GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

no more are going to 2012 A3 quattro instead

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
im running out to play hockey with my son, but ill address more of YOUR misinformation chaos theory and your lack of substantiation on some of your arguments...

Chaos Theory

Passed Driver's Ed
I see that 16 y/o girls get mentioned a lot above... why? :laugh:
:paddle: :laugh:
this thread/ those posts were over a year ago... congrats, cheers, and all that. And you're wrong on the Audi brand image for the last 5 years plus. Most of my cars have been MT btw, the rest of your "points" have gone far off course and now if anything, you are the one is looking more and more butthurt.. than ever. I've already conceded where my car is not as nice as a R or even a GTI for that matter. You have proved nothing.

The demographic purchasing Audis are typically of the generation who remember Audis 'bad reputation' and still, to this very day Audi in North America is still challenged on the sales floor about this very history.

So let me get this straight, you try to mock or insult me initially with your (funny to nobody of significance) picture, and now you can't deal being told you're wrong so you say thread is ended? You're priceless!

Hey 'bro', you challenged what I said in my original post. I'm just calling you on yours. ;) sorry if you can't deal with that.

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
im running out to play hockey with my son, but ill address more of YOUR misinformation chaos theory and your lack of substantiation on some of your arguments...

I used to play when I lived in IL. Was a HUGE hawks fan... I'm talking way back. "Roenick with the check on the far boards. Pang with the save. Savard skates away with the puck!". Ah the good ole days....

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
I test drove an a3 2.0T Quattro about 2 years ago, the responses were numb, it was slow, and it felt as if it was geared for economy, not performance.

I wouldn't pick it over the Golf R, but its an awesome car for what it is.

The way Gunkata's is set up is about the perfect way. I bet its a blast.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion

The demographic purchasing Audis are typically of the generation who remember Audis 'bad reputation' and still, to this very day Audi in North America is still challenged on the sales floor about this very history.

So let me get this straight, you try to mock or insult me initially with your (funny to nobody of significance) picture, and now you can't deal being told you're wrong so you say thread is ended? You're priceless!

Hey 'bro', you challenged what I said in my original post. I'm just calling you on yours. ;) sorry if you can't deal with that.

I'm Switzerland with the whole back and forth but I have to ask... What is your history with Audi? It takes very little intuition to sense that you are quite passionate on the topic...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

I said they USED to have a bad history, yes. They no longer do or else sales figures would be nowhere near as high as they have been.

I can't deal? what? I can't deal with illogical arguments... I am responding to your other stuff now....

I used to play when I lived in IL. Was a HUGE hawks fan... I'm talking way back. "Roenick with the check on the far boards. Pang with the save. Savard skates away with the puck!". Ah the good ole days....

OH MAN! I love you even more now. Did you see when Roenick cried in 2010 when they won? poor guy, lol... My best memory as a kid was sitting right behind Belfour (right behind the glass) and seeing him pull up his pants, little dude, lol...

'Dude', take the stick or whatever you have up your butt out and just go live you life. I've moved on, so should you.

Cheers!

no. I don't move on from people who can't speak logically in an argument, same for when I argue with most republicans, lol.. .

I test drove an a3 2.0T Quattro about 2 years ago, the responses were numb, it was slow, and it felt as if it was geared for economy, not performance.

I wouldn't pick it over the Golf R, but its an awesome car for what it is.

The way Gunkata's is set up is about the perfect way. I bet its a blast.

yeah, stock form is a little numb, sure. But yes, I've got it all dialed in now and it is quite awesome :D

I would have gotten the R if the price was where they are going for now, if it was in DSG (not necessary, but it would have helped), and if the motor was the similar FSI platform. Additionally, I'd be a little concerned about the clutches in them, which is a huge reason I got rid of my MT GTI before going K04.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
yeah, stock form is a little numb, sure. But yes, I've got it all dialed in now and it is quite awesome :D

I would have gotten the R if the price was where they are going for now, if it was in DSG (not necessary, but it would have helped), and if the motor was the similar FSI platform. Additionally, I'd be a little concerned about the clutches in them, which is a huge reason I got rid of my MT GTI before going K04.

