GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ko4 Upgrade and Emissions

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
where on the stock dp would the new O2 sensor need to go?

Right where the hole is on this photo.

On the CBFA turbo they just put it actually on the turbo's manifold.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
On the CBFA turbo they just put it actually on the turbo's manifold.

Oh, now I see what you're saying. The K04 doesn't have a bung?

P

plac

damn.. thanks for reminding me of this.. my UR downpipe doesnt have a top bung.. which would be needed for a K04 install..

guess thats why they call it fine print.. i didnt see it earlier..

² CBFA requires exhaust modification to maintain use of the OEM downpipe system.. Please call for details.

Last edited:

necro1234

Sooooo

For those who are curious about this...
I have a Mk6 CBFA GTI that I went full out APR on, from the FMIC, Intake, RSC turboback, upgraded valve springs (was getting valve float) K04 turbo... The whole shebang.

In the "good ol days" I could set it to Stock mode, hook up the vagcom and run the readiness routine when the engine and all was warmed up, get 1 not to pass on the cat and be good to pass emissions.

Then one eventful day, my tune at the APR dealer got updated after the whole EPA deal ....

I then came to find out that getting readiness via the Stock mode on the ECU was no longer an option, I was told this was from the EPA crack down.

I eventually came to a point where passing emissions in my County was not feasible for me any longer and the dealerships no longer willing to help in any regard with this, so I heard about this option...

I just got the stock CBFA downpipe modified with an addition O2 bung/sensor up top and the "detuned" K04 program flashed.

For those who are curious, compared to what I had it's sad....., rather sad indeed ...

Responsiveness is gone, both in acceleration and from pulling off from a stop, the car feels like a turbo car again with noticable turbo lag where before it just had constant pull across the board.

Sad days, I guess I'll hold onto the old downpipe in hopes to figure out something to get it back in action in the near future.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Sooooo

For those who are curious about this...
I have a Mk6 CBFA GTI that I went full out APR on, from the FMIC, Intake, RSC turboback, upgraded valve springs (was getting valve float) K04 turbo... The whole shebang.

In the "good ol days" I could set it to Stock mode, hook up the vagcom and run the readiness routine when the engine and all was warmed up, get 1 not to pass on the cat and be good to pass emissions.

Then one eventful day, my tune at the APR dealer got updated after the whole EPA deal ....

I then came to find out that getting readiness via the Stock mode on the ECU was no longer an option, I was told this was from the EPA crack down.

I eventually came to a point where passing emissions in my County was not feasible for me any longer and the dealerships no longer willing to help in any regard with this, so I heard about this option...

I just got the stock CBFA downpipe modified with an addition O2 bung/sensor up top and the "detuned" K04 program flashed.

For those who are curious, compared to what I had it's sad....., rather sad indeed ...

Responsiveness is gone, both in acceleration and from pulling off from a stop, the car feels like a turbo car again with noticable turbo lag where before it just had constant pull across the board.

Sad days, I guess I'll hold onto the old downpipe in hopes to figure out something to get it back in action in the near future.
Can’t you just install the stock downpipe and pass with an appropriate tune?

necro1234

Can’t you just install the stock downpipe and pass with an appropriate tune?
This is really what I've done, just that the appropriate tune is the "stock/detuned K04 tune from APR" with the modified stock DP which when I attempted first didn't fit with the APR K04 I had installed all those years back, and required a custom adapter to make work.... (The Stock program in the high torque/flow file stopped allowing the readiness to Pass after the update, my shop said they got told the version I had is no longer available and I'm out of luck for this now)

With this (the stock K04 file for the K04+stock downpipe) in place I can pass (although I also then have to get readiness set which on the CBFA can take a good few miles), then install back the high flow cat, at which point I need to have the tune for this reflashed at the dealer every time which isn't free. (And they have made clear they have zero interest in aiding me in this as it puts them at risk)

At this point the hassle really isn't worth it anymore for me as busy as my work life is to make time for this BS, this is currently a compromise.

I read on vwvortex some posters saying "they don't feel much difference" with this tune/option.

I just wanted to post as someone who has done this, what my observations are for those who have read "there isn't really a noticeable difference".

Thanks 👍

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Clarification: We have never, and will never, do anything to make readiness pass.
We have never offered anything, at any point in time, that would cause readiness to pass any differently than stock. Never forced. Never altered to pass.

necro1234

Hi Arin, all I know is the map I used to have with the full RSC turboback bolted on allowed me to set stock mode (program 1), hook up the vagcom (after everything was warmed up from a drive) and run the readiness routine to get all but 1 (cat efficiency) to Pass.

After the vehicle came back from my APR dealer for a service, this method stopped working, they also started to complain about getting the vehicle to pass easily anymore and the lengths needed to make this happen.

When I asked why the above method doesn't look to be working anymore, I was told the Map got updated, and the new revision doesn't look to allow this anymore.

I'm by no means saying what APR or anyone else did or didn't do (but appreciate your clarification), but I am 10000000% assuring you of how I used to go about this to get a Pass, and with the full RSC turboback installed, so why this stopped working after the update I can't say for sure, other than what my dealer said which may have been more opinion/assumption based.

I'd love to know any truths that you may have to set me straight on this since I really only have what I did successfully for a good number of years and what my APR dealer told me, which then ultimately led to me going the modified stock DP route with the "Stock K04 Map".

Thank you Sir
Clarification: We have never, and will never, do anything to make readiness pass.

We have never offered anything, at any point in time, that would cause readiness to pass any differently than stock. Never forced. Never altered to pass.

Last edited:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Yea, I had the old K04 file where APR had the o2 sensor monitor turned off(prevent CEL), but since it was turned off the readiness will never be complete. But since the EPA crackdown, every tuner cannot disable any monitors hence the update for all tuners. I did switch to COBB after, since reverting to stock is much easier than having to go to an APR dealer to reflash everytime.

necro1234

Yea, I had the old K04 file where APR had the o2 sensor monitor turned off(prevent CEL), but since it was turned off the readiness will never be complete. But since the EPA crackdown, every tuner cannot disable any monitors hence the update for all tuners. I did switch to COBB after, since reverting to stock is much easier than having to go to an APR dealer to reflash everytime.
Thank you, this makes perfect sense and is along the lines of what I suspected.

Appreciate you confirming that, I may look into Cobb at some point, assuming you went the custom tune route by uploading recordings for your setup.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion

Alpinee30

Go Kart Newbie
As long as all readiness pass it doesn't matter the tune on the Car if you have a CARB sticker. I did not flash back to COBB STG1 from my Stratified tune. I put the Stock DP on drive it there smog it and put the DP back on after. I did this in the beginning of October.

I did it out of curiosity to see if it would fail. It did not.

This is also a reason to go TTE450 if your CBFA because the stock CBFA Down pipe fits. I will see how that goes in a few.

Last edited:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
That is some good info, didn't realize the TTE450 have o2 bung on the manifold
As long as all readiness pass it doesn't matter the tune on the Car if you have a CARB sticker. I did not flash back to COBB STG1 from my Stratified tune. I put the Stock DP on drive it there smog it and put the DP back on after. I did this in the beginning of October.

I did it out of curiosity to see if it would fail. It did not.

This is also a reason to go TTE450 if your CBFA because the stock CBFA Down pipe fits. I will see how that goes in a few.