GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk 7

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
There is nothing floaty in a GTI... wtf is wrong with you ppl?

i would say my mk6 is kinda floaty at highway speed compared to like a merc or audi

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
For my Mk7 test here a year or so ago, the 7 was wayyyyyyyy more planted at speed on the Autobahn. The 6 front end lifted a bit, my car was stock. The 7 Gti I tested was a noticeable performance upgrade vs the 6. Motortrend in the U.S. calls the 7 the best Gti ever vs the6. OP buy it.

zrickety

The Fixer
I think you guys are confusing floatiness with lightweight.

dmg

I'll probably get flack for stating my opinion but regarding the MK7 (base model-- not GTI) 5 speed is nice, but on my test drive I left a little underwhelmed. The steering felt overboosted unlike the more hydraulic MK6 and the road noise wasn't as subdued as I thought on the highway. I was bored driving it... especially after driving a Ford Focus 5 speed -- now that is a fun car! To bad it's underpowered I would of owned one.

Also the dashboard felt harder, farther away and cheaper to my eyes. The turbo boost was nice, but the clutch take up was kind of high. Was a nice car though with great pick up in the higher RPM's but the engine has yet to be proven.

I also prefer the styling of the MK6 a little more, the brake lights are wider and the car is a little more curvy. I also prefer the more linear pull of the 5 cylinder. Either way the new golf is improved in so many ways and my preferred choice in cars along w/ the fiesta st.. that's a hoot!

jjohns1508

Ready to race!
I have a 2014 also and love it. I like the looks better than the MK7, but that's personal. In all the Mk7 is supposed to be better, but the only way I would upgrade would be the R.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
The steering felt overboosted unlike the more hydraulic MK6 and the road noise wasn't as subdued as I thought on the highway.

Wait, how can a steering system be "more hydraulic"? It's either hydraulic or electromechanical power steering. And these cars have been using electric power steering systems since at least the Mk5 generation.

I was bored driving it... especially after driving a Ford Focus 5 speed -- now that is a fun car! To bad it's underpowered I would of owned one.

I agree. The direct steering feel of the Focus is absolutely phenomenal. And while it may be a slower car, the throttle at least responds instantly. When you want the Focus to do something, it actually DOES it without hesitation.

My GTI's steering feels a bit numb by comparison. It's not nearly as direct as the Focus. And every VW I've driven so far always had some level of throttle delay. Which I presume is set at the factory for "safety reasons"?

VWoA if you're reading this: I shouldn't have to mod my car (a "sport" trim version I might add) to get something that's offered on the base trim models of other manufacturers. Fun cars have more responsive controls, not less.

:mad0259:

Also the dashboard felt harder, farther away and cheaper to my eyes.

Yeah I had the same thoughts about the Mk7 Golf/GTI. I don't understand how some people can say with a straight face that the Mk7 interior looks and feels better than the Mk6. It's acres upon acres of shiny, hard plastics. The smooth steering wheel also feels cheaper than the Mk6's steering wheel, which has perforated leather and red contrast stitching. The button layout on the Mk7's steering wheel also feels less ergonomic than the Mk6. They went from simple + sign layout to vague blob shapes.

Maybe that's considered the "style" nowadays? I'm just not feeling it.

:iono:

I will however say that I love what they did with the rear cargo area on the Mk7. Being able to change how deep it goes. And also store the parcel shelf cover thingy into the space below.

Last edited:

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
i would say my mk6 is kinda floaty at highway speed compared to like a merc or audi

This, get dg springs, problem solved. If you want less bouncy ride, b8 shocks would complement the springs too, though i havent got b8, i would if my mk6 wasnt totaled.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Wait, how can a steering system be "more hydraulic"? It's either hydraulic or electromechanical power steering. And these cars have been using electric power steering systems since at least the Mk5 generation.

I agree. The direct steering feel of the Focus is absolutely phenomenal. And while it may be a slower car, the throttle at least responds instantly. When you want the Focus to do something, it actually DOES it without hesitation.

My GTI's steering feels a bit numb by comparison. It's not nearly as direct as the Focus. And every VW I've driven so far always had some level of throttle delay. Which I presume is set at the factory for "safety reasons"?

VWoA if you're reading this: I shouldn't have to mod my car (a "sport" trim version I might add) to get something that's offered on the base trim models of other manufacturers. Fun cars have more responsive controls, not less.

:mad0259:

Yeah I had the same thoughts about the Mk7 Golf/GTI. I don't understand how some people can say with a straight face that the Mk7 interior looks and feels better than the Mk6. It's acres upon acres of shiny, hard plastics. The smooth steering wheel also feels cheaper than the Mk6's steering wheel, which has perforated leather and red contrast stitching. The button layout on the Mk7's steering wheel also feels less ergonomic than the Mk6. They went from simple + sign layout to vague blob shapes.

Maybe that's considered the "style" nowadays? I'm just not feeling it.

:iono:

I will however say that I love what they did with the rear cargo area on the Mk7. Being able to change how deep it goes. And also store the parcel shelf cover thingy into the space below.

The interior materials on the MK7 are the same materials as on the MK6.
The only difference is that the door trim material is now inlaid on the instrument surrounds and on the center stack - instead of flat black trim.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I think you guys are confusing floatiness with lightweight.

that may have been my thought. I wouldn't say mk6 is floaty, but mk7 felt floatier in comparison, stock suspension, but I had an 2012 impala as rental so I know what floaty is :laugh:

mmmoose

Ready to race!
The interior materials on the MK7 are the same materials as on the MK6.
The only difference is that the door trim material is now inlaid on the instrument surrounds and on the center stack - instead of flat black trim.

Oh I know. The problem (for me) is there's more of the hard stuff than there is of the soft stuff. And that's fine if some people prefer that more. I just like having more of the soft stuff.

Either way, as you pointed out since it's largely made from the same materials, it makes the whole "Mk7 has vastly superior interior over Mk6" argument a bit laughable, don't you think? It's actually based more on personal preference than the interior actually being "higher quality" than the previous generation.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Oh I know. The problem (for me) is there's more of the hard stuff than there is of the soft stuff. And that's fine if some people prefer that more. I just like having more of the soft stuff.

Either way, as you pointed out since it's largely made from the same materials, it makes the whole "Mk7 has vastly superior interior over Mk6" argument a bit laughable, don't you think? It's actually based more on personal preference than the interior actually being "higher quality" than the previous generation.

There isn't.
The gloss trim strip you see on the doors now adorns the instrument surrounds and center console.

Is the interior vastly superior?
Well, not as far as materials are concerned.
So, yes it is a matter of personal preference.
But as for styling, yes I find the MK7's interior to be vastly superior.
About the only thing I didn't like about the MK6's interior was the straight up and down T-shape to the dashboard and center console.
It looked dated and felt sort of tall and narrow.
The interior of my Mk7 does make me feel like I am in a more upmarket car.
It doesn't feel like a hot hatch anymore.

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
MK7 steering wheel doesn't feel as nice. The shiney black plastic on the handbrake is cheap and tacky. Don't like the carbon fiber look plastic of the center stack. Seats feel softer. Not sure if that's good or bad, depends if you like firmer seats or not I guess. Mechanically, it is a better car. Looks are subjective, but I also do prefer the styling of the MK6 better.

zrickety

The Fixer
I think it's a little early to say it's better mechanically, or are you going by their record in Europe?

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I haven't drove or looked closely into a MK7. From the exterior, I still think the MK6 is nicer. As for trading up for one, I will pass.