Not quite sure what you mean. The A3 has the 200hp TSI, the R has the 265hp FSI.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I guess it was an older thread, how were you supposed to know, right? < well, it was like a year ago. Doesn't it say TFSI on your engine cover tho? it does on mine, and its a TSI, technically speaking.

they are a dime a dozen around certain parts every 16 y.o. Asian girl drives one. And I know from the numbers (in Canada anyways, that the quattro A3's sell more than the FWDs..
<< because girls don't drive GTI's either? my A3 is a quattro? this point was never addressed by me in the beginning, so not sure what this is about?

Really? used cars selling for less than new? Go figure. And tell me more of this stuff you have read on teh interwebz!! < lol.. .well, I had to point out why I bought my A3 for less than the R and simply stated it was used and that it saves money...

so much misinformation/lack of knowledge. If you don't know something, why spew it? < um, I fully stated and advised that I wasn't certain and to look it up? I don't get your problem/point/beef here? you should go into politics...

What exactly is your point? If you're arguing where I said it was slower, etc can you figure it out yet as to why?
- stock for stock, it has less power - that's a given no? its also slightly heavier - this isn't rocket science, dude. You argue in circles...

2. Golf R up until recently, was not being discounted. A comparable premium R to an Autobahn GTI was still hovering around $38K.
Yes... but what are you getting at? I never once mentioned GTIs. I was talking about an A3 quattro vs Golf R..

Correct, but the R Premium is essentially an Autobahn GTI as far as the interior and options go, you know that, right?

3. The AWD system on the R and the A3 is exactly the same.
Nope. Sorry. Do your homework again.. Perhaps hacve an adult check your answers next time.

I provided a link to the HPA motorsports site where it fully says that some A3's have the Gen 4 Haldex, which is the same as the Golf R. Did you not see that link or can you provide concrete evidence to the contrary? I'll have to check mine sometime, as I do not know if its Gen 3 or Gen 4. I would imagine if they are seeing this later on/.more of recent, that the newer cars would have the Gen 4 system. Not sure if you knew, but the same downpipes that fit my car also fit the Golf R.

4. Some may want the A3 over the R due to lack of a DSG option in the R - which is why I bought the A3.
Fair enough, you can't drive a manual tranny effectively.. Neither can most 16 y.o. little girls.

The 16 yr old girl comment again? amazing... I had a MT and can drive MT quite well, but I've had carpal tunnel and tendonitis surgery and a pretty shitty drive to work, so I opted for the quicker DSG , which is a total hoot with AWD and the K04, btw.

5. Some may not want the FSI variant engine in the R.
Yeah, who wants a more robust, reinforced block, forged internals and a K04 from factory? *waits for cam follower quip*

There has been things going wrong with the R engine, just like things can go wrong with the 2.0T TSI engine. Shit can still happen. Yes, the cam follower was revised, but yes, it can still fail. I also said "some" - that didn't say "me/myself/I".. lol..

6. VW owns Audi. Fit and finish, rattles and all, will be similar in both cars as they are essentially built on the same platform.
No way? Really? next youre going to tell me that VW owns Porsche and Lamborghini!?!? All lies!!! But getting back to my original point on this one, is that the A3 didn't get the refresh the MK6 saw over the MK5. The A3 interior is lackluster at best, and is reminiscent of a MK4/MK5 Golf.. The MK6 Golf interior lines/detail follow suit much more with the B8 A4 and A5

I never argued that interior wasn't as nice or refreshed, but the rattles and overall quality will be the same - that was my point, and yes, perhaps closer to the MK5 golf, sure I can see that. If not more like the prior TT, actually.

7. I bought used and saved a ton. I typically buy my cars new to save big time compared to new, especially on German cars.
Now this idea I can stand behind for the most part. I've owned dozens and dozens of vehicles, the Golf R is the first vehicle I have ever purchased new and that was because one of my best friends is a sales manager at VW and gave me one helluva deal in addition to other factory discounts and incentives I received. He had a used one there but it would have ended up costing me more money.. Go figure.

well sure, you have a connection - kudos, that's great. In the beginning many paid sticker, plus tax, so guys were buying $40K R's...

And guranteed, the 'whoa dude' comments are comming from kids. Nothing wrong with that if your goal is to impress kids at the local highschool. And you're telling me that you gave up a better equipped car so kids would say 'woah dude'? OK? I think you said you have the quattro in your A3, so then it is an upgrade in that regard. But what about those seats? or that non-inspiring dash layout? Beige headliner? List goes on and on. And thats just in the aesthetics department..

i didn't say kids, I would say just about everyone tho. Again, stop twisting my words... I also didn't say I bought the car to impress people, but it does do that, yes. I did fully state that I it was the perception the car gives - I didn't say that's why I bought it. Seats -yep, they are pretty flat. Dash - gauges good, AC vents very nice/TT style, rest - nothing too crazy. Headliner - don't really care. This car was bought primarily for performance first, looks second.

If you look for my GTI build and review my A3 build thread, the reasons I bought the A3 were to avoid a clutch install, go back to having AWD (I've had STI's, Evo, 911 C4, etc), and was enticed by the DSG + K04 + AWD.

I think the R is a very nice car, but for me in my situation and what I wanted, I went with the A3.

I've fully stated what pertains to ME, and what pertains to others - apparently, you are having a hard time figuring the difference between those two.

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
^ I cried with him. Since I'm being all nostalgic at the moment, I'll never forget the horn piercing every bone in my body as I threw my hat out onto the ice for Savards hat trick against the blues. Almost a decade later I was at the Spectrum in Philly watching Iverson cross Jordan over... Of coarse, Jordan still dropped 30+

These days my childhood heroes are gone and, although my heart holds deep reverence for them, I don't follow Chicago sports like I used too...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Not quite sure what you mean. The A3 has the 200hp TSI, the R has the 265hp FSI.

huh? I was agreeing with someone else on the A3, that it was numb/slower feeling stock. The R has 256hp in the US, btw. oh, yeah, I did mean to say TSI in that post, yes. Typo.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ I cried with him. Since I'm being all nostalgic at the moment, I'll never forget the horn piercing every bone in my body as I threw my hat out onto the ice for Savards hat trick against the blues. Almost a decade later I was at the Spectrum in Philly watching Iverson cross Jordan over... Of coarse, Jordan still dropped 30+

These days my childhood heroes are gone and, although my heart holds deep reverence for them, I don't follow Chicago sports like I used too...

I almost did myself man, it was crazy.. I mostly remember Belfour on the ice after they lost in the playoffs and him refusing to shake (the Dallas Stars I think?) the other team's hands, lol... yep, Jordan was the man.

I only really follow hockey and motorsports these days, honestly.

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
4. Some may want the A3 over the R due to lack of a DSG option in the R - which is why I bought the A3.
Fair enough, you can't drive a manual tranny effectively.. Neither can most 16 y.o. little girls.

So anyone who buys a DSG or other twin clutch vehicle "can't drive a manual effectively." Hmm... All this time I thought it was the convenience of not having to deal with a manual on my daily commute in the city, the fact it is faster on the track, and the fact my wife can easily drive it in a pinch. I guess all those race schools, including Skip Barber and SCCA, didn't do shit for me. Perhaps you can give me lessons on how to heel/toe if I ever learn how to find first gear.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^haha.. he's already shown to be quite immature in his reasoning of things, so I just took that as the same insult it was back in... oh, 2006 I guess?