GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil dip stick, engine oil check?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I parked on a flat service after bringing the engine up to operating temps. Waited 10minutes and checked the engine oil by pulling out the dip stick, wiping it clean and putting it back in and pulling it out for a reading.

This is what I saw (see image attached).

It’s right at the MAX bend… should I be adding more engine oil? This is my second reading after a fresh engine oil change.

Some people dump the entire 5L jug and some do 4.8/4.9L and I notice when I dump all 5L’s it’s right at MAX. IF I dump 4.8/4.9ish, it sits at the MAX BEND.

So I’m guessing anywhere from the MAX mark to the MAX BEND mark is a good level to keep engine oil at for these 2.0T’s??

Any feedback? Only from folks who actually check their cars engine oil using the dip stick lol.

Don’t give me feedback if you don’t check your car’s engine oil. Lol. Respectfully.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Picture of engine oil check using dipstick

Attachments

• BEDCBB22-9977-471B-B68C-0EBF0A04BB6C.jpeg
    BEDCBB22-9977-471B-B68C-0EBF0A04BB6C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Looks good to me. No don’t add any.

It’s a range. It’s allowed to be in the range and be okay.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I just dump the whole thing in when I do oil changes. It'd be crazy if the engine was designed with such capacity tolerances that just a few tenths of a liter would start causing problems

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Looks good to me. No don’t add any.

It’s a range. It’s allowed to be in the range and be okay.
Ya I say it looks good. It's right below the MAX bend, not above MAX...

Yes. It's a range. A unique design this oil dip stick.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Me, I always add the whole jug of oil in. I'd add the rest.
I have done that the last oil change, and it went over MAX.... I don't have a picture of the reading but the oil mark was above MAX and that makes me uncomfortable and makes me think I overfilled. So I'm sticking to 4.8/9L-ish engine oil fill ups.

I am tempted to add the rest but I know it will go over MAX and I'll end up being paranoid lol I will check the engine oil every time I fill up gas and add if needed.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I just dump the whole thing in when I do oil changes. It'd be crazy if the engine was designed with such capacity tolerances that just a few tenths of a liter would start causing problems
I've done that before and nope... it goes over MAX... I like when it stays under the MAX bend instead, which happens when I add 4.9L's and not the entire bottle.... Ya I know not much of a difference but I don't want to overfill not even by a small amount.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
🤷‍♂️ With 5L going in every time and 150k+ miles original engine hasn't blown up yet. Engine block and head are still clean no oil seeping out all the gaskets

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
🤷‍♂️ With 5L going in every time and 150k+ miles original engine hasn't blown up yet. Engine block and head are still clean no oil seeping out all the gaskets
I’ve done both fills of 5L’s and 4.9L’s… at different oil change intervals. It did not cause any damage to the engine…

Only difference I notice is the oil reading is higher when I dump the entire 5L’s.

When I pour 4.9, it sits right at the MAX bend.

VW/Audi technicians recommend 4.9L’s. The manual states the same.

But I don’t think it’ll hurt to go with 5L’s….

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I’ve done both fills of 5L’s and 4.9L’s… at different oil change intervals. It did not cause any damage to the engine…

Only difference I notice is the oil reading is higher when I dump the entire 5L’s.

When I pour 4.9, it sits right at the MAX bend.

VW/Audi technicians recommend 4.9L’s. The manual states the same.

But I don’t think it’ll hurt to go with 5L’s….
I do 4.9 as I found a container at work that let's me measure off 100mL to put in the jug I use to top off as needed. Using 5L is fine from what I have read.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
The extra .3 liters will burn off after a couple sweet rides anyway 😂🤣
Lol smh... damn Audi engines :(
Going to use all 5L's moving forward lol