GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My APR K04 install,experience

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I will pass. No offense to the OP, but I would not pay $2400 for a factory turbo upgrade when there are plenty other options at a lesser price.

Do you have any examples? I'm legitimately curious what other complete options are out there for less.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
Not just the labor, but the price for the k04 turbo itself. That's Gt ball-bearing turbo pricing (along with other parts)...which makes way more power in comparison.

not offended in the least, becuase you don't know what you are talking about. Yes, I can go out and buy a dump truck sized turbo for $2,400 and put it as a center piece on my mantle because that's all it's going to be good for. Please show me one other turbo KIT that you can bolt on for $2,400. With this kit there is video proof of keeping up with e92 m3's, Audi R8's, porsche 911's etc. Your lack of knowledge actually doesn't really even justify a response. For $3,727 + shipping and taxes, you could go out and buy a Greddy kit for your Si. You'll only see 280 whp, 220 wtq.
http://dynos.evans-tuning.com/2011/03/honda-civic-si-greddy-turbo-kit-280whp230tq-hondata-flashpro/

I'm good with my $2,400 investment to have 315whp, 320wtq. And let's be honest, it doesn't get much cheaper than Greddy. I'm using all oem parts so I have quality and reliability.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I am finding out quickly that turning the traction control off is the way to go.
Our vehicles keep the stability xds control on (unless vagcom disabled) so it accelerates much more smoothly in 1st to 3rd gear. With the TCS on it always interefering. I have only been K04 for a few days.

Yes, I agree. I thought it was pretty common to leave traction control off when chipped. The traction control can be good and bad, I keep going back and forth on putting it on or off, but I think i like it off better

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Yes, I agree. I thought it was pretty common to leave traction control off when chipped. The traction control can be good and bad, I keep going back and forth on putting it on or off, but I think i like it off better

Agree, I see little point to having TCS on a FWD car, it's not like you can send yourself spinning out going through a turn like in a RWD car without it on. Wheelspin is not always a bad thing.

DarkCloak

Banned
As a fellow K04er. Wether you get the APR, the AWE, or another. It is buck for buck the best value. I like how it has an OEM feeling (probably because it is), a smooth power band, an reliability.

I'm keeping the TCS off. WIth it on the thing just goes apeshit when I hit the gas. Especially since I got the Wavetrac it is really not necessary.

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
Nice review and awesome car. I'm that younger guy sitting here reading your thread getting jealous! As much as I would love to drop 5,000 on this it just wouldn't be responsible. I'm satisfied with stage 1 and an intake at the moment. Hopefully in the near future I'll have the ability to do this. But stage 2 isn't that far of a stretch... ughhh it just never ends.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
^^^^thanks. I've been there, I had a stage 2 mk5 gti. I'm now a bit older, can afford it with cash and have a decent savings. I've spent a ton of money on cars, it's a hobby, just like everyone on here. As you get older you have a bit more discretionary income. In no way would i recommend anyone to go into debt to mod your car, especially $5k. There's always going to be young kids that do that, and I always looked at them saying, wow they are lucky to be 25 and driving a fully modded sti. However, now being a few years older, having a decent savings, have a nice car with the mods i want, and being able to afford things, it makes me wonder how that kid with the sti is still paying off that car and his debt. I'm sure most of the older guys on here would agree with me too. Enjoy the stage one, it's a very nice mod, and you have a very nice car compared to what a lot of people can afford.

DarkCloak

Banned
^^^^thanks. I've been there, I had a stage 2 mk5 gti. I'm now a bit older, can afford it with cash and have a decent savings. I've spent a ton of money on cars, it's a hobby, just like everyone on here. As you get older you have a bit more discretionary income. In no way would i recommend anyone to go into debt to mod your car, especially $5k. There's always going to be young kids that do that, and I always looked at them saying, wow they are lucky to be 25 and driving a fully modded sti. However, now being a few years older, having a decent savings, have a nice car with the mods i want, and being able to afford things, it makes me wonder how that kid with the sti is still paying off that car and his debt. I'm sure most of the older guys on here would agree with me too. Enjoy the stage one, it's a very nice mod, and you have a very nice car compared to what a lot of people can afford.

Agreed. I had to wait until I was 30 to spend this much on mods. I was able to pay cash. No debt. Going to a fancy restaurant today. I'd rather have an ok car and be able to afford to put gas in it.

I had friends 5-6 years ago. Who'd have these killer cars. But you'd invite them out and they couldn't afford to eat.

Zonaglxy

Ready to race!
^^^ I agree with both you guys. I'm making pretty good money for my age (24) and am content being able to drive this amazing car while being self-sufficient. Plenty of guys my age would kill to have this car in stock form. Modding cars has always been a hobby of mine and always will be so stage 1 was inevitable. I've also witnessed friends first hand who drive heavily modded cars but can't afford a nice night out. I still look forward to the day I can drive a heavily modded car with a clear conscious.

Anyways I didn't mean to hijack the thread with this. Post some more videos of the K04 if you get a chance!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Do you have any examples? I'm legitimately curious what other complete options are out there for less.

Are you trying to tell me for roughly $2500, I can't come up with a nice turbo manifold, gt turbocharger and a tune? Damn, i thought vwvortex was the only forum full of fanboys. It's almost like people are so afraid to do shit on their own cars...without having to buy off-the-shelf products.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
Are you trying to tell me for roughly $2500, I can't come up with a nice turbo manifold, gt turbocharger and a tune? Damn, i thought vwvortex was the only forum full of fanboys. It's almost like people are so afraid to do shit on their own cars...without having to buy off-the-shelf products.

I wasn't trying to tell you anything. It was a serious question because I'm curious. I only have stage one, and haven't researched the bigger turbo thing a ton. Your statement peaked my interest and I asked you for examples. So do you have any examples or not? :iono: