GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MY APR Cast downpipe review (mk5 tsi)

VEE-DUBBER

Passed Driver's Ed
*Edited for what's the point*
If you have anything negative to say about APR or bring up anything related to their whole RSC situation or anything of the likes, please exit the thread now. On to my review...

When I saw APR released a cast downpipe for the 2.0 Tsi, I was pretty excited, because everything else on the market is pretty bland.
My car is a 2009 Gti, ATP 3" catless downpipe, factory resonator and muffler, and APR stg2+ & Dsg software, carbonio. DV+, etc....

The ATP was good for the price, but it is definitely not worth a dollar more then the price. Fitment was OK at best, and the Vband leaked, and the flange that bolts to the turbo is not completely flat. The car sounded raspy and tinny. Not what I was looking for in a somewhat refined car (coming from a mk3 VR6 turbo).

My local APR dealer Achtuning (where I have a family member that works) had a new cast downpipe in stock, so I jumped on it right away as most dealers have limited stock being so new. I installed it on Friday night.

First up is the packaging. Expanding foam to protect everything, very, very well packaged.

Contents of package are cast upper section of downpipe, rear section with GESI catalyst, cast/machined bracket, package of instructions for dp removal, GLOVES, VERY nice clamps which I think are sourced from the OEM exhaust supplier by the perfect fitment tolerances of them, O2 bung plugs, and dp gasket. Everything is etched with "APR" and you are definitely getting what you pay for.

The shot many people were curious about.....

And all finished up showing the etching on the clamps

Right away when firing the car up, I could tell a SIGNIFICANT difference. No more tinny, raspy noise that comes with a thin walled downpipe on these engines, which in my opinion most all 4cylinders sound like garbage with anything beyond a downpipe. When unpacking the downpipe I knew it was high quality. Definitely a lot of work went in to making sure it is the absolute highest quality. It is slightly heavier then the ATP as is expected with a cast stainless piece, but it couldn't be by much. Having the 300cel cat eliminates the fuel smell at idle which is also a HUGE bonus for me.

Under WOT, I can hear actual engine noise again, but under cruise and light throttle it is almost silent. I can not recommend this product enough to anybody who is interested in having a quality part.

This is my personal experience with APR, and please just leave the thread if you have some stupid vendetta with them. I do not care, as this is MY experience with their products.

ADDED video with sound. don't know why it can only be watched in low quality as I took the video in 1080
https://youtu.be/i6YP29LIjhw

The first 2 minutes is just normal driving. 2:15 is where I get on it a little.

Last edited:

TheCastle

Ready to race!
Nice review!

So any idea how this compares to APRs old downpipe? I have their old downpipe and find it a bit loud on a cold start especially in my garage. Also how are the dsg farts if you have a dsg?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
the downpipe does look pretty good. if its thicker piping than most downpipes, then i like it.

VEE-DUBBER

Passed Driver's Ed
I have no idea how the downpipe compares to the old APR downpipe, as I had ATP. My car is DSG, and I do not hear them much, but I also have the Stg2+ and DSG reflashes (if it makes any difference).

The cast area is roughly 2.x mm thick according to Arin. I did not take any measurements myself, but it is definitely much nicer then what I removed from the car.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I have no idea how the downpipe compares to the old APR downpipe, as I had ATP. My car is DSG, and I do not hear them much, but I also have the Stg2+ and DSG reflashes (if it makes any difference).

The cast area is roughly 2.x mm thick according to Arin. I did not take any measurements myself, but it is definitely much nicer then what I removed from the car.

oh i just meant thicker than any downpipe at all. since its cast, i think it probably is.

VEE-DUBBER

Passed Driver's Ed
I will get a sound clip tomorrow.

I feel it was worth the price for the resonance reduction, very nice cat, and everything included definitely has an extreme quality standard. My wifes 12 Gli will be getting one too in the future when the CPO runs out.