GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking violation for a place I've never been??

jnj2455

Ready to race!
This is a huge wtf and I've never had this happen before. I got a very irate phone call from my mother today saying that they got a letter from Fairview Township, NJ saying that the registered owner of the GTI (technically my dad) failed to show up to court and that the $30 parking violation has now been to elevated to $40.

At first I thought it was an EZPass violation as I tend to drive briskly through those but as she read the details of the letter to me, the letter pins that the GTI was sitting on this residential street in Fairview, NJ for too long and was fined on Friday morning at 10AM at the end of September.

I traced back my credit card transactions for that day and I was working at my office in Princeton that entire week. I even bought lunch and went out with my coworkers for drinks after work IN PRINCETON. SO WHAT THE FUCK?? And I came home and stayed home that night and got my car serviced Saturday morning in Flemington i.e. I was nowhere near Fairview.

I'm gonna call the township clerk tomorrow and hopefully settle this out. I clearly don't have a ticket and I want to demand how they get the license of my GTI and the actual proof of ticket.

My dad said if all fails, we will have to pay before they keep slapping us with late fees but I'm absolutely fucking pissed right now that something like this would happen.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
maybe guy got the wrong plate down. same car.

That's what I'm thinking yet how likely is it that they got the plate down wrong and the same car, 2DR BLK GTI, popped up?

Better yet, how could I prove them wrong?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
That blows. I found out this year that my liscense was suspended in NY. It was for a ticket from 1999 for not having my registration on me. I sent them my registration waaaaay back then and haven't hear about it for 14 years. At first they wanted me to pay $1600 to restore my license.... Fuuuuuck that noise. That was a bitch to sort out but in the end I got it sorted and I did it without a lawyer too.

Good luck with that ticket. I'm sure you will win.

Last edited:

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
That blows. I found out this year that my liscense was suspended in NY for getting a ticket for not having my registration when I got pulled over in 1999. That was a bitch to sort out but in then end I got it sorted out. At first they wante me to pay $1600 to restore my license.... Fuuuuuck that noise. I did without a lawyer too.

:eek:

jnj2455

Ready to race!
That blows. I found out this year that my liscense was suspended in NY. It was for a ticket from 1999 for not having my registration on me. That was a bitch to sort out but in then end I got it sorted out. At first they wante me to pay $1600 to restore my license.... Fuuuuuck that noise. I did without a lawyer too.

Fuck that noise indeed. I got royally fucked in Staten Island two years back and I think I finally have no more points in NY state. They're a bunch of fucking asshats.

And thanks. I'm worried about my plates now and if some replicas are floating about on some other car...

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Fuck that noise indeed. I got royally fucked in Staten Island two years back and I think I finally have no more points in NY state. They're a bunch of fucking asshats.

And thanks. I'm worried about my plates now and if some replicas are floating about on some other car...

Yeah, I didn't even know people did that! I wonder if there's a way for them to actually find a legit plate for the exact same car they have.

Edit: just read that link posted above. Damn, I guess they can.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
In my hometown they take a picture of each car with a timestamp and the ticket on your windshield. you should ask them if they do it there and get them to check the picture to see if it was your car or someone's typo. also some bylaw take the pic of the ticket on the windshield the plate and the VIN. worth a phone call at least. if they do photos and its obviously not your car maybe they can use the photo to clear up the potential plate cloning worries as well.

Good Luck!

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Well I'm glad I freaked out for no reason last night. They apologised for the inconvenience and said the plate was copied wrong and it was for a blue Nissan (lolz).

It's a bit unnerving to receive a letter that states that you had failed to show up in court for xyz reason.