GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI on race tires (slicks)

schulmann

Passed Driver's Ed
My so called budget car is ready for the track.

I was wondering how the engine takes it when the GTI runs on race tires (slicks). How the engine's oil system handles the excessive Gs ?

Some cars take it really bad and the engines blows up.

I have some spare slicks left from my old E46 BMW (245/40R17).

Grandturismo

Ready to race!
The engine will be fine. Keep the oil levels up and check regularly.

Keep an eye on your brakes too. Think about upgrading brake lines, fluid and pads.

Enjoy :)

schulmann

Passed Driver's Ed
All engin after certain amount of Gs will run dry, so the question is how much Gs the GTI stock engin can take.

If you tell me that it can take unlimited Gs and nobody blow up his engin then I will buy right away a set of 245 Hoosier !

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
I wouldn't run slicks without getting a dry-sump first. Many of us have blew our engines going on freeway ramp on PSS

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
Many of us have blew our engines going on freeway ramp on PSS

What? Seriously? How many people has this happened to?

I just had an oil pressure gauge installed on my car so I'll see how lateral loads affect pressure this season but I've autocrossed my car for two years and tracked it for one on PSS with no issues.

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
I'd think a decent windage tray would work. Can't imagine needing to go with a dry sump system. I'd guess if one was starving their engine for oil that it would take a bit of time for any damage to occur. It wouldn't instantly blow up.

My last race car a Fire Arrow used to turn on the oil light every time I went over the hill into madness at Mid-Ohio. Running an extra quart of oil cured that. I wonder if that would work in a GTI if it is showing the same symptom?

mexicanwaldo

Go Kart Champion
Been told by a couple Mk6 drivers that track regularly to make sure your oil levels are at max and overfill a bit so you won't have that problem. Forgot if half a quart or a full quart over.

mamock116

Ready to race!
Just wanted to report I had 0 issues this weekend at the track running slicks. I am on the stock sway bars and stock stocks/struts if that makes a difference.

Type_RS_59

Ready to race!
I've heard from a crew chief that ran Mk. 6s in World Challenge that oil starvation is a major issue with these cars on slicks. Even worse than the MK. 5 and Mk. 7 for some reason.

Overfilling, Accusump and air/oil separator are all good ideas for track cars.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I've had blow-by on Extreme summers, thats about it.

zrickety

The Fixer