GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

knock noise driving me crazy; RSB/endlink?

labrite34

Passed Driver's Ed
i have been disassembling and reassembling my rear suspension for a while now, multiple times, trying to find the root of the knock noise. hopefully someone has had something similar.

H&R Rear Sway Bar with Whiteline Adjustable End Links, KW Coilovers.

Knock noise comes from ONE SIDE, the passenger side, when (what seems to be) one wheel is lifted and the other is down (hence why I believe its the sway bar, or related), and driving slow. When I get to >20mph, it goes away. When backing out of an inclined driveway onto the flat road at an angle, the knock noise happens 100% of the time (twice; one when one wheel is lifted, and again when it returns to the same height as the other wheel)

The wrench in the system here is, I disconnect my end link where it meets the sway bar, thus isolating the bar and end links so there would be no load on them. When backing out of my driveway, the noise doesn't seem to be as prevalent, but driving down the road ~10mph, the noise is there. I can't imagine the end links making this noise w/o being connected to the RSB, and I can't imagine the RSB moving on its own. I have tightened the RSB brackets bolts to 15 ft/lbs, 20 ft/lbs and even a bit more. I have used new RSB bracket bolts, and I have swapped the end links on the passenger side. The coilovers have come out to make sure that top mount was secured. No issue there.

Jacking the car up and doing some push/pulling on the suspension components gives me no results either. I am lost what to try next.

zrickety

The Fixer
Have you looked at the trailing arm and associated bushings?

labrite34

Passed Driver's Ed
Would I be able to tell if this was the source of the noise w/o swapping the bushing? I have not thought to check this, but I can look into it.

labrite34

Passed Driver's Ed
Just to update in case anyone encounters this problem themselves...

the problem isnt completely resolved but I pulled my rear struts out (KW), and the rear passenger is essentially seized. I can move the strut into and out of the body by hand, but it will not move on it's own. I have reinstalled my stock struts and the noise has largely subsided (though, not completely).

At this point, I am going to replace all bolts and see if that corrects the issue.