GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED Headlights in Stock Halogen Housing

vracerw

Passed Driver's Ed
i was curious about these lights and i found the installation documents from their website, did you have any collars included with your kit?

Install the bulbs: Remove the existing bulbs from the headlights. Using the supplied collars, install the
XKGLOW bulbs into the headlights. Following the diagram below, plug the bulbs into the XKGLOW drivers
and the drivers into the stock headlight plugs. Power headlights on to ensure proper install. Connect the
other plug on each bulb to the XKchrome Bluetooth controller.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
How would I go about fitting LED bulbs with a heat sink in a stock halogen housing?

Please don't do this. Your lights won't be any brighter and you're just going to blind the shit out of everyone in front of you.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Do it and piss everybody off

RussellHBH

Please don't do this. Your lights won't be any brighter and you're just going to blind the shit out of everyone in front of you.

I have tinted headlights. Also if it wouldn't be brighter, how would I blind people?

I'm doing this for the RGB functionality, not the brightness of the bulb.

RussellHBH

i was curious about these lights and i found the installation documents from their website, did you have any collars included with your kit?

Install the bulbs: Remove the existing bulbs from the headlights. Using the supplied collars, install the
XKGLOW bulbs into the headlights. Following the diagram below, plug the bulbs into the XKGLOW drivers
and the drivers into the stock headlight plugs. Power headlights on to ensure proper install. Connect the
other plug on each bulb to the XKchrome Bluetooth controller.

They did come with collars however my headlight housing is not compatible with the heatsink of a LED bulb. I have emailed the company with all the information and even pictures showing what the problem was.

They basically said there was nothing they could do and the bulbs could be returned for a full refund.

I may have found a solution but I have yet to see.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i put led bulbs in.. for 30 seconds because my buddy had a spare set. They were whiter but they shined in every direction and i was blinded by them not standing 8 feet away. The halogens have a nice cut off the LEDS do not have any cut off and just shined in every direction.

I think the only way LED bulbs would work would be in a projector lens since it forces the light in a specific pattern.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I haven't really heard any good things about LED bulbs yet. Doesn't seem like they have the technology right yet.

wlu

Passed Driver's Ed
Russell, would love to see why it isn't fitting since I was about to add LEDs to Halogens as well. Is the heatsink too big for the dustcap to be put back on, or would whatever retainer clip just not fit also because of the heatsink?

I see so many types of adapter cilps (for example another style: https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-LED-...RF49/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532466460&sr=8-1 ) that I don't even know which will fit and if it's moreso the heatsink/fan that makes it difficult to install.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I have tinted headlights. Also if it wouldn't be brighter, how would I blind people?

It has nothing to do with brightness. An HID bulb needs to be fit in to a proper projection housing with proper cut off shields or else it will glare/haze out at other drivers and blind them, also known as light scatter. It does not matter how you have them aimed, you cannot control the glare.

In other words, the beam pattern of an HID bulb is sending light EVERYWHERE instead of towards the ground where it belongs.

But don't take my word for it, some very easy google searches will reinforce exactly what I've said.

Last edited:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

I'm doing this for the RGB functionality, not the brightness of the bulb.

Light spread..... its not baout brightness thats why you can have projector headlights with halogen bulbs making 800lumens and hids making 4000lumens in them... They have the proper cutoff to only let light go in one direction.

Here is a pic... car on left has HIDs in halogen housing... car on right normal halogen headlights... Can you see how the one on the left is spread and blinding where as the normal halogen is not spread and doesnt glare the camera? LED bulbs act just like HIDs...

Also colored headlights are illegal in most places... so its probably a good thing you didnt get them to work.

RussellHBH

I have the xkglow RGB's in for my fog lights already. I'm not concerned about the legality of the matter. It seems like the standard housing would be fine with an led bulb. Mostly because of the way it would reflect the light. But if everyone is saying differently...

Any aftermarket headlamps I could look into that don't look atrocious?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I have the xkglow RGB's in for my fog lights already. I'm not concerned about the legality of the matter. It seems like the standard housing would be fine with an led bulb. Mostly because of the way it would reflect the light. But if everyone is saying differently...

Any aftermarket headlamps I could look into that don't look atrocious?
I put led bulbs in mine.. per my original comment on here. I was blinded standing not even a car length away. Halogen reflector housing ONLY work well with halogen bulbs.

As for Projector housings heres a few. All replicas

Regular euro style with LEDS
http://opdparts.com/index.php/volks...projector-headlights-r20-style-led-black.html
Ebay listing (10 bucks less but its ebay so yeah)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/R-Style-E-Code-Projector-Headlights-w-LED-Strip-for-10-14-VW-MK6-Golf-GTI/253602639227?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Ebay listing of euro headlights with NO LED city lights (also blacked out)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Headli...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Mk7 knock off headlights for mk6
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2014-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649