GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 DIY DTS coilover install

Kellen

Ready to race!
Here is a little DIY i created for a coilover install.

I'm going to start with the Install. Shipping from Germany was extremely fast. I payed for the Coils on Friday 18th, and had the coils by tuesday the 27th. It came Fed-ex and I received tracking number immediately. Very happy with the speedy shipping.

Packaged Well:

Everything Included in the DTS kit:

Close Up shots of the Quality of the Kit, I was impressed:

INSTALL:

Find a garage with a lift :)

Make sure you have plenty of fuel...

Remove Wheel

What it should look like:

Remove Lower Strut bolt, and sway bar linkage:

We used an extension to fit into the end of the bolt, worked fine:

Gain access and loosen to the top strut mount bolts by peeling back this piece...

Use a Jack to lift and compress the spring:

Now Take these 3 bolts out all the way:

Use a pry-bar to wedge the collar open that clamps around the base of the strut, these can be the most difficult part (notice the face!):

Now the whole strut/spring assembly should come free:

Remove the strut mount by using a closed end wrench and an allen:

Assemble the new strut, may want to modify the bump stop depending on how low you plan on going. I also installed with the coil spun all the way down so it would be easier.

May help to use a jack to help it into place:

Reconnect the sway bar linkage and lower strut mount bolt:

tighten the top 3 strut mount bolts:

At this point the front should be done, now onto the rears.

Wheel off:

Remove the two upper strut mount bolts:

Using a Close end wrench remove the lower strut bolt, this one is on really tight!

Pop this guy off too:

Now you should be able to take the Strut (and spring) out, Smile like a goon!

Zip off the top mount (dont use an impact to tighten this on your new coils)

Off:

Cut the bump stops, so i wasn't riding on them when I lower it more:

This is how we tightened the strut mount on the DTS coils:

When installing the new spring, we installed so the perch was on top. That way we could adjust the coils without dropping the whole assembly:

Install DTS strut same way you removed the stock one:

Still needs to settle, and wheels. Then more LOW. This is fresh off the lift with about 3/4 of an inch of threads in the rear. The front was set with about 3/4 to an inch of threads left:

REVIEW:

When I first installed the DTS coils, i set them at stock height (all the way up). The performed just like stock, could hardily tell that i had installed the coils at all. I actually thought if anything, they felt a tiny bit "floaty" at this height.

I drove for a day, and then lowered to the current setting. I actually love the ride at this height. It feels better to me. A great comfort level. Stiffer, but still eats up the road imperfections. They feel a lot like the KW coils I had on my old Passat.

I am excited to get some more seat time in the coils, and also to see how low they will go. As it sit now, I will most likely bottom out the remaining threads i have left in the front (about 3/4 of an inch) to get the height I want. At this level there is still a TON of travel up front. So if anything, they could come with a shorter spring so you could go lower up front.

If you want a great every day suspension at a great price, DTS is a great option. I have had KW, ST, H&R, VMaxx, B&G, and Weitec suspensions in the past. Honestly these rank up with KW and the ST's i have had. I loved both of those setups, and really enjoy these.

Just to let everyone know, Glen from the Suspension Source told me I would not be penalized for a negative review. He wanted our complete honesty. So this is what I have given.

Any questions or Comments please, feel free.

Cheers,

Kellen

Disclaimer: Do this at your own risk. I am not responsible for any actions you take. When installing, make sure you tighten bolts according to the recommended torque specifications. Have fun!

i_huey

Passed Driver's Ed
So the it's not that bumpy with the coils? I've been shopping around for a new suspension but I've been afraid of ruining the quality of ride. your pic is actually the drop I've been aiming for.

pyro h4cker1

Ready to race!
just a tip. It's much easier to use a strut spreader to spread the housing holding the front shock. Then you can take the whole shock assembly out without having to compress the springs with the shock on the car.

In my experience it's always a pain adjusting the rears. Usually end up having the drop the control arm to adjust the height anyway due to the pressure exerted by the spring on the collar.

How are the DTS coils? Haven't tried them

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Love the R32 :thumbsup:

Kellen

Ready to race!
So the it's not that bumpy with the coils? .

Honestly the ride is almost identical to the stock ride quality. Its pretty nice. I plan to lower the front some more, so we will see how the ride changes. Honestly, i have had a lot of coils in the past (H&R, KW, etc) and these ride with the best of them.

Love the R32 :thumbsup:

Its actually a 20th. It was the first one in the US, sold to the public if im not mistaken.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Its actually a 20th. It was the first one in the US, sold to the public if im not mistaken.

Even bettter! Good stuff man