GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Oil drain plug? Reuse or replace?

nockiboo

Ready to race!
Do we need to replace the OEM oil drain plug everytime we do a oil change? Or we can reuse it?:iono:

Last edited:

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
As per the dealer i go to..replace it.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
The bolt isn't replaced when they do a oil drain and fill. It's removed and reinstalled. There is a washer on there that they usually recommend replacing. But I have never needed to do it.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
I change my oil every 5K Canadian miles and according to the sales guy the washer and bolt are a pair. That said, the bolt and washer are only $3.

I use the head of the old bolt to record the date of the oil change and the mileage on the car.

nockiboo

Ready to race!
I am just wondering if its really needed to replace the bolt, on my previous car it was just the washer. Is it a poorly made bolt that is mandatory to replaced by VW? Just trying to be green:lol:

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
Be very very careful when putting it back on. Mines permanently JB welded to my pan when I stripped it the day before a 1200 mile road trip. I just suck the old oil out now.

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
I am just wondering if its really needed to replace the bolt, on my previous car it was just the washer. Is it a poorly made bolt that is mandatory to replaced by VW? Just trying to be green:lol:

Probably not mandatory to replace the bolt every oil change. Like I said earlier though, you can't get the washer on it's own. The washer and bolt come as a unit, at least that's what the parts guy told me.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Our bolts are the same exact size as our Honda Civic and Acura TL. (Yes my family owns these). Reason I know...I ordered QwikValves and they had the same part #s. So they have washers we could probably use if you just want the washer. :)

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Get the fumoto valve its great.

lon888

Ready to race!
I'd change the washer every oil change. You can get an exact fit washer at a Honda dealership for 50 cents. Or you can go to any parts store (like Pep Boys) and buy a package of them for a couple of bucks. No sense in replacing the plug - as long as you use a proper 6-sided socket to remove/install them they'll virtually last the life of the car.

ul2fly

I just performed an oil change & 2012 TSI has no washer. I was forced to reinstall and looks like its not leaking. May order the ECS magnetic plug next OFC.

toastynub

Ready to race!
The washer and bolt come as a unit, at least that's what the parts guy told me.

Nope, I got a filter + 6 washers (no bolts) when I went to my parts guy. Then I got a Fumoto valve. So if anyone wants a few washers (I think I only have 2 or 3 left), let me know and I can send them in an envelope.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I just performed an oil change & 2012 TSI has no washer. I was forced to reinstall and looks like its not leaking. May order the ECS magnetic plug next OFC.

I just got the plug and filter from the dealer today, plan to change the oil this weekend. I am not sure I have ever seen a system without a washer or gasket on the drain plug. The plug the dealer gave me came with a washer, I wonder if someone missed a washer at the factory on yours. We'll see if mine has one.

DejaEntendu

Ready to race!
Ressurecting an old thread. I've always reused my
Plug and washer over and over on all my vehicles. I just did my first oil change on my
GTI and I've got a leak. I know its tight because I loosened it and retightened it to be sure. Is it possible to leak under the crush washer? I'm picking up a new washer and plug tonight to be sure.