GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Snow results

marylandgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to know, Like the rest of the Marylanders here we get snow a few times a year. And its mostly gone by the next day. So the A3 looks to be a win. Hankook Ventus looks to get good numbers on tire rack but not a lot of info I can find about them. Stock Pirelles have been decent in the snow but have a trade off in the summer. Any feed back would be great

mike444

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I tried out my new AS3s on the snow we had ini MD on Thursday and I made it home safely but all was not perfect, as expected. What started out as rain and melting snow quickly froze to the road ways once temps dropped below freezing. This made for some dangerous conditions as we had a couple inches of snow on top of what was basically ice. I took a couple of corners with small inclines without too much drama. Yes my traction control kicked on and my progress slowed but it was better than my old worn out Perrellis. The real drama occurred on steeper hill within a mile of my house. People could get up the hill and neighbors were out pushing cars up the hill. It is not that steep but maybe 6% grade at its steepest..but it's short, less than 1/8 mile. I left plenty of room prior to my try up the hill and I made fine progress with the traction control slowing my progress as I went as I lost traction, but I was making it. That is until the idiot minivan that went around me 2 mins before before got stuck and I had to stop. Once stopped I could not get going without a small push. Not sure any all season tire would've gotten me up the hill so I'm not going to knock the Michelins.

The rest of my ride home was fine and the roads were completely snow covered. So like the OP said, "Meh". Actually not as bad as I expected and hopefully they will get better with some more miles on them as I had less than 100 miles on them before it snowed.

I still might get my Michelin Xice Xi2s mounted on a set of beater rims but I don't want to spend to much on a set of rims that I will only use like 3 times a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Well I tried out my new AS3s on the snow we had ini MD on Thursday and I made it home safely but all was not perfect, as expected. What started out as rain and melting snow quickly froze to the road ways once temps dropped below freezing. This made for some dangerous conditions as we had a couple inches of snow on top of what was basically ice. I took a couple of corners with small inclines without too much drama. Yes my traction control kicked on and my progress slowed but it was better than my old worn out Perrellis. The real drama occurred on steeper hill within a mile of my house. People could get up the hill and neighbors were out pushing cars up the hill. It is not that steep but maybe 6% grade at its steepest..but it's short, less than 1/8 mile. I left plenty of room prior to my try up the hill and I made fine progress with the traction control slowing my progress as I went as I lost traction, but I was making it. That is until the idiot minivan that went around me 2 mins before before got stuck and I had to stop. Once stopped I could not get going without a small push. Not sure any all season tire would've gotten me up the hill so I'm not going to knock the Michelins.

The rest of my ride home was fine and the roads were completely snow covered. So like the OP said, "Meh". Actually not as bad as I expected and hopefully they will get better with some more miles on them as I had less than 100 miles on them before it snowed.

I still might get my Michelin Xice Xi2s mounted on a set of beater rims but I don't want to spend to much on a set of rims that I will only use like 3 times a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With weather forecasts fairly reliable, the beater rims and winter tires are a must. Clearly as others posted, and as Tire-Rack video shows, all seasons and cold weather + freezing moisture and snow do not work well. If you would have had an accident those beater rims and X-ice right now would be having the last laugh :) Im glad you made it home well but winter tires work best in winter weather. No question.
Think of the time and hassle an accident will cost you vs the time and expense a beater set of rims and tires will cost you. As the others were pushing cars you would have driven past them and made it home even earlier and safely :)

I will most likely get the AS-3 rather than the PSS's for summer.

Last edited:

engineered2win

Ready to race!
I bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza 970A/S tires last year to replace the OE ContiProContact's which were completely useless in the snow. They were an improvement to the Continentals with 36k miles on them, but after 20k miles they too were completely inept in snow/slush. There was slush on the roads and I couldn't stop from 5mph without a whole lot of drama, ABS chatter, and a high pucker factor. I was creeping in line behind someone leaving Walmart going maybe 2 mph and barely got it stopped before I hit the car in front. That was with a good 1-2 car gap too.

