GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Living out of province - Help!

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
Hi there,

I have a question regarding my plates, insurance, etc. I'm a young professional, from Quebec, but I have found a job in Toronto. I will probably living in Vaughan or Woodbridge for a little while.

The thing is, I still am not sure where I'll be in 4 months. Since I got quite a short-term contract, I might be back in Quebec in 2014.

I was wondering if any of you were in that situation before and are aware of the law or rules concerning this? Or maybe how many months can I live in a province without having to transfer all my registrations/paperwork.

To be honest, I really don't want to go through all the hassle of transfering my plates and all, especially since I'll probably move back to Montreal in the near future.

Any input or advice is appreciated :w00t:

edit: My car does have mods too... so there's another reason why Id like to avoid switching my insurance over

Last edited:

Meegis

Ready to race!
cutoff is often 6 months of a full year. As you need to be in your "home territory" majority.

So until you are certain it will be that long, dont worry about it.

Meegis

Ready to race!
Also, Im not condoning it, nor do I recommend it, but I know many out of province people that came for University/College and just kind of stayed under the radar.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
It really depends when your tags expire. If it will remain valid for your expected time in Ontario just keep your current plate and insurance.

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure about insurance and plates, but this could be of use to you regarding your license:
http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Also, Im not condoning it, nor do I recommend it, but I know many out of province people that came for University/College and just kind of stayed under the radar.

To be honest, I've done that already. :( Went to school in TO for 8 months, kept my car in a garage mostly and walked to school. I didn't plan to get a job in town this soon, so I didn't even plan to switch over at the time. Now, I'll wait a few more months to see how things go at the new job.

It really depends when your tags expire. If it will remain valid for your expected time in Ontario just keep your current plate and insurance.

Just renewed my plates like this morning. I received the bill this weekend at my parent's house in Quebec and took the decision to pay it off. I REALLY want to find a job in Montreal before 2014 because my girlfriend and family are there, so I took the risk.

Last edited: