GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Launching with manual

gkallis

Ready to race!
Hey guys i have a manual gti and i wanted to know how exactly do u launch it so i dont mess up my car. for reference i have all season tires.

DarkCloak

Banned
I went to the drag strip a few weeks ago and found the following technique to work well. I have a mk6 with a stock six speed and an APR stage 1 reflash.

1. Turn off Traction Control
2. Make sure wheel is completely straight (obvious but often overlooked)
3. Foot on clutch pedal in first gear rev to about 3200 rpm.
4. When the green light flashes Give about 95% force with the right foot, and quickly slip the clutch. The XDS will limit the wheel speed. This provides a sweet launch. I found shifting between 6200 and 6300 to be best.

With a stage 1 even as a noob you should be able to break into the high 13s. I was able to pull a 13.78@101. This was at sea level abut with very high humidity. I've seen some guys pull a 13.5 at over 105 with a stage 2.

gkallis

Ready to race!
idk man i feel like im doing something wrong lol

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
With a stage 1 even as a noob you should be able to break into the high 13s. I was able to pull a 13.78@101. This was at sea level abut with very high humidity. I've seen some guys pull a 13.5 at over 105 with a stage 2.

You are not that far from me. We have the same weather and humidity. So i should run the same when i get my APR. Did you do any weight reduction? How much do you weight? What track was it?

I just raced mine against a APR stage 1 GTI, i spinned like crazy. (first time every racing in the GTI, and the second time i raced i bogged it.) I just need to find the sweet spot on the concrete. Track/Drag sufface is WAY stickier.

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!

I've never tracked a car before my GTI. I had gotten new 19" wheels the day I had taken it to the track and I had just the APR computer flash (Stage I) and my best of 3 runs was my last. 14.9: where I spun what seemed like almost all of 1st and 2nd.

The first two runs I had forgotten to RE-turn off traction control! Haha! (was sitting in line for a period of time since someone leaked oil on the track and when I turned the car back on it automatically turned traction control on.. i forgot that... until the car bogged like crazy at launch!!!)

I really wanna take the car out there again... but I don't wanna have to buy new 19" tires 6 months post instillation. :mad0259:

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
::rolleyes::

gkallis

Ready to race!
Well it doesn't feel right because when i drop clutch the car kindof just doesnt go for a lil. It drops the rpms and no tire slippage. I feel like traction was still on.

DarkCloak

Banned
Hey CodeB4U
It was Gulfport Dragway in Mississippi. A few notes though are that I had a cold front moving through and it was on a Wednesday night so the temp was only like 75F but it was humid. I also ran fairly late so the track was was real nice and warm.

The meteorology is actually a big deal. Every May at Indy some lucky guy gets "happy hour" where the cold front moves in mid afternoon but the temp of the asphalt is still scorching hot. Thus max power and grip, that guy usually gets the pole.

TomBomb
Yeah, shift in redline (or just shy of it like 6100rpm) at first gear by that I mean the actual redline on the tach, not the fuel shut off. The fuel shut off on these cars is actually 6800rpm. The 6200rpm point on the tach is actually a shift point (which is why the fuel does not shut off dramatically), beyond that power is really not that good and should taper off. The torque especially begins decreasing (look at the dyno chart on goapr.com it is typical of a 2.0T with a stage 1 reflash, probably even for the the other brands like Revo and GIAC).

You can shift above the redline which is how some magazines get a quicker 0-60mph time as in many vehicles it can eliminate the time consuming 2nd to 3rd shift. This though will hurt the 1/4 mile time which is the true test of a vehicle's overall acceleration capacity. 0-60 is just marketing stuff and some manufacturers have actually geared there cars to redline 2nd gear at 60-61mph just to get a few 1/10s on the 0-60 for marketing. This is getting way off topic.

Gkallis.
If the revs drop the tc was probably still on as you would only bog 2nd if you spun your tires violently. It can not be fully disabled though so it actually may help reduce wheelspin a bit. I really don't know though if it (still being slightly on) helps or hurts. After that shift just shy of the redline.

gkallis

Ready to race!
Gkallis.
If the revs drop the tc was probably still on as you would only bog 2nd if you spun your tires violently. It can not be fully disabled though so it actually may help reduce wheelspin a bit. I really don't know though if it (still being slightly on) helps or hurts. After that shift just shy of the redline.

Well i went on a 2 and half hour drive today with my uncle and lets just say i know now why i couldnt launch lol. i held the clutch and literally just sidestepped it. He said that was extremely bad and now i just rev up and pull out the clutch till it catches then drop it.

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
I remember reading a while back about preloading the suspension using the ebrake on a launch but I'm not sure how to do it without frying the clutch. any have any insight?