GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk 7

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Is the power package even worth it when for $500, you can get APR's tune that'll increase the power significantly more than the "power" package?

you mean performance package? those come with LSD and bigger brakes. If you're really into auto-x, handling, etc. then yes they're worth it. I probably assume they "bumped" the power due to adding extra weight on braked and differential, so it can go just as quick as the GTI that isn't equipped with one. They also make special tune for cars equipped with performance pack.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Is the power package even worth it when for $500, you can get APR's tune that'll increase the power significantly more than the "power" package?

What "power" package? You mean the performance package?

The main things in that are better brakes+LSD. And those are NOT cheap in the aftermarket. $900 or so for that and "10" hp which is meh.

Jmoore412

Ready to race!
I have a MK6 and had a MK7 (key word had). Is the MK7 a better car in some ways yes but that is all based off personal opinion to be honest. Yes the motor is better and stock vs stock the handling is better. I think the PP is a good option with the LSD from factory. Though I have a MK6 stage 3 with LSD and at the end of the day it helps but it is still a front wheel drive car wheel spin is going to a be issue no matter what you do.

I sold my MK7 2 months after getting it because of a couple reasons. One being the paint was chipping off on the rear quarter panel. The stupid stick on side spoilers kept getting loose and mainly because the more I looked at it next to my MK6 I just didn't like the body on it to be honest reminded me of the old civic SI.

My wife laughs because I have always been the guy looking for the next best things. Trading cars out every year or 2 for the latest and greatest model. Though for some reason when I got the MK7 for the first time in my life the latest and greatest wasn't really that great in my eyes. Next thing you know the MK8 will be out then the MK9 maybe just work on your car to make it what you want it to be.

If you are dead set on getting something different get a MK6 or MK7 Golf R that will be an upgrade worth making. We have 2 Golf R's and when you start adding power you don't have the downside of wheel spin or traction that you get with the GTI.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Dude what? :laugh: Your mk7 reminds you a civic ? It looks like 95% like the MK6 which looks 90% like a Mk5.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I looked at & drove the Mk7. Yes I felt the MK7 was better than the MKVI, but not $10,000 better. I'm very happy driving my CPO MKVI GTI.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
IMO not worth trading up from an almost-new 2014. Yes the mk7 is better in nearly every way, but at the end of the day it's still fundamentally just a refined FWD turbo hatch. You're going to take a massive hit on depreciation trading in.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Some guy in my apartment has a 2 door CSG Mk7 and I park next to it every day. My car looks better, but that's my opinion.

How many miles were on your old car? Going from used to brand new is always a night and day difference.

There were only 20,000 miles on my MK6 after 4 years.
It was garaged, all stock and virtually pristine.
I loved that car.

Still the feel of the MK7 while initially so familiar, being that the engine is essentially the same, proportions are the same and despite interior differences - most materials are essentially the same, is very different.
Stock for stock, as I said the torque, acceleration, steering response and quietness are markedly better.
Looks are subjective, but though I loved the look of my MK6 (still love them) I like the look of the MK7 a lot more.
It's much more aggressive looking.
Also, though the MK7 appears more boxy than the 6 in photos (it's certainly more angular) it's actually far more contoured and swoopy than the MK6.

Jmoore412

Ready to race!
Dude what? :laugh: Your mk7 reminds you a civic ? It looks like 95% like the MK6 which looks 90% like a Mk5.

I just don't like the lines on it yes it looks like a MK6 but put a MK6 and MK7 in your shop for 2 months while running CNC machines. I have an hour or so between files and can't leave while things are cutting so while twirling my thumbs and staring at them while they are similar the lines are sharper than the MK6. The MK6 is less sharp more of a flowing line yet the MK7 has sharper lines and is more box looking then bubble looking. I know this isn't the best way to describe it but like with art everyone interprets things different. The back end is more of a box shape then the MK6 which is more rounded.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Guess it's the rear back window that makes me think of old civic si hatch.

Shifty6

Ready to race!
Long story short... the dealer ruined my motor and now I am waiting for a new Mk7. I have not even driven the Mk7 yet, but am very much looking forward to it. Personally I think the Mk6 looks much better, IMHO. The MK6 just looks right. There are a couple of things I don't like on the Mk7. I am sure those little niggles will go away once I drive it. It is a shame because I absolutely LOVED (and still do) my mk6. In fact I built a guitar to match it.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Just for the record, if i still have my mark6 and test drove the mk7, i would still keep the mk6. But my mk6 got totaled thanks to a distracted teenager, so i had a good excuse to upgrade.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I drive them stock and modded all the time and it just doesn't do much to me.

They feel too boring and too floaty.

The MK7 R with boltons and suspension mods would probably be a sweet car. Just need to make sure it's from the recent batch and has the less faulty turbo.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I drive them stock and modded all the time and it just doesn't do much to me.

They feel too boring and too floaty.

The MK7 R with boltons and suspension mods would probably be a sweet car. Just need to make sure it's from the recent batch and has the less faulty turbo.

did you drive the one with aftermarket suspension?

My MK7 GTI with VWR springs does not feel floaty. Yet in stock did.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I haven't been in one with aftermarket suspension, yet.

I have to say the stock suspension setup and interior layout both make it a boring drive to me. I am sure it sells a lot more, since it fits more categories now with the more space and more comfortable ride.

I am trying to get my friend do the B14 coilovers on his MK7 GTI. Looking forward to drive that!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
There is nothing floaty in a GTI... wtf is wrong with you ppl?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I just don't like the lines on it yes it looks like a MK6 but put a MK6 and MK7 in your shop for 2 months while running CNC machines. I have an hour or so between files and can't leave while things are cutting so while twirling my thumbs and staring at them while they are similar the lines are sharper than the MK6. The MK6 is less sharp more of a flowing line yet the MK7 has sharper lines and is more box looking then bubble looking. I know this isn't the best way to describe it but like with art everyone interprets things different. The back end is more of a box shape then the MK6 which is more rounded.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Guess it's the rear back window that makes me think of old civic si hatch.
Yes you can also compare it to a yaris. #allhatchbackslookthesame