...not good for breathability.

crew219

Banned
On the 2.0t FSI, I knew a few people who removed the first cat by chiseling it out with an air hammer and keeping the 2nd stock cat in place (600 cell). They were able to run stage II programs on it without any issue.

Dave

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Usually. Look at the stock DP if you can find pics on the forum. With the labore you're going to pay its cheaper to buy a DP. Unless youre just going to gut it

Not paying :)