GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm going to be Stage 2+ in the near future!

nimda

Ready to race!
Hi fellow MK6ers

Not trying to brag, just excited. I've been Stage 1 for almost 7000 miles and I just ordered the HPFP and other odds and ends to complete the Stage 2+ requirements. Called the closest APR shop and scheduled for Wednesday of next week....

Still very excited to see what the Golf can do, I'm planning to do the clutch before next Winter. I can say that if the Stage 2+ is near as reliable as the Stage 1 I'm done modding the motor until after my first 60K miles (warranty and all).

Plans to tackle brake lights, and interior mods (LED lighting, dash cubby, and underseat storage) next.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
I've been 2+ for about 16k miles. Replaced the cam follower after about 14k miles and it was still in fine shape, but since I had it and had pulled the pump I swapped it anyway.

2+ with the 100 octane map is pretty good. I recommend getting a Haldex controller and intercooler next, those were two of my better mods.

nimda

Ready to race!
yeah I've been looking/reading about the Haldex.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Did you have an issue with it? How often do ya'll change it? Every other oil change?

Most guys are saying to check/change it every 20k miles to make sure it's okay.

I change my oil every 5k and keep an extra follower on hand. I'm going to just check it every 15k miles, takes about 10 minutes. Mine was still serviceable, but the coating was wearing on the friction surface so I swapped it.

Last edited:

nimda

Ready to race!
yeah I ordered one with the new pump. I'm curious to see what mine looks like at 7K miles on a stage 1 2012.

but I planned on swapping it anyways.... quick question... (I know ... use the search) but I had VW do my service early... and I'm going to do a in-between change. Does oil help with this issue at all? Sorry if stupid.

NINJAEDIT:

Guys at APTuning said parts will be here Friday... So should be good to go by wed... I'm assuming that the pump only takes about an hour MAX!!! I'm thinking it's a 3 beer project!

Last edited:

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
yeah I ordered one with the new pump. I'm curious to see what mine looks like at 7K miles on a stage 1 2012.

but I planned on swapping it anyways.... quick question... (I know ... use the search) but I had VW do my service early... and I'm going to do a in-between change. Does oil help with this issue at all? Sorry if stupid.

NINJAEDIT:

Guys at APTuning said parts will be here Friday... So should be good to go by wed... I'm assuming that the pump only takes about an hour MAX!!! I'm thinking it's a 3 beer project!

Oil won't really matter here, just keep a good oil change cycle.

The follower is just a flat faced cup with a coating on it that rides on a lobe of a camshaft, so it will wear over time.

Pulling the pump is simple, basically just bleed the pressure of the gas line, disconnect the fuel lines and an electronic connection. Then remove the bolts. If you search you'll find a couple good HowTo pages with pics.

nimda

Ready to race!
.... saw that coming...

Congrat nimda, going stage II myself also

Haha... I almost sent you a PM, since we have been trying to get this going for months....

What DP are you running? Are you running it with your Stage I tune?

Mindfields

Ready to race!
Haha... I almost sent you a PM, since we have been trying to get this going for months....

What DP are you running? Are you running it with your Stage I tune?

Going to run the SPM as well, it's sitting and gathering dust for the last few months, you got a 10k head start on me, as I'm almost 17,000mi