I didn't feel like dicking around for another winter with lousy tires, so I bought a set of 16" steelies and 205/55/16 Dunlop WinterMaxx tires. They feel like wet noodles compared with any performance tire, but they stop and turn brilliantly in rain, snow, slush. I still have trouble putting power down, which I fear is a problem with any torquey FWD car. Once the turbo gets spooled up it will break the tires loose under most conditions. Once I get rolling, they're fine, but first gear is useless and starting out in 2nd requires too much clutch slippage. It's not drama free like I was hoping for, but they do inspire a lot more confidence than any no season tire I've used. I can plow through drifts up to the front bumper and groom snow with the belly pan without a problem. I used to get stuck when the snow got up to the belly pan on the all seasons. We got 4-6" last week and I was blasting around the back roads during my commute doing at least the 55mph speed limit, while the other morons were doing 35mph and still out of control.

On a side note: I'm happy I'm only running the H&R 26mm front sway bar on soft with the stock GTI rear. It's still a bit tail happy in the snow and I've had the stability control save my arse atleast once where I hit a drift and the back starting to step out.

Last edited:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
I bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza 970A/S tires last year to replace the OE ContiProContact's which were completely useless in the snow. They were an improvement to the Continentals with 36k miles on them, but after 20k miles they too were completely inept in snow/slush. There was slush on the roads and I couldn't stop from 5mph without a whole lot of drama, ABS chatter, and a high pucker factor. I was creeping in line behind someone leaving Walmart going maybe 2 mph and barely got it stopped before I hit the car in front. That was with a good 1-2 car gap too.

I didn't feel like dicking around for another winter with lousy tires, so I bought a set of 16" steelies and 205/55/16 Dunlop WinterMaxx tires. They feel like wet noodles compared with any performance tire, but they stop and turn brilliantly in rain, snow, slush. I still have trouble putting power down, which I fear is a problem with any torquey FWD car. Once the turbo gets spooled up it will break the tires loose under most conditions. Once I get rolling, they're fine, but first gear is useless and starting out in 2nd requires too much clutch slippage. It's not drama free like I was hoping for, but they do inspire a lot more confidence than any no season tire I've used. I can plow through drifts up to the front bumper and groom snow with the belly pan without a problem. I used to get stuck when the snow got up to the belly pan on the all seasons. We got 4-6" last week and I was blasting around the back roads during my commute doing at least the 55mph speed limit, while the other morons were doing 35mph and still out of control.

On a side note: I'm happy I'm only running the H&R 26mm front sway bar on soft with the stock GTI rear. It's still a bit tail happy in the snow and I've had the stability control save my arse atleast once where I hit a drift and the back starting to step out.

Now you have the right tires to avoid the morons in winter. Better to be that than a former moron on the wrong tires fighting the physics of no grip when rolling on hockey pucks :)

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
I think for most people the AS/3 will be a great tire, if I were still in NC I'd be running the AS/3 all year round without reservation. But the fact of the matter is there is no tire that will be great in all situations. While A/S tires offer a well rounded performance curve they will never be the bestin any one category. The fact that the AS/3 is so great 3/4 of the year is a testament to Michelin, but an A/S tire which is lauded as possessing almost as much grip as a Max performance summer tire can't really be expected to be good in the snow.

jedred1

jedred1
I got the AS/3,s at Costco in November and so far all is well. Last winter I had the stock Dunlop's and I think this is an all-round better tire. Less road noise as well. The Blizzaks I've had on past cars where better but I was doing the summer/winter thing then. So I just drive a little slower when there is snow on the road. The fact that they are new helps a bit I'm sure

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
I'm starting to gain more confidene with my set. Now i expect the car to twitch, wiggle at any time or speed it encounters a bit of extra snow under the tires. One foot of extra wiggle room is all that's needed, so not bad i guess. Breaking/acceleration requires patience, lots of it.

Ran errands w wifey on Sunday (latest snow storm) for the majority of the day (2-3 hours of total driving). Got some practice in. When cruising at speed limit on plowed streets, no problemo. Random pull of hand break is very tempting on clear, wide streets. Intersections with channelizing island turns were the biggest challenge as they were not touched, so imagine 10" + of f'ed up snow just sitting there while trying to make a turn. Timing the traffic lights/traffic pattern was the key. Had to use the momentum of the car along with slight acceleration to get through it (TC OFF), otherwise I would imagine it getting stuck easily. The car just slides. Got it almost stuck in my gym's parking lot, packed powder. I will be a happy man when i get these off for a winter set, and/or winter ends.

