GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My A/C takes FOREVER to get cold!

Mercfh

Ready to race!
Does this happen to anyone else? car has like 4k miles on it, it's a 2014. But ever since I bought it the A/C takes a good 6-7 minutes to really start getting cold. Even then it's kinda weak.

Or is the GTI's a/c just weak? my G/F's RSX blows MUCH colder air than the GTI.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I did have a multi-page thread on this... we came to the conclusion the majority of us think our A/C is crap....

It's not unusable but having used the A/C in other cars you quickly realize how crappy our A/C is.

SnackyJ

Its a weaker AC for sure, but its fine. Our old mini was way worse.

Its been in the 80s and 90s here and it takes about 2-3 minutes to get cool and 5+ minutes to get cold.

When its in the 100s it takes like 10mins to get cool, and it just stays cool.

Most days I have to turn it down eventually because it gets too cold, so I'm not really complaining.

gti_kev

Go Kart Champion
Mines gets cold pretty quick... and I'm ALWAYS hot. also did a refill a while back cause you guys kept bringing it up.
cold as shit now.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
My Wolfsburg Edition is A LOT colder from a cold start than my 2008 Rabbit ever was. The Mk5 AC felt a lot weaker, so I'm actually happy with the GTI. Now I can sit in my car after work, crank the AC up, and feel the cabin cooling down within a half a minute.

But I'll admit most American and Japanese cars do seem to have a slightly better AC system overall. I remember my 2002 Focus feeling like a fridge on the hottest of summer days. Although the problem with that car was that it felt like I lost 50 horsepower anytime I did that (unlike the Rabbit and GTI).

minorthreat55

Passed Driver's Ed
My Wolfsburg Edition is A LOT colder from a cold start than my 2008 Rabbit ever was. The Mk5 AC felt a lot weaker, so I'm actually happy with the GTI. Now I can sit in my car after work, crank the AC up, and feel the cabin cooling down within a half a minute.

But I'll admit most American and Japanese cars do seem to have a slightly better AC system overall. I remember my 2002 Focus feeling like a fridge on the hottest of summer days. Although the problem with that car was that it felt like I lost 50 horsepower anytime I did that (unlike the Rabbit and GTI).
I dunno man. I like the way my GTI drives much better with the A/C off. It's not that I necessarilly feel like I'm losing a lot of horsepower with the A/C on, but I feel like the revs drop weird as opposed to having the A/C off. I also feel like it's really hard to judge the gas pedal. Feel like sometimes I have to really put it to the ground to finally get the engine to respond....then the turbo kicks in and it's just a drastic pull. Some of this is nature of the turbo I'm sure, but still, I prefer to drive with my A/C off even when it's pretty hot. Anyone else feel the same?

It's so hot in GA now though that I have to drive with it on..

MXGTI6

Passed Driver's Ed
Here in texas on 100+ mine never gets cold.... Just chill enough to keep me from Sweating lo

mmmoose

Ready to race!
I dunno man. I like the way my GTI drives much better with the A/C off. It's not that I necessarilly feel like I'm losing a lot of horsepower with the A/C on, but I feel like the revs drop weird as opposed to having the A/C off. I also feel like it's really hard to judge the gas pedal. Feel like sometimes I have to really put it to the ground to finally get the engine to respond....then the turbo kicks in and it's just a drastic pull. Some of this is nature of the turbo I'm sure, but still, I prefer to drive with my A/C off even when it's pretty hot. Anyone else feel the same?

It's so hot in GA now though that I have to drive with it on..

I may be wrong but isn't the AC designed to temporarily shut off when you're applying WOT so the engine doesn't get bogged down? Ran into this thread while searching around.

I'm sure there's a little bit of parasitic loss of power, but if I'm being perfectly honest I haven't noticed any perceivable slowdown with the AC on during "spirited driving". Although when we're dealing with really high outside temperatures and humidity heat soak will obviously affect our turbocharged engines (regardless of AC being on/off).

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Volkswagen's HVAC systems do not fair well is extremely hot climates. Mine easily takes 2-3 minutes to blow cold, then forever to actually cool the cabin due to the amount of heat saturation within the cloth, IP, and panels.

GoodysGotaCuda

Ready to race!
As with any car, running for a few seconds with the windows down to exchange ~120° air for ~100° will help quite a bit.

Anyone played with tricking the Evap temp sensor? On Jeeps we would do that to make the compressor cycle longer and it dropped vent temps 4-5°. Works really well in the summer since most systems have a little high factor of safety for Evap freezing.

It was just piggybacking a resistor across the two wire temp sensor to make it think it was a couple degree warmer.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Ugh. Go get your A/C systems charged, guys. Not all systems are charged equally. It's a general maintenance item on ALL cars.

Also, A/C power draw is tied to the engine load, so throw the stick in "S" or hold your gears higher to get colder A/C.

Jaber

Modero
AC in the GTI & GLI work great. And this summer has had some hot days too. And humid.

Like XGC75 said, put some load on the car and it will cool up faster :thumbsup:

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My AC is like ice after a few minutes on a hot day. I live in florida and only keep my ac on notch 1 or 2.