GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lug Nut Question (Stud conversion)

SHABAZZ X

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm doing a stud conversion next week and I wanted to use Rays lug nuts. However, there is a disclaimer that says not to use them with stock wheels. I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for lug nuts that will work with the stock 2013 R wheels. preferably in the same red color.

Thanks

torga

Autocross Champion
They have that disclaimer because they're likely taper seat and a lot (including ours) stock wheels are ball seat. It's hard to find quality "tuner" lug nuts in ball seat.
Any particular reason you wanted RAYS lug nuts? Do they have an interesting lock, or what?

If you're really set on them, you can get taper-to-ball washers in order to use taper seat nuts/bolts on ball seat wheels. They work well. I believe UroTuning sells them.

Edit: I personally wouldn't be using aluminum threads with steel nuts - it's not a great combo, especially when frequently removing/reinstalling. The aluminum threads will wear and gall at a much faster rate than simple steel nuts.
If you truly, truly need the lightweight factor, I would pony up for titanium lug nuts.
And, imo, unless this is gonna be a track slut, you really do not need anything fancier than standard steel lug nuts/bolts.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I couldn't find any red ones in ball seat, unless they were just standard acorn looking. Pretty much every tuner wheel is conical seat. Maybe you could get the 034 ones and have them anodized? I guess you're wanting the longer look tho...

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The weight saving from aluminium lug nuts is truly minuscule. Plus that weight is toward the center of the wheel where losing weight means very little. If you want to drop un-sprung weight buy some lighter wheels. Just my .02.

SHABAZZ X

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to just go with regular steel nuts for now until I get new wheels. It was really just an aesthetic choice to go with the RAYS, I liked the way they looked and I'm a fan of the company.

totalrecall98

I initially installed the 034 stud kit. They're a local company near me and the kit was in a comfortable price range. Functional but nothing fancy to look at.

PB200020.JPG

When the Racingline stud kit got discounted a few points (5%) I decided to go for it even though it is pricey. It was nearly a three-month wait before they shipped, but the quality and finish are outstanding.

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

RacingLine wheel stud.jpg

torga

Autocross Champion
These are the only extended, black, ball seat lugs I've seen. I'm drooling but I can't stomach the $162 cost when I already have a stud conversion installed...I'm dying to fine some lugs like this for cheaper
Would you be opposed to using conversion washers? The selection of cone-seat extended lugs is absolutely endless.
I'm using conversion washers with no issues on a set of cone-set lock bolts.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Would you be opposed to using conversion washers? The selection of cone-seat extended lugs is absolutely endless.
I'm using conversion washers with no issues on a set of cone-set lock bolts.
I am currently using the conversion washers. They're a pain when used on all 5 lugs per wheel. But they do work so I guess I can't complain too much.