GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pic Request 255-35-18x9 ET 40-45

damiennn

Ready to race!
Please, someone kindly share a pic of 255-35-18x9 ET40-45.

I want more rubber, & have seen some MK6s with 255/35s but all are slammed and or aired out.

Just looking for a pic or two of this particular set up .. & to learn how much meddling will it require to make them fit, if any.

Cheers!

Vic_MKVI

Go Kart Newbie
Subbed to see pics as well!
Im at 245/35/18x9 up front with Neuspeed wheels. Been wanting to go 255 after I run these tires down!
I think @zef is hitting this tire size on the track.

Reactions: zef

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Subbed to see pics as well!
Im at 245/35/18x9 up front with Neuspeed wheels. Been wanting to go 255 after I run these tires down!
I think @zef is hitting this tire size on the track.

Hey man, thanks for the tag.

I am running 255/35/18 Hoosier R7s... but a 255 Hoosier is more like a 285 street tire. It barely clears my seibon fenders which give an additional 10mm of clearance. See the front page of my build thread for a decent picture. For next season I am going back up to a 200 treadwear tire for class rules, and I will be running a 18x9 +40 w/ a 255/35/18 street tire in the front, and a 18x8.5 +45 with a 225/40/18 in the rear.

I know a 255/35/18 street tire on a 18x8.5 +45 will fit on stock fenders, with just a little bit of pulling on the front. I've seen a few people do this with success. 18x9 +40 I think would poke...+45 is pushing it (not just on the fender side but you're getting close to the strut too). I've seen stance guys rock the 18x9 +35 RPF1 on a 225/40 tire, but in my opinion looks kind of dumb especially with the amount of camber they need...and considering RPF1 wheels are made of play-doh, definitely not something I would recommend.

Look up the tire width of a firehawk indy 500 in that size, and try to keep to those or similar dimensions. A chunky all season tire will be a bit 'bigger', even though they are the same 'size' ... it's stupid, I know...why there is so much variance with respect to sizing beats me.

It seems that very few people understand this but a 255/35 actually fits better than a 245/40 because the latter is quite a bit taller...when people say they "rub" or have fitment issues, it's actually a height issue not a width issue. A 255/35 is dimensionally identical (minus width obviously) to a 225/40.

damiennn

Ready to race!
It seems that very few people understand this but a 255/35 actually fits better than a 245/40 because the latter is quite a bit taller...when people say they "rub" or have fitment issues, it's actually a height issue not a width issue. A 255/35 is dimensionally identical (minus width obviously) to a 225/40.

Thanks for the good info! yeah, in terms of overall size, 255/35 is almost identical to 225/40. Thats what caught my eye.. I want more rubber. Not so much a stanced car.
Currently on 225/40 on 18x8.. looking to move onto 255/35 18x8.5 or 18x9 Neuspeed RSe10, but still unsure of how it would look. Originlly wanted 235/40, but the Fitment Industries calculator states my speedo will be off more than with 255/35.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Yup, that's because they don't understand what the numbers mean and don't research. lol

https://tiresize.com/converter/

I was thinking about going that route in the spring when I get new wheels (when I bought the car it had 225/40/19s, and yes, lowered on PSS10s it rubs) and saw on here someone else running that size claiming no fender modification. Also I normally like to run Pirelli's but they have limited options in that size.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Also I normally like to run Pirelli's but they have limited options in that size.
Do you run the pzeros? I ran them for years but got tired of them slipping like crazy once they get a few miles on them. Just my experience.

damiennn

Ready to race!
Yup, that's because they don't understand what the numbers mean and don't research. lol

https://tiresize.com/converter/

I was thinking about going that route in the spring when I get new wheels (when I bought the car it had 225/40/19s, and yes, lowered on PSS10s