GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Golf R updated on US website

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
rofl. really??

4dr looks more "Balanced" imho on the GTI.. 2dr looks like an egg on wheels. But yeah. it was either all 4 door, or only one trans, most likely.. they were smart and went both trans, but had to restrict it to all 4doors.. imho, it was the smarter choice.

Hatchbacks and wagons are already a hard sell in the US.. why would any mfg'r want to try and bring an exclusive 2dr hatchback :iono:

Exactly. Hot hatchbacks are one of the most niche-market vehicles you can buy in the US. The Golf is one of the best selling cars worldwide, but in the US, they have difficulty selling them, let along selling the exclusive performance variants.

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
rofl. really??

4dr looks more "Balanced" imho on the GTI.. 2dr looks like an egg on wheels. But yeah. it was either all 4 door, or only one trans, most likely.. they were smart and went both trans, but had to restrict it to all 4doors.. imho, it was the smarter choice.

Hatchbacks and wagons are already a hard sell in the US.. why would any mfg'r want to try and bring an exclusive 2dr hatchback :iono:

Yes really. I love my 2 door. I dont want a 4 door.

But as far as the reasoning behind it. I completely understand what they did and why. I agree with the reasoning. Its just not my personal preference.

Maybe in a few years when im in a position to afford the AWD car I will like or need the 4 door. But as of current its not for me.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
This should be the R that can finally compete with the Evo and STi As long as the "Race" mode actually kills the "nannies" it will be the ticket.

Im definately interested if it stays realistic in price. You can get an Evo or an STi for around $35K so see how this car pans out. If this R pushes $40k then screw it, Will take an Audi S3 for that price, but thats just me.

Jeff

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
S3 is not cheap... once you add options it cracks over 50k.

ka_kiluh

Ready to race!
What does limited numbers mean? I thought the Golf R was supposed to become a standard model now. I will be in the market for one in mid 2015, but don't want to play the "rare car" game with a salesman again; that's why I bought another GTI in 2013 instead of an R.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
If only it came in a 2 door. Thats my deal breaker on a mk7.

Aren't they eventually making 2-door GTI's and R's? :iono:

I hate VW's website now... :(

Good to see that we just may get the R... :laugh:

I wanna build cars :( Porsche it is.

Wow.. A blue Gauge Needle and a Carbonfiber automatic shift knob! Throw on some bags and this will be a show stopper!

Save the Manual!

:)

Manual will come too.

What does limited numbers mean? I thought the Golf R was supposed to become a standard model now. I will be in the market for one in mid 2015, but don't want to play the "rare car" game with a salesman again; that's why I bought another GTI in 2013 instead of an R.

limited = money

razr390

Go Kart Champion
****Date correction****

Fall GTI Cruise

Saturday November 15, 2014

8:30am - Meet at Cap Tree

Take Ocean Pkwy West
Stay right on Wantagh Pkwy North
Stay right on Northern State East

Exit 36S – Bagel Boss: 432 S Oyster Bay Rd, Hicksville, NY 11801
Park at the far end of the parking lot
Chill, Eat and or Fuel up nearby if needed

Head towards the Northern State Pkwy
Take Exit 35N towards N. Broadway
Stay Left on Route 107
Make a Right on Northern Blvd
Make Left on Route 106
Take Route 106
Make Left on Audrey Ave

Lunch Time! Arrive at
Taby's Burger House
28 Audrey Ave (right side)
Oyster Bay, NY 11771

yo, it'd be really cool if you could stop posting non-local cruise information on threads not specified for it.

pls.

also,no need for double posting the same long ass thing, just use the edit button.

cranker1987

Ready to race!
Limited means they are made in Germany and will send over a shipload of them when they get around to it. If you look at the wait for the R in Europe on the MK7 forum, it is still 5 or 6 months after you order the damn thing. They can't fill those fast enough, let alone make enough US spec R's to fill a cargo ship. Obviously, the dealers will know that they are "Limited quantity" and most will jack the price to over $40K, if I had to guess.

VW has stated that the Puebla plant cannot do AWD, yet. So, until they get that set up (maybe in 2015?), R's will be sent from Germany, when they get around to it.

Last edited:

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

They have the best car configurator out of all car companies. :D

I would love to see a Mk7 .:R in person when they hit the dealers.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Exactly. Hot hatchbacks are one of the most niche-market vehicles you can buy in the US. The Golf is one of the best selling cars worldwide, but in the US, they have difficulty selling them, let along selling the exclusive performance variants.

MAH TREV.

Yes really. I love my 2 door. I dont want a 4 door.

But as far as the reasoning behind it. I completely understand what they did and why. I agree with the reasoning. Its just not my personal preference.

Maybe in a few years when im in a position to afford the AWD car I will like or need the 4 door. But as of current its not for me.

ok, well.. seems like a shame to pass it on for having 4drs, but whatever you feel is best/suits your needs, etc.

This should be the R that can finally compete with the Evo and STi As long as the "Race" mode actually kills the "nannies" it will be the ticket.

Im definately interested if it stays realistic in price. You can get an Evo or an STi for around $35K so see how this car pans out. If this R pushes $40k then screw it, Will take an Audi S3 for that price, but thats just me.

Jeff

Apparently, you can finally really disable all traction nannies, so it should be good.

pricing... it will be around the same as last time..

if you are impatient and you want a premium model, be prepared to pay $38K-ish, before taxes....

If you can wait... you can get a deal later on. We had local guys getting close to 4k off sticker, but it was later on.

Badge = 5k? :iono:

pretty much!

S3 is not cheap... once you add options it cracks over 50k.

here we go again... that's pretty much a fully loaded car.

I spec'd out a S3 with literally LED light package and B&O sound for like 42-43k.. if you know how to negotiate, AND depending on your local market, you can get that car for high 38's.

Remember.. the DSG S3 tested FASTER than a current model S4.

5k per year again, I'd guess. It would never be standard, I wouldn't think.

rare game.. just give it time. Wait till they are on the lots 6-8 months or so down the line, OR grab a CPO'd one later and save too.

Aren't they eventually making 2-door GTI's and R's? :iono:

Manual will come too.

limited = money

GTI isn't available as a 2dr now??

for sure.. they tack on crazy options, so they want guys to have that ability.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion

I think mini has the best car configuration.

But the new r is very promising performance wise. And the interiors are very nice. Vw has good potential with these cars.

Sent from my damn iPhone.