GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Highest Whp R

SHABAZZ X

Passed Driver's Ed
In the spirit of curiosity and friendly competition, who has the highest WHP/WTQ R? Post pics & dyno clips if you got em 😎

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I like it!!!! Subscribed!!!

Would love to get mine dyno'd, maybe I will after I fix the boost leak.

Be sure to list Turbo, fueling, and Tuner!!!!!

SHABAZZ X

Passed Driver's Ed
I like it!!!! Subscribed!!!

Would love to get mine dyno'd, maybe I will after I fix the boost leak.

Be sure to list Turbo, fueling, and Tuner!!!!!
El yeah man! I just subscribed to your build thread. Looking forward to seeing your numbers ✌️

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
2018 R.

stock turbo. Stock fueling. Apr stage 1 91 octane low tq and apr dsg tunes. Haldex controller set to 50/50. IE intake, the older version, not the cool newer one.

319whp 331wtq (Denver Colorado elevation sucks for boost)

my brothers car. Not mine.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
mk7:

mk6:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
2018 R.

stock turbo. Stock fueling. Apr stage 1 91 octane low tq and apr dsg tunes. Haldex controller set to 50/50. IE intake, the older version, not the cool newer one.

319whp 331wtq (Denver Colorado elevation sucks for boost)

my brothers car. Not mine.

So this is the MK6 forum....... ;)

Also boost is awesome at altitude, the turbo still has a target PSI and while it may take it longer to get there it comes out way ahead of the NA engine struggling to breath like an athesmatic runner after a smoke break. LOL

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
So this is the MK6 forum....... ;)

Also boost is awesome at altitude, the turbo still has a target PSI and while it may take it longer to get there it comes out way ahead of the NA engine struggling to breath like an athesmatic runner after a smoke break. LOL
Sorry man I didn’t know this was a mk6 thread. My bad.

you’re right and wrong. My Subaru has to spin to 25 psi just so I can see 22psi. My gti apr stage 1 (my crap elevation mind you) put down 280whp and 320wtq. On this same dyno, stock my 2020 gti put down 205whp

I haven’t found a way to measure and compare actual boost vs td boost error against rpm in my logging. It’ll show you the losses at altitude. But I don’t think I can do it via obd11. Things got very hot and very inefficient real quick, till boost finally begins to taper off.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Really? No high HP builds on here?

That’s cool n all, But more lookin for folks on here to post their cars and specs. Pretty crazy that mk6 is running 10’s on stock internals tho.
oh im sure there are a few, but not everyone building wants to share their build details. also being an english speaking forum we're limiting ourselves a bit to our audience.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Ehh HP numbers are only part of the equation.

Most people are probably on the Gram.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
you’re right and wrong.

Story of my life. lol

I'm not saying turbo doesn't lose at altitude. Just saying if you measure PERCENTAGE of loss between a turbo/supercharger and NA engines the forced induction has less loss. So the statement that turbo sucks at altitude requires support that something else is better, but if the determination of better is "does not lose power" there is no such thing. If the detemrination is has the least amount of power loss, the only thing that sucks is NA. One could argue that a supercharger is better than a turbo because of less heat, but then the supercharger robs power from the engine to even run so you would need a more exact comparison which is hard to come by.

The heatsoak issue you refer to is more a vehicle specific design issue than one of a turbo issue. At stg1 the turbo is pushing higher levels past it's design parameters as well as spinning longer to reach target PSI, this is increased due to the altitude. Fitting a larger turbo while running the same map would reduce temps, as would just fitting a larger intercooler.

I tracked the TTRS (a turbo platform lol) several times around Denver and the Springs, never had heatsoak build up. I was running E85 and obviously the TTRS has very effective intercooler already. I also had very little problems with the Corvettes on the track. Now that I am at sea level things are a bit more competitive on track with Corvettes as they get their large chunks of lost power back.

Ehh HP numbers are only part of the equation.

Most people are probably on the Gram.

True, I will be recording lap times this year so I can post those. :cool:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Story of my life. lol

I'm not saying turbo doesn't lose at altitude. Just saying if you measure PERCENTAGE of loss between a turbo/supercharger and NA engines the forced induction has less loss. So the statement that turbo sucks at altitude requires support that something else is better, but if the determination of better is "does not lose power" there is no such thing. If the detemrination is has the least amount of power loss, the only thing that sucks is NA. One could argue that a supercharger is better than a turbo because of less heat, but then the supercharger robs power from the engine to even run so you would need a more exact comparison which is hard to come by.

The heatsoak issue you refer to is more a vehicle specific design issue than one of a turbo issue. At stg1 the turbo is pushing higher levels past it's design parameters as well as spinning longer to reach target PSI, this is increased due to the altitude. Fitting a larger turbo while running the same map would reduce temps, as would just fitting a larger intercooler.

I tracked the TTRS (a turbo platform lol) several times around Denver and the Springs, never had heatsoak build up. I was running E85 and obviously the TTRS has very effective intercooler already. I also had very little problems with the Corvettes on the track. Now that I am at sea level things are a bit more competitive on track with Corvettes as they get their large chunks of lost power back.

True, I will be recording lap times this year so I can post those. :cool:
I moved from Miami to Denver. Sea level to this shit

my positive displacement stage 3 cobalt SS took a 10hp hit. Built K24 swapped eg took a gnarly hit. But all the turbo k20’s and k24’s took the absolute worse hit. They’ve all been dyno’d at lujan in Miami. And at PFI in Greely Colorado

not saying your wrong. Just saying it didn’t line up with what we saw

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I moved from Miami to Denver. Sea level to this shit

my positive displacement stage 3 cobalt SS took a 10hp hit. Built K24 swapped eg took a gnarly hit. But all the turbo k20’s and k24’s took the absolute worse hit. They’ve all been dyno’d at lujan in Miami. And at PFI in Greely Colorado

not saying your wrong. Just saying it didn’t line up with what we saw

Used to live in Evans right next to Greeley!!

If data points say I'm wrong then there is that, but when data points don't make sense it makes me want to dive deeper. There just no way a NA engine can suck in thin air better than a forced induction can. It's like saying you can inhale a more powerful breath than if you sucked on a compressor line. Supercharged aircraft ruled the skies in WW2 thanks to the supercharger driving performance at high altitudes.

No experience with those platforms so hard to dive into what may be causing it other than altitude. From quick searches is a Stage 3 Cobalt a supercharger add on?

We're way off topic here but damnit I love a good mystery. lol

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Used to live in Evans right next to Greeley!!

If data points say I'm wrong then there is that, but when data points don't make sense it makes me want to dive deeper. There just no way a NA engine can suck in thin air better than a forced induction can. It's like saying you can inhale a more powerful breath than if you sucked on a compressor line. Supercharged aircraft ruled the skies in WW2 thanks to the supercharger driving performance at high altitudes.

No experience with those platforms so hard to dive into what may be causing it other than altitude. From quick searches is a Stage 3 Cobalt a supercharger add on?

We're way off topic here but damnit I love a good mystery. lol
i dunno, it's what we saw. i wonder if it was the variable valve timing that made the na motors suffer less?

oh sorry a stage 3 cobalt ss/sc has a tvs blower, no cats. the tvs is still a roots style and a positive displacement style blower. I will say this, the dual 10a rotary didnt take a hit at all. while the single turbo 13b took a very huge hit.

regardless, they're all way slower in the 1/4. even the dual 10a rotary.

I know evans! real clean air there lol.