GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM DSG Cooler Upgrade

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
FYI, bumping this for archive purposes. I just ordered an OEM 20 row cooler from Bar-Tek Motorsports in Germany. Significantly bigger than OEM and the TT-S cooler being discussed here. Price is comparable to the larger TT-S unit. Will report back on this in another thread once I get my DSG back together (installing LSD). Check it out...

https://www.bar-tek-tuning.de/getriebe-oelkuehler-upgrade-dsg-dq250

0-60Motorsports

Since 1998
FYI, bumping this for archive purposes. I just ordered an OEM 20 row cooler from Bar-Tek Motorsports in Germany. Significantly bigger than OEM and the TT-S cooler being discussed here. Price is comparable to the larger TT-S unit. Will report back on this in another thread once I get my DSG back together (installing LSD). Check it out...

Thanks so much for posting this. Will have to get this ordered ASAP.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion

That is pretty tall. I would be surprised if on the Mk6 Golf you don’t hit the battery tray.Following to see the clearance.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
That is pretty tall. I would be surprised if on the Mk6 Golf you don’t hit the battery tray.Following to see the clearance.

I reached out to Bar-Tek with that exact question and they responded within a day saying it doesn't. Even if it does I'm willing to mod it to fit unless it starts taking over where the battery is. We'll see.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Same thing I thought. Quite tall

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I reached out to Bar-Tek with that exact question and they responded within a day saying it doesn't. Even if it does I'm willing to mod it to fit unless it starts taking over where the battery is. We'll see.

Battery rellocate to trunk mod sounds like an option. :)

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Does air pass over there? Over the cooler actually? I had some issues with overheating dsg oil on very hot summer days

Not really but the design doesn't rely on air cooling. What kind of temps were you getting? That's kind of odd though I live in 90-100+ summer climate and haven't had any overheating issues even with stock cooler. What dsg oil are you running?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Although I forgot for some middle eastern market cars some of them have an OEM supplemental cooler which routes to the lower left bumper and grill intake since temps can be 110+ for sustained periods in the summer.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
Does air pass over there? Over the cooler actually?

No it doesn't. The OEM design is a liquid-to-liquid cooler that offloads excess DSG fluid heat into the engine cooling system. I think the larger design of the Bar-Tek unit will help that heat transfer happen quicker but wont necessarily keep the DSG box from generating excess heat. For my purposes (which is daily driver with spirited drives), I think this will help cool above OEM capabilities but below the capability of a dedicated front mount liquid-to-air cooler. I'm currently doing some major maintenance (new head, turbo, installing an LSD & new clutches) and I wanted to do some upgrades that will help keep OEM reliability and so I can get another 100k out of my car. If track days were in my future and money was no object I'd go with a thermostatically controlled front mount DSG cooler.

Zanic L3

Passed Driver's Ed
I was stuck in traffic today on the last hot day of 2020 and the DSG was getting a bit nervous again (stop and go traffic)

I was wondering why they actually placed the DSG cooler in that location (under the battery area), there is no air going through that/over that DSG cooler? Why is that? Why did they not mount it somewhere where air goes over?

Probably a dumb question but I'm wondering.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I think it is because the heat exchange is mostly through oil rather than air. Running air over the oil cooler probably wouldnt do much more than the radiator fan that pushes air into the bay.