GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Idea for the MK6, Air/Water Intercooler?

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Im considering a little project and I wanted to get the forums thoughts on it. Im sure most will balk at the idea but what the hell, lets give it a go.

Im considering fabbing up a air/water intercooler setup for my mk6.

Looking through frozenboost.com Ive found a couple of cores that might be able to fit properly in the mk6 engine bay. Id size the core for 400-500hp capable
long flow type 20 maybe

or a type 13

This would have the added benefit of removing the 30lb weight on the front of your car also known as your stock/upgraded intercooler.
I would consider putting the heat exchanger in the location of the stock intercooler effectively making it a second radiator.
What are peoples thoughts?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I've heard these are VERY efficient in cooling for short periods of time but heat soak pretty quick, probably a better option for drag racing.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
With this system you are adding an air/water intercooler, additional radiator, pump and water. Debating how large a system you're going 1 gallon of water is a little over 8 lbs. Not sure how much weight you will be saving.

How cool do you think the water temperature will be? It's not like a drag kit where you can pour in ice and water whenever you feel like it.

edit: Also if you are putting your additional radiator in the stock IC location you're putting it right next to your hot radiator. The liquid is going to be sitting there holding heat way more than the stock IC since it is now full of liquid.

Plus you put the radiator in the stock IC location where are you going to put your air/water IC? They tend to be boxy. So now you have to custom make piping.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I've heard these are VERY efficient in cooling for short periods of time but heat soak pretty quick, probably a better option for drag racing.

For drag racing they are awesome. But once the ice/water gets to temperature you're pretty much screwed.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Quite true, you would have to have a large enough radiator surface area to effectively cool the fluid. Which is why im looking to find a heat exchanger to fit the space left by the OEM intercooler. However, an air to air intercooler cannot cool above ambient temperature & neither can a air/water setup. It would then be as efficient/ slightly less so than a Air/Air, but the boost response should be improved above the air/air setup.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
edit: Also if you are putting your additional radiator in the stock IC location you're putting it right next to your hot radiator. The liquid is going to be sitting there holding heat way more than the stock IC since it is now full of liquid.

It would not be sitting right against the radiator. Id have it stand off by 1/2 to 3/4 inch which would prevent it from being heatsoaked. Plus the radiator fan would be pulling the air toward the engine bay when its on, along with the added fan on the heat exchanger pushing the air through

For drag racing they are awesome. But once the ice/water gets to temperature you're pretty much screwed.
Can you define screwed? because the bugatti veyron also uses an air/water setup without being "screwed"

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Also remember your stock IC is the main bracket holding your A/C and Radiator. Trust me it's a pain.

Mounting will also depends how much give you can get out of the A/C lines and the thickness of the heat exchanger.

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Also remember your stock IC is the main bracket holding your A/C and Radiator. Trust me it's a pain.

Mounting will also depends how much give you can get out of the A/C lines and the thickness of the heat exchanger.

This is the type of heat exchanger id consider. its 1" thick. Now i say type because I want to find one that is as close to OEM mounting locations as possible.

with this in line to allow for filling the system

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Like this?

Similar yes, but the core would not be integrated into the intake manifold. It would be near where the throttle bodypipe is

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
Again i am expecting some resistance to this idea because yes this is a new concept for the mk6, no one has tried it to see if it will work or whether or not this will truely work effectively, this car is not my daily driver so it can sit if something doesnt work right, but i feel that there may be some benefits to this and hell it might end up being just as effective as other options that cost $800+.
This is done alot for the vr6 SC & turbo crowd so there is some merit here, how much remains to be seen. But i am able to piece together a kit that will cost me roughly $350 in parts and WILL require fabrication to hold all the pieces together. When/IF i do this I will datalog it with vagcom to ensure that it is working right & be able to put this idea to rest either positively or negatively

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
It's going to be a lot of custom work. Have you taken apart the front of your car yourself? You will need to make new brackets or buy the Neuspeed ones ($200) if you remove the IC. You can do what I did and leave the stock endtanks in to hold everything in place but you do need something there. The IC is what everything else is bracketed to.

Besides room for the heat exchanger you need to find a place for the new intercooler. There isn't much piping or space to play with under our hoods. Where the throttle body pipe is doesn't give you much room at all. Especially with the radiator fans right there.

You're better off doing a w/m system for cooling. It would be way cheaper, cool better and easier to install.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Water/meth with an upgraded air to air ic is a better and easier option but it would be awesome to see someone do this. The boost response would be pretty great.

TheCastle

Ready to race!
Awesome and good luck! Im glad to see someone trying something new. I know vw is moving this way on the ea888 gen 3 engines because it increases boost response. I hope this is a new soln for the vw community. Now if only someone would try a variable van or twin scroll turbo