GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My new car search has begun...

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Unfortunately, I barely fit in the S3, so I ruled it out today. The TTS had a little more headroom, but it was more awkward to get into and out of for me. I don't know how to put it into words, but I have to fold up funny to fit through the door opening, even though it is fine once I am sitting in the TTS. The dealership had a used S4 on the lot, but that is starting to border on a bigger car than I want. If I go that big, I may as well go with a Chevrolet SS.

As much as it pains me to type this, I may have to look at the MK7 R, even though I absolutely hate my local VW dealership. First world problems, the struggle is real...

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
SS sounds nice and definitely has the power, but its such an ordinary looking car. =\

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
SS sounds nice and definitely has the power, but its such an ordinary looking car. =\

Plus, I know me too well because I would probably supercharge it. When the Audi dealership started saying that the new S4 would be close to $70k, I started thinking that I could supercharge an SS for a bit less.

Then I started thinking, in a stop light battle on the street, a stage 2 DSG MK7 Golf R could probably hang with a supercharged SS due to the RWD traction issues. Then I would feel like a fool for spending so much money on the SS.

I hate how my mind works, lol.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Are you looking for help or just trying to vent?

A little bit of both as I am just in the preliminary stages. Today is the first day that I stopped at a car dealership in a while. Sadly, until my job situation changes, I'm sticking with the GTI because it is getting beat up pretty bad on the highway. I can't see me spending more than $40k on a car only to have it look like my GTI does after a few years.

In fact, I need a new windshield because my car won't pass inspection, but, I am waiting until the month my inspection sticker is due because I have terrible luck. In other words, if I replaced my windshield tomorrow, $50 says I would be replacing it again before October, or at a minimum, getting it repaired to pass inspection.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
A little bit of both as I am just in the preliminary stages. Today is the first day that I stopped at a car dealership in a while. Sadly, until my job situation changes, I'm sticking with the GTI because it is getting beat up pretty bad on the highway. I can't see me spending more than $40k on a car only to have it look like my GTI does after a few years.

In fact, I need a new windshield because my car won't pass inspection, but, I am waiting until the month my inspection sticker is due because I have terrible luck. In other words, if I replaced my windshield tomorrow, $50 says I would be replacing it again before October, or at a minimum, getting it repaired to pass inspection.

Gotcha... so $40k max budget... any other requirements/constraints?

I tell ya... my requirements make it almost impossible to find a car...
-Manual Transmission
-AWD
-MPG at least 25mpg, 30 or higher preferable
- must fit multiple pairs of skis
-must be sporty

Those alone rule out like 90% of cars. The mk7 Golf R is checks all the boxes but I really am not happy in a 4-door golf without a sunroof...

So I'll be in my mk6 R for a bit longer...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
mk7 R or a SS, totally different, but both awesome.

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
If I were shopping today with your budget for a sensible yet fun DD it would be a WRX STI no questions about it.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If I were shopping today with your budget for a sensible yet fun DD it would be a WRX STI no questions about it.

same, but that old ass engine, doe. At least the WRX has a new one.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion

That is on my list too, as is the Focus RS. IMHO the Focus RS has the most advanced AWD system, but, it is a Ford. You know, the same company that circled the problem and highlighted it in blue. ;) Although, I believe the 2.3 could have some tuning potential left in it....

Tonight, while eating supper, my wife told me I have to pick which issues I want to put up with when it comes to service after the sale. She said if I can't let my issues with the local VW dealership go, I shouldn't purchase another car from them. Granted, their staff has been like a revolving door since dieselgate, so now it really is a crap shoot dealing with them.

ChefT

Ready to race!
I'm with you in the new car decision. I will say that my cousin has a focus st that is essentially getting lemon lawed (if he's lucky). It's been in the shop for 2 months. That's the only experience I have with the focus. I'm leaning towards an s4 over the golf r. For only a few grand more, the options list on the Audi is endless. Now I need to decide if I want the supercharged 6 or 3.0t. Surprisingly the blower model was rated much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2lazy4agoodname

Ready to race!
SS and don't look back.