GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 help

Treeinacan

Passed Driver's Ed
I see that there are many people and websites selling a k04 kit but is there a difference in what company i buy it from? Like Apr costs way more than the awe but they both supposedly put out the same hp and awe bring a giac software so that means even less money. Also the same thing with mounts. What brand should they be? honestly i just dont want to pay more just because of the brand and i want it to last. Same with exhaust, anyone know any good brands. Honestly i have a friend that has a gti that is apr from top to bottom but i think he has just wasted his money just for the brand so he really doesnt know about any other brands so i was wondering if you guys could help. I have a 2013 GTI.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
well your first problem is worrying about the price. yeah you might save a few bucks buying a certain brand of ko4 but you still have to get certain mods down the road to support the ko4. so where's the money saved? do you have plans for intake.exhaust, ic and so on?

Treeinacan

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I mean i definatly want a apr intercooler and i will be getting a turbo back exhaust and a intake and diverter valve, so what your saying is that i should just go with the apr one?

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I mean i definatly want a apr intercooler and i will be getting a turbo back exhaust and a intake and diverter valve, so what your saying is that i should just go with the apr one?

its your choice. which ko4 vendor is closest to you?

A_Bowers

APR is the only manufacturer that uses the CNC port for the DV. Everyone else has to run a relocation kit. The Turbo itself isn't changed. Its an OEM Borg Warner k04 turbo with a few modified bits.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Treeinacan

Passed Driver's Ed
alright and i know this is kinda off topic but what else will i need for the k04, Like will mounts be necessary?

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
alright and i know this is kinda off topic but what else will i need for the k04, Like will mounts be necessary?

If you intend on using your power, yes.

Ideally K04 at least = intake, intercooler, DP/TBE, mounts.

6MT will need a clutch, arguably a full kit. Some are running the Southbend Stage 3 drop in, which is a less expensive disc only alternative, with K04 and have no issues. For DSG, an HPA tune is not necessary but beneficial.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
apr is for the peace of mind that you have a warranty (or at least support if you buy used) on both a tune and hardware that were designed to go together. during seasonal sales like the one they have now, the price is a little closer to another company's kit+tune, since their kit price includes the tune.

i always recommend to run apr if you can, just don't pay full price :thumbsup: the sales come around too often to do that. and, again, buying used you can save even more.

If you intend on using your power, yes.

Ideally K04 at least = intake, intercooler, DP/TBE, mounts.

6MT will need a clutch, arguably a full kit. Some are running the Southbend Stage 3 drop in, which is a less expensive disc only alternative, with K04 and have no issues. For DSG, an HPA tune is not necessary but beneficial.

dont forget some good coil overs to put the power to the ground!

Hadoukyuu

Passed Driver's Ed
You know you wanna get it...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Necessary for a K04? That's a tough call, but this isnt just some walk in the park. Its Beyond Stage 2 which means you're going to need to modify it alot to get everything out of it.

Check out my build:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27389

To me, I've modified my car to match the handle the appropriate power increase from the K04. Here's what I believe are the essentials for the best K04 build:

- K04 (Obviously)
- Intake
- Downpipe (Dont really need a CBE)
- Mounts (All three, engine, trans, and dogbone)
- Suspension (Springs/coilovers, Sway bars, subframe stiffening)
- TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES TIRES. Whats the point of that power if it cant be transferred to the ground?
- Intercooler
- If you have a manual.....you'll definitely need a clutch or a clutch plate upgrade
- DSG....you dont really need a flash, but its definitely worth it

Do it right or you'll regret it.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
APR is the only manufacturer that uses the CNC port for the DV. Everyone else has to run a relocation kit. The Turbo itself isn't changed. Its an OEM Borg Warner k04 turbo with a few modified bits.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Both HPA and Revo offer TSI K04 kits also have the DV port on the compressor housing, and I believe RAI also gives an option of either oem or relocated with a Synapse valve. They all CNC machine the port.

The phrasing here makes it seem like the housing DV location is called "the CNC port" but I think you meant a port created using a CNC machining process.

All the K04s are made by BW. All K04 software was designed for K04 hardware.