GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 GTi Carbon Build Up Fix?

brentsfast

Hey,

So I'm throwing a code and the engine is bogging due to a carbon build up after only 43k miles.

Techs at VW said they could go in and scrub it off w/ solvent for $700. Good low das a lotta money!

I bought the engine solvent fuel additive to see if that helps, but no luck so far. Only through half a tank though.

I've seen some videos on this seafoam stuff that may help. Wish this was covered under warranty, but V Dub is saying that carbon build up is a maintenance item. Ugh.

Anyone know anyone that's fixed this w/ seafoam or through a cheaper alternative?

Thanks much for the help!

Cheers,
B

Davespence20

Ready to race!
The build-up can be slowed by running the car a little harder, aka an Italian tune-up. Going to have to get them scrubbed clean. That's the only true way to fix it. Run w/m and steam clean those valves :cool:

Bino

Go Kart Champion
Adding anything in your fuel tank with do nothing. Fuel dose not flow over your valves.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
the harder you drive n longer, the later the buildup becomes. from time to time push it on ramps its a carbon cleaning session

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Go to an Indy euro shop that has a walnut blaster and get those valves cleaned properly. It will be kind of expensive but better than the dealer most likely half assed cleaning them by hand. That is just my opinion though the dealer techs are almost always idiots who don't know how to properly fix cars.

golfonsteroids

Passed Driver's Ed
Water/meth injection is one of the best! I run it and never had a problem with carbon buildup. Before I ran that, i did the ghetto way of disconnecting the intake piping and FINELY misting with a water/meth solution. Works too, just make sure you spray sparingly and don't hydrolock the engine. There's a guide on youtube somewhere if you search.

Last edited:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Hey,

So I'm throwing a code and the engine is bogging due to a carbon build up after only 43k miles.

Techs at VW said they could go in and scrub it off w/ solvent for $700. Good low das a lotta money!

I bought the engine solvent fuel additive to see if that helps, but no luck so far. Only through half a tank though.

I've seen some videos on this seafoam stuff that may help. Wish this was covered under warranty, but V Dub is saying that carbon build up is a maintenance item. Ugh.

Anyone know anyone that's fixed this w/ seafoam or through a cheaper alternative?

Thanks much for the help!

Cheers,
B

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68616 - Start here. Knowledge is good!

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Take a ride on a highway. Go into manual mode and keep driving along at 65-70mph in 4th gear for 30 minutes. The revs will be screaming a bit, but the heat generated will burn off much of the carbon. Search the forums. There is a link to a VW engineering patent that explains the need to run these motors at high revs to create a catalysed self cleaning effect.

No amount of additives will help. Try this first. Then if there's no improvement, find a dealer or performance shop that performs the type of walnut blasting that BMW offers.
I'd even stop by a bmw dealer and see if they'll do it for you.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Adding anything in your fuel tank with do nothing. Fuel dose not flow over your valves.

Wrong. Please research before giving bad advice. How do you think spark is made with the spark plugs? Fuel is sprayed by the DI system on the valves and is one of the big reasons for the build up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Fuel doesn't really go on the valves, that is a crude pic. You get some recirculation of the gases thanks to timing, but that's it. The buildup is a byproduct of everything going on, if the injectors really sprayed the valves this wouldn't be an issue.
I can attest that the 'Italian tune up' will mitigate problems for at least 90k.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Take your car to the track
Drive it hard. Should do the trick

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Fuel doesn't really go on the valves, that is a crude pic. You get some recirculation of the gases thanks to timing, but that's it. The buildup is a byproduct of everything going on, if the injectors really sprayed the valves this wouldn't be an issue.
I can attest that the 'Italian tune up' will mitigate problems for at least 90k.

Wrong again. When the valves move down the fuel is spraying into the cylinder and still gets on the valves. This is WHY the vavles get more carbon built up on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd90yHlmfS4

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt9in3hw69o