R^2

Ready to race!
I looked at these, but ultimately decided to go dedicated.

Running Nokian Hakka R2's with stock 18" for the winter, and went light wheels and the PSS's for spring/summer/fall tires.

The Nokian tires are amazing - the traction is fantastic in wet snow, dry snow, snow covered ice, glare ice, slush, and standing water - I don't know what more you could ask for (except a lower price).

I talk 'em up to everyone, they are the tires we run up in Greenland on the old Hilux pick up trucks, and they have survived more than any truck should have, the version for cars is just as legendary.

Low-Cod-9662

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got AS/3s on Friday. Got upsold by Discount Tire over the DWS, and I wish I found this thread earlier. However, I'm probably just over analyzing as I'm in Cali.

Curious how I'd fare with these with the occasional trip to Tahoe as a CA driver. I know that 98% of the time the AS/3 will be perfect for me, but I can see one or two of those weekend trips causing trouble.

How would you say snow performance is against the stock Dunlops? I was surprised because I was on a trip last year with my buddies. It just snowed the afternoon before arrival, and while the highway was plowed, the last 1 mile uphill road to our cabin was not (maybe 2-3" tops). The Accord in front of me made it (barely), and I rolled up slowly with a lot of slippage with my Dunlops. I was ready to turn off traction control when I got the right roll going and made it up the last leg of the mountain. The two Civics behind me gave up and they ditched their cars. Didn't think my car could make it but with DSG, it was possible to control the car decently with the right gears.

But seeing how you guys are mostly talking about much greater snowfall, maybe I'll survive? I probably wouldn't be driving in a massive snowstorm anyway, but I don't want to be the guy getting stuck because there's still some snow/ice on the driveway. I'm not asking to outclass a AWD or someone with winter tires, but I want to make sure I won't be slipping and sliding everywhere either.

Given its California, the highways shouldn't be an issue (any serious snow and the roads close, and moderate snow demands chain controls). I've just always run into issues on the local roads though that have black ice or infrequent plowing.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Just got AS/3s on Friday. Got upsold by Discount Tire over the DWS, and I wish I found this thread earlier. However, I'm probably just over analyzing as I'm in Cali.

Curious how I'd fare with these with the occasional trip to Tahoe as a CA driver. I know that 98% of the time the AS/3 will be perfect for me, but I can see one or two of those weekend trips causing trouble.

How would you say snow performance is against the stock Dunlops? I was surprised because I was on a trip last year with my buddies. It just snowed the afternoon before arrival, and while the highway was plowed, the last 1 mile uphill road to our cabin was not (maybe 2-3" tops). The Accord in front of me made it (barely), and I rolled up slowly with a lot of slippage with my Dunlops. I was ready to turn off traction control when I got the right roll going and made it up the last leg of the mountain. The two Civics behind me gave up and they ditched their cars. Didn't think my car could make it but with DSG, it was possible to control the car decently with the right gears.

But seeing how you guys are mostly talking about much greater snowfall, maybe I'll survive? I probably wouldn't be driving in a massive snowstorm anyway, but I don't want to be the guy getting stuck because there's still some snow/ice on the driveway. I'm not asking to outclass a AWD or someone with winter tires, but I want to make sure I won't be slipping and sliding everywhere either.

Given its California, the highways shouldn't be an issue (any serious snow and the roads close, and moderate snow demands chain controls). I've just always run into issues on the local roads though that have black ice or infrequent plowing.

Michelin themselves advert these as a 3 season tire. Minimal winter capability. Do not go into true winter conditions with these on the car. Rent a car with winter tires or get some steelies and true winter tires and use them. Its not the snow its the temp that helps winter tires work. I have these here in Germany and they are great but in Nov they come off and the Detroits shod with the Conti winter tires go on. Why risk a great car playing the percentages to begin with. Get winter tires for Tahoe.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com

I wouldn't recommend for use in Tahoe. Conditions can change pretty quickly and the AS3 just isn't at its best on snow/ice.

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
I have them. And run them year round in North Carolina. They're fantastic in dry or wet, but they're a plain liability in the snow or ice.

Stock dunlops are inferior tires 99% of the time, but noticeably better in the snow or ice. And that's not saying much.