GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI Lighting Lap time

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
the mk7 gti has a better feeling steering rack, better power...yea can't put it down efficiently on a track but overall driving experience on the streets should be appreciatied

+1. It's not a track car. Its a sporting do it all car. That being said set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports would probably improve things. After my test of the Mk7 I would own it. Great ride/feel, and the steering improvement alone makes the car worth owning in the future.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
What's sad is that it ran on the re-paved/widened VIR. Those times would have been even slower (1-2 s) on the old track.

Based on this test, it's appears the MK7 GTI (non-PP) is actually slower than the MK6 at VIR. :bonk:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So you're meaning to tell me a car with roughly the same power, same weight, same weight distribution and very similar engine/transmission and tires is roughly the same SPEED around a track?!

Holy shit... mind blown.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
built in mexico (not really a big deal for me still)
had already 2 recalls so far
plastic oil pan
same lap time, yeah no thanks

Love those German made Mk6 like mine with all those great water pump issues. Mexico can hardly be worse. GTi quality ratings with them made in Germany are not quite Lexus numbers.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
:clap:
So you're meaning to tell me a car with roughly the same power, same weight, same weight distribution and very similar engine/transmission and tires is roughly the same SPEED around a track?!

Holy shit... mind blown.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The mk6 GTI engine was made in Hungary anyways... The current one is coming from germany. So the current gen is more german ... engine wise at least.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
The mk6 GTI engine was made in Hungary anyways... The current one is coming from germany. So the current gen is more german ... engine wise at least.

hungary is mexico of europe. im from the same region and i know that their work ethic isnt as good as germans. sometimes theyll say "oh nothing will happen"

BP11

Banned
I test drove a mk7 with the 6MT about a week ago. I....really liked it. But then I got back into my car and was all "hmm...it's kinda the exact same shit". Everything makes sense now.

All things aside, the mk7 sure has responsive and quick turning by comparison....dat variable rack doe.

220volt

Ready to race!
Few days ago was the first time I saw MK7 in person, I did not like it at all. It looked awesome in photos, but in person, it looks way too long! It almost looks more like a caravan than a hatch back. Did not like how the back tappers towards the top and it is not as flat as MK6. Too many lines and bulges. I don't know how to describe it really, but it reminded me more of a Japanese design than German. To me it lost the compactness and hot hatch appeal. I did like panorama roof and aggressive headlights, but that's about it. But, to each his own.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Few days ago was the first time I saw MK7 in person, I did not like it at all. It looked awesome in photos, but in person, it looks way too long! It almost looks more like a caravan than a hatch back. Did not like how the back tappers towards the top and it is not as flat as MK6. Too many lines and bulges. I don't know how to describe it really, but it reminded me more of a Japanese design than German. To me it lost the compactness and hot hatch appeal. I did like panorama roof and aggressive headlights, but that's about it. But, to each his own.

Looks as similar to the MK6 as the mk6 did to the 5. Most ppl can't tell the 3 generations apart anyways, quit tripping.

220volt

Ready to race!
Looks as similar to the MK6 as the mk6 did to the 5. Most ppl can't tell the 3 generations apart anyways, quit tripping.

That still doesn't take away the fact that I don't like it. But, that's my personal preference, because I like the compactness of older GTI's.