GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Now that we know the R is coming, will you buy?

Since the Golf R announcement, have you thought about keeping the GTI?

• Yes (the GTI is just that good)

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • Yes (believe R price will be too high)

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Maybe I'll keep the GTI (gotta drive an R to decide)

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • No way, I'm gettin the Golf R!

Votes: 26 21.5%

• Total voters

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
I'm very excited about the Golf R finally coming to the U.S.

I know that I want the Golf R, and I'm on "the list" to get the opportunity to buy the Golf R, but will I?

Likely I will.

The only reason I ask, is that I feel the GTI is just that good.

I really enjoy driving the GTI. The power is good, the steering is very good, the brakes also have a good feel up to about 85% (then things get sketchy) and the ride/handling trade off is very acceptable. Coming from three back-to-back Audis, the only thing I believe is missing from the driving experience is AWD.

Now, I have to ask, is (essentially) AWD and more power worth starting over again (with buying/pmts)?

I can buy out my GTI for about $14k at the end of the lease, or I can buy this car for (likely) $36k. That's a big price difference when I enjoy the GTI as much as I do.

Who else feels this way?

zeonic

mmm.... beer
i would like to have the awd grip, but at the expected price range there is just too much competition.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
I agree that the price difference is huge once I have the option to buy out the GTI. Im sticking with my GTI and making it my project car

Q822

Ready to race!
I don't know...what's bothering me is the fact that when the R comes out, the new GTI will be about to comes out too and I know that I will want the newest with new technology..that's why I changed my MK5 (and the mk6 interior too)...

Quoddy

Ready to race!
After pouring in 8.5K in mods already, and going for another 5K this spring when going to Stage III, it's going to be very tough to leave a screaming fast GTI for the R.

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
After pouring in 8.5K in mods already, and going for another 5K this spring when going to Stage III, it's going to be very tough to leave a screaming fast GTI for the R.

If you do that... send all your parts to me :D (DIBS)

2011gti

Ready to race!
will not be buying the R anytime soon due to i just turn 18 and just bought a brand new GTI and planning on keep my gti my whole life cause it is the first brand new car i ever bought and that its also my love

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
will not be buying the R anytime soon due to i just turn 18 and just bought a brand new GTI and planning on keep my gti my whole life cause it is the first brand new car i ever bought and that its also my love

LOL SAME HERE :lol:

People laugh when I tell them this. But I plan on keeping my GTI forever

GTI'10man

Ready to race!

Lol me too! Haha

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I don't know...what's bothering me is the fact that when the R comes out, the new GTI will be about to comes out too and I know that I will want the newest with new technology..that's why I changed my MK5 (and the mk6 interior too)...

That is my thing.

The Golf R will be out in the summer and the current MK6 is really a MK5.5 so you're buying a car that has been around for awhile. Then the MK7 comes out a year later so right away you'll be driving dated technology and design.

I will most likely keep my GTI and sell it for a 2013 MK7.

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
That is my thing.

The Golf R will be out in the summer and the current MK6 is really a MK5.5 so you're buying a car that has been around for awhile. Then the MK7 comes out a year later so right away you'll be driving dated technology and design.

This.

I'm going to wait a year or so after mk7 is out to see what they bring

GDOGGTI

Go Kart Champion
That is my thing.

so the mk6 will last 3 years? when the mk5 lasted 4? I dont know about that one :confused: