GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KDR Motorwerks Release: TSI Grounding Kit

John@KDRmotorwerks

Passed Driver's Ed
Again, I'm an ME. I dont have much to parttake in this discussion. Thats why I consulted our Lead EE, because I WAS curious about the kit and was thinking about purchasing one. I was just relaying what he said. I apologize if it came out bad. It did seem kind of ignorant.

With THAT being said. I've have taken the jump and will get one of these kits to review. I plan to keep a very unbiased approach and take lots of pics. I'll keep to what I can objectively, but constructionwise, I might have to resort to my professional Quality opinion. At that point, its sort of take it with a grain of salt.

What would objectively help prove the gains from this mod electrically? OHM meter? Current Meter?....Again, I know a fair share of wiring and electricity but still get a little foggy. I'm more of a motion, mechanical properties, thermodynamics guy....but the logic should be easy to figure out.

Any ideas?

Why not consult with your lead EE one last time, I'm sure he has more knowledge than most here. :thumbsup:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Why not consult with your lead EE one last time, I'm sure he has more knowledge than most here. :thumbsup:

I can talk to him again, but I'm awaiting a PM from you.

Can you tell us the number of grounds on the motor? And which components are grounded?
This isnt a Toyota like you mentioned previously.
VW grounds practically every major electrical component that has a function on the engine.
marketing bs aside...your product wont do much if anything for this motor. If VW felt it needed more grounds they wouldve added a large copper strap like they did with the MK1 going from the cylinder head to the negative terminal of the battery.

Good luck.

John@KDRmotorwerks

Passed Driver's Ed
This isnt a Toyota like you mentioned previously.
VW grounds practically every major electrical component that has a function on the engine.
marketing bs aside...your product wont do much if anything for this motor. If VW felt it needed more grounds they wouldve added a large copper strap like they did with the MK1 going from the cylinder head to the negative terminal of the battery.

Good luck.

Thanks for your opinion, but you did not answer my question.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
With THAT being said. I've have taken the jump and will get one of these kits to review. I plan to keep a very unbiased approach and take lots of pics. I'll keep to what I can objectively, but constructionwise, I might have to resort to my professional Quality opinion. At that point, its sort of take it with a grain of salt.

I will be interested to see some actual specs on these and read your observations.

My car starts just fine, my throttle is fully responsive, and $50 buys a lot of other stuff. So, any "gains" would have to be significant for me to be interested even a little.

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
Again, I'm an ME. I dont have much to parttake in this discussion. Thats why I consulted our Lead EE, because I WAS curious about the kit and was thinking about purchasing one. I was just relaying what he said. I apologize if it came out bad. It did seem kind of ignorant.

What would objectively help prove the gains from this mod electrically? OHM meter? Current Meter?....Again, I know a fair share of wiring and electricity but still get a little foggy. I'm more of a motion, mechanical properties, thermodynamics guy....but the logic should be easy to figure out.

Any ideas?

Hopefully you didn't take my last post as being completely aimed at you. Just trying to clarify a little of what the OP had said throughout.

You seem to be one of the few on here that can test it out and be given the benefit of the doubt as to ethically evaluating their product from an outside perspective.

As for tools, I'd say a VAG-COM and a ohm meter. Although, if your lead EE has a good FLUKE multi-meter, he can use that, too.

Does VCDS allow for the reading of throttle response time?

BigRobSA

Ready to race!
This is all you needed to know :)

Engineers build in obsolescence and allow for a certain percentage of variance.

In most circuits, there is room for improvement.

***I'd be interested in Grambles' results, honestly. I also doubt there'd be MUCH improvement, but have seen it in the past on several vehicles, and have seen circuits that passed muster end up being complete and utter shit.***

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Hopefully you didn't take my last post as being completely aimed at you. Just trying to clarify a little of what the OP had said throughout.

You seem to be one of the few on here that can test it out and be given the benefit of the doubt as to ethically evaluating their product from an outside perspective.

As for tools, I'd say a VAG-COM and a ohm meter. Although, if your lead EE has a good FLUKE multi-meter, he can use that, too.

Does VCDS allow for the reading of throttle response time?

We do have a good FLUKE meter at work, but I dont have VAGcom. I'll see what I can do.

kniteshift

Ready to race!
damn, you nerds are really getting in on it huh?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

Uberryan

Banned
Where are you located Grambles? I have a vagcom, if you're nearby we can make use of it.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I'm in AL. Kind of a long drive lol