GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Help With DSG

kakiko

Hello everyone ,
So a while ago i had my mechatronic replaced because the transmission just stopped shifting gears. I got my car back and the transmission was working fine. After about 100 miles, I turn the car on put on D and boom there is a noise coming from DSG TRans. I put the car back on neutral the noise is gone, i put it on reverse the noise comes back. The noise sounded like something metallic making noise while spinning. When i drive the car the noise goes away and comes back before the car shifts or downshifts with kicks sometimes when I try to pull off from a complete stop. The next day while on my way the mechanic the noise just disappeared and the trans was shifting normal again. Also, no check engine light came up. After diagnosing it the mechanic said that 90% it's the clutch and 10% it could be the pump inside the transmission and he suggested that i should replace the clutches. Anyone had a similar issue before ? any suggestions ? Do you guys know a good mechanic in the philadelphia area who can diagnose it ?

ben_m

Ready to race!
What does the clutch replacement cost on the DSG? I thought unit could last pretty much the life of the unit?

Thumper

Autocross Champion
What does the clutch replacement cost on the DSG? I thought unit could last pretty much the life of the unit?

There's no such thing as "life of X" in a car. When they say that it only means they assume the car will be well out of warranty by the time it breaks. Or people see no regular replacement schedule for something and then assume it just never wears or breaks. lol

kakiko

The whole clutches replacement with the fluid and adjustment did cost me $1,700 outside of the dealer. I took it to someone who specializes in European cars. Also, not anyone can do this because after the replacement, the clutches have to be adjusted and this took my mechanic much longer time. Now its been more then 7 months and 2k miles and no complains at all .

ben_m

Ready to race!
There's no such thing as "life of X" in a car. When they say that it only means they assume the car will be well out of warranty by the time it breaks. Or people see no regular replacement schedule for something and then assume it just never wears or breaks. lol

I get that, I meant more with normal use and routine 40K DSG service intervals the transmission unit should last for about the life of the motor

flight1us

Ready to race!
I get that, I meant more with normal use and routine 40K DSG service intervals the transmission unit should last for about the life of the motor

If you are looking for a quality shop to do the work you should try TriState Euros out in clifton NJ great guys and fellow enthusiasts, Joey and Sam. Can't say about the price but i will say way less than what a VW Dealer would charge.