GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

koni coilover problems

carlitosz

In my case it is the fronts.

Every time I turn left or right there is a clunking noise. It is very annoying and not what I want on a brand new car. The springs are B&G and the drop looks fantastic. I had the springs installed at a shop so I`m not sure if the rubber pads are there or not.

I`ll check today and report shortly. If they are not there that could be the reason for the sound. Other than that the springs and the drop is just what i wanted.

MK6 DSWEEE

Ready to race!
its called spring bind, i belive, or your axel to frame i have they almost err wur, but thats what you get for b-ing loowwwwww

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
In my case it is the fronts.

Every time I turn left or right there is a clunking noise. It is very annoying and not what I want on a brand new car. The springs are B&G and the drop looks fantastic. I had the springs installed at a shop so I`m not sure if the rubber pads are there or not.

I`ll check today and report shortly. If they are not there that could be the reason for the sound. Other than that the springs and the drop is just what i wanted.

Yup it's normal and going to happen...the dead coils bind up & make noise

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
A friend told me to go with coilovers instead of springs, why is that? is it really bettER?

They allow for more adjustability (go low or go REALLY low...your choice)
But coilovers can ride stiff though because they have to accomodate the different drop heights.
The more expensive ones do have adjustable dampers though to help solve that issue

With springs....it's a one height drop, but can give a comfy ride (when paired with the right dampers)

So if you're looking for flexibility in the drop height & wanna go low....get coilovers.

Get springs if you just wanna drop it once & never deal with it again.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks bro!

They allow for more adjustability (go low or go REALLY low...your choice)
But coilovers can ride stiff though because they have to accomodate the different drop heights.
The more expensive ones do have adjustable dampers though to help solve that issue

With springs....it's a one height drop, but can give a comfy ride (when paired with the right dampers)

So if you're looking for flexibility in the drop height & wanna go low....get coilovers.

Get springs if you just wanna drop it once & never deal with it again.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Here's pics of the Pro-Kit springs....perfect drop & height for me:

Stock...

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
That looks sick! How much did you pay for your pro-kit? Did you change the shocks also?

$206 + shipping....so it was $221 total from TireRack.com

I used the stock shocks since it's such a mild drop :thumbsup:

IMO, it's the PERFECT drop & no reverse rake either....I love it! :D

labella

Passed Driver's Ed
i have eibach coilovers and after about 2 weeks the front driverside started making a noise on bigger bumps. sounded like a metal on metal clunking.

after a week straight at the shop trying to figure it out, changeing the strut mount even still couldnt figure it out. somehow just before giving up and going to VW to have them see if its another issue and probably completetly losing my warrantee.. noticed that there was a bumper kinda thing that turned, that didnt turn on the passanger side. tightened it up and voila!

it was a ring on the top of the treaded part that was loose. mine arent damper adjustable, so it may be where you'd adjust that on coilovers that are adjustable. just an idea... if that made any sense to you...