GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI 4 door + DSG Weight

senna1

Ready to race!
Little bit of background: I'm hoping to get a custom tune from Driver Motorsport to prep my car for NASA time trial events. I cannot exceed a certain Weight/HP limit, so I went to a CAT scale to weigh my car.

Car is 4 doors, DSG, base model.
Gas was nearly empty.
Jack, spare still in the trunk.

Weighed in at 3060 pounds.

Is it just me or does that seem especially light, considering 4 doors and DSG? Perhaps its the near empty tank of fuel? Whatever the case, it is lighter than I expected and limits me to a max tune of 217hp.

FYI - Someone else tried this a couple years back and came in at 3220:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4892683-How-much-does-a-Mk6-weigh

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 7,004

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Little bit of background: I'm hoping to get a custom tune from Driver Motorsport to prep my car for NASA time trial events. I cannot exceed a certain Weight/HP limit, so I went to a CAT scale to weigh my car.
Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:

GoodysGotaCuda

Ready to race!
Sunroof car?

What's the tolerance on a CAT scale? Given it's made to measure ~80,000lbs or so, I wouldn't expect the resolution to be that great at 3k..it's probably +/- 100-200lbs..there may also be a minimum weight for accuracy. But I'm not sure, I've only used racing scales in the past.

senna1

Ready to race!
lol. NASA indeed.

No sunroof. Base Model GTI. Cloth Seats.

I thought 5 doors + DSG would add some weight, but I guess not as much as I anticipated. I plan on taking it to another weighing station that weighs cars for moving purposes. Maybe the results will be different there.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Official curb weight spec is 3160 lbs
Curb weight definition includes all fluids including a full tank of fuel.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408758690.591268.jpg

zrickety

The Fixer
Looks right. Great info!

senna1

Ready to race!
Props.

I guess if I filled up, it would get me a lot closer to 3160. (I think gas is ~6 lbs per gallon if I'm not mistaken).

Ok. I'll roll with 3060 on an empty tank. Guess I gotta deal with a bit lower power output. :)

zrickety

The Fixer
Bump a useful thread. Can you add a trailer hitch or something to bump up your weight and therefore power output? Would help center of gravity too.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Reference​
Back in 09 a week after I got the car, went to the cAt scale did the same thing, car was around 3380 stock - still need to find the receipt to confirm that.

Note: 4DR DSG, Autobahn package / sunroof / full tank / Driver 220 LBS of thrust :D

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
an AUTOMATIC transmission will ALWAYS weigh more than a manual.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
He's not surprised at it being heavier... he's surprised that it's lighter. :laugh:

My guess would have to be less sound deadening applied to the car. Nothing else is visually noticeable.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
It's just like RSC. At first it seems cool but then you realize all you have is an empty box.