GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Snow results

mike444

Passed Driver's Ed
After two snows in 3 days here on MD I've become extremely aware that my P Zeros suck butt in the snow.

I have a set of unmounted Michelin Xice Xi3s in 17" so I'm leaning towards getting the AS3 and getting some beater rims for the snow.

That said, between the DWS and AS3, which should last longer❓I had the DWS on my old 325i and I never got more than 30k miles before they needed replacing. My PZeros only have 26k on them and they are terrible in anything but bone dry.

georgy

Ready to race!
I don't understand wtf people are expecting?

One look at the thread design on the A/S 3s and you should be able to conclude that they'd be mediocre in snow. The DWS will obviously be better.

There is almost as pathetic as the guy who was claiming these outperform the max performance summer tires like the DWs.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
mmm yeah that's the stuff. i just wish the sidewalls didn't round over into the tread like that. they look like the clown shoe version of tires.

i'd just go by the treadwear rating. and make sure you're not spinning everywhere if you want it to last as long as possible. my old set had about 20k on them and i could still see the D/W/S so it had more life in it.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
For $91 just do yourself a favor and buy a set of these with 16" steel rims. General Altimax Arctic.

The best winter snow tire I have bought. I prefer to run them without studs and my whole family uses them.

Read the reviews on tire rack and use the compare feature to compare to the blizzaks. The generals have the same if not better rating and overall score based on customer reviews. All for about $50 cheaper per tire.

You wont feel bad spinning the tires with our FWD wheelspin happy GTI at that cost.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
For $91 just do yourself a favor and buy a set of these with 16" steel rims. General Altimax Arctic.

The best winter snow tire I have bought. I prefer to run them without studs and my whole family uses them.

Read the reviews on tire rack and use the compare feature to compare to the blizzaks. The generals have the same if not better rating and overall score based on customer reviews. All for about $50 cheaper per tire.

You wont feel bad spinning the tires with our FWD wheelspin happy GTI at that cost.

Tire rack seems to be out of these for our 16" -17" tire spec.

pezones

I don't have a GTI, but here is my experience last night with this tire which I posted about in the honda forum which I frequent.

I tried these in a few inches of snow for the first time last night as well.

I was very disappointed with the performance.

The pilot sport a/s plus were much better in the snow. (they got me through 2 of the worst winter storms I can remember in new england).

To make sure, I drove my 07 SI with stock pilot mxm4 (with about 10k mi) back to back in the same area as the 13 SI with the PS3 A/S (with about 2k mi).

The mxm4's were noticeably better. ABS and traction control activation were much less frequent, and the car felt more stable.

I had originally bought the PS3 A/S for my SI, but I assumed being the newest top tier Michelin tire it would be better and safer in all weather that the MXM4's, so I swapped and took the MXM4's on my SI and gave the girl the PS3 A/S.

I have had almost every tire from Michelin on my SI so I have a pretty extensive reference base.

my ratings as far as snow performance

1 Primacy MXM4

2 Pilot Sport A/S Plus

3 Pilot HX MXM4

4 Pilot Exalto A/S (it has been a long time since I had this tire, from what I remember, it was a little worse than the mxm4's in the snow)

5 Pilot Sport A/S 3

I will test again with the next snow in a few days (since every snow is different -temp, moisture, icing etc), if I feel the same way I am going to get a snows for her, which I have felt the need to do with any of my previous Michelins.

dmarsh15

Ready to race!
Tire rack seems to be out of these for our 16" -17" tire spec.

Damn that sucks, those are great tires. Ask Sonny in the sticky thread when they will be getting them in again.

bigpun

Ready to race!
I just bought A/S 3 looking forward getting it installed on Friday. then the next day they are calling for Snow so i may take it for a spin depending how much snow we are getting. i hoping with inch or two of snow it should fine but more than that I'll leave my car in the garage and take my wife AWD Lexus GS.

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
It's funny, based on this thread with impending snow here in IA I swapped out my AS/3 and RSe05s for my stock wheels and dunlop all seasons. The Dunlops have done just fine in the snow so far, I think they will suffice for my winter needs, I'm hoping not to have to purchase a dedicated winter tire but we'll see.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
like any other mod for our (or any) cars it all depends on what you're looking for. where i am one week it will snow and the next week it will be in the 50s and pouring rain, then another week it will be dry but subfreezing. i need something that will get by in all conditions and i know how to drive well enough to make it without the highest performance tire. however for an all-over mediocre setup, DWS trumps all imo due to having superior poor weather handling over the competition.

GTI Geo

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't understand wtf people are expecting?

One look at the thread design on the A/S 3s and you should be able to conclude that they'd be mediocre in snow. The DWS will obviously be better.

There is almost as pathetic as the guy who was claiming these outperform the max performance summer tires like the DWs.

I am not as good as you at judging a tire by its looks. One of these days, I will have to get a set of DWS and see if they are better than the A/S 3's. I have had the Pilot Sport A/S on a 2005 Mustang, and they were good. I just do not have enough experience to say that they were significantly better than the A/S 3's I am running on my GTI. :confused:

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
Update #2, these tires OFFICIALLY suck balls in my books. These things are actually f dangerous for even minor snow use. Awful A/S tires for snow conditions. I don't want to hear BS winter vs A/S, I have been on A/S for over 10 years, FWD, RWD and now FWD platform, and these things actually feel like my summer tire setup I had on a 330ci RWD.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
idky people are still trying to make this work. it's a summer style tire with a compound that won't turn rock solid in cold temp. that is all /thread.