GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior Rattle Driving Me Crazy

Trevor_mk6_

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, praying someone has had this issue before and can give insight.
2010 VW GTI 4 Door

Behind the driver seat, there is a rattle that is off and on. It will always rattle at a specific RPM, typically 1500ish, and over bumps and other road imperfections. I have taken all my personal belongings out of the car but the rattle is still there. I lifted up the rear seat and nothing is loose. I looked under the car and nothing is loose. It sounds like it's coming from under the carpet or something. I'm going mad and starting to hate driving my car. Any insight is very appreciated.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Rattles in cars can be tricky because of all of the reflective surfaces. Rattles can sound like they are coming from somewhere but actually be coming from a completely different place. The common complaints in these cars are the center arm rest, hatch cover, and eyeglass holder in the roof console. If you can get someone to drive your car while you sit in the back that could help you identify the rattle.

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Hey all, praying someone has had this issue before and can give insight.
2010 VW GTI 4 Door

Behind the driver seat, there is a rattle that is off and on. It will always rattle at a specific RPM, typically 1500ish, and over bumps and other road imperfections. I have taken all my personal belongings out of the car but the rattle is still there. I lifted up the rear seat and nothing is loose. I looked under the car and nothing is loose. It sounds like it's coming from under the carpet or something. I'm going mad and starting to hate driving my car. Any insight is very appreciated.
Like GiJoe said the area could be somewhere else. This reads like my experience which ended up being a rusting out resonator and exhaust clamp. You mentioned certain RPMs and bumps, which could jostle anything loose under the car, or alter the frequency of vibration...exhaust, heat shield, etc. Worth a look with your car's age, and if it's the original exhaust.

Trevor_mk6_

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll have to go under the car again and triple check all the exhaust bolts. Still open to other opinions as well!

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Remove stuff from the car. From the trunk, glove compartment, etc... and see if you can still hear it. Attach a GoPro or any camera and let it record from inside the car, use a GoPro for exterior recording if you can.

Find out where the rattle is coming from by letting someone else drive it as others have suggested. Best approach.

Tyler12108

Go Kart Newbie
I have a rattle that appears sometimes that is SUPER annoying and it is actually the fender liner behind the brakes, it is one of the screws that also has a snap in part on the back that comes undone

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Also check with hand brake button to see if it’s loose. When it’s loose and rattles, it makes it sound like it’s coming from the rear.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Anyone heard a higher-pitch rattle that seems to be coming from the rear ohshit handle on the driver's side? I've been trying to track it down but no dice so far.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Like GiJoe said the area could be somewhere else. This reads like my experience which ended up being a rusting out resonator and exhaust clamp. You mentioned certain RPMs and bumps, which could jostle anything loose under the car, or alter the frequency of vibration...exhaust, heat shield, etc. Worth a look with your car's age, and if it's the original exhaust.
This. I'm trying to track down the source of a rattle coming on acceleration. I just installed a new DP so I'm thinking it's one of the connections. Only happens under heavy boost seemingly but it sounds like metal on metal. It's annoying as fuck. Already been under the car to tighten everything too.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I've spent more than a decade building hi-fi car stereos, so rattles are something I've dealt with for a long time! I'm telling you, they can be really sneaky. You'll save a ton of time if you can get someone to drive you around while you move from seat to seat and listen. Have them pull over, hop in the back and drive some more. If you can get someone to help you, this process of finding the rattle will be 100 times faster. Once you find the source, then fixing the rattle will depend on exactly what's causeing the noise. The fix could be a vibration dampener (dynamat), closed cell foam, silicone sealant, tightening a screw, loosening a screw, etc. A loose screw could cause two pieces to rattle together since there is too much play, an overly tight screw can cause panels to squeek together since they don't have the flex/play they need.

First you'll need to pinpoint the exact source of the noise, and having someone drive you around is the easiest solution.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Could be speakers rattling in place sometimes yeah

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
I've spent more than a decade building hi-fi car stereos, so rattles are something I've dealt with for a long time! I'm telling you, they can be really sneaky. You'll save a ton of time if you can get someone to drive you around while you move from seat to seat and listen. Have them pull over, hop in the back and drive some more. If you can get someone to help you, this process of finding the rattle will be 100 times faster. Once you find the source, then fixing the rattle will depend on exactly what's causeing the noise. The fix could be a vibration dampener (dynamat), closed cell foam, silicone sealant, tightening a screw, loosening a screw, etc. A loose screw could cause two pieces to rattle together since there is too much play, an overly tight screw can cause panels to squeek together since they don't have the flex/play they need.

First you'll need to pinpoint the exact source of the noise, and having someone drive you around is the easiest solution.

Have you done sound deadening on the MK6?
I have put CLD, CCF on headliner and trunk door.
Sprayed Second Skin Spectrum on wheel well.
Also put some CLD under the rear seat and spare tire area.
However I still think the car has a lot of road noise, shall I also do a full treatment (CLD CCF MLV) on the 4 doors?
Any recommendation?

tdream1

Autocross Newbie
I have a 2010 as well and one of my rear brake dust covers had rotted through after 11 years in New England. It took me a while to find it, but had it replaced as soon as I identified it. The opposite rear one went not long after.

Last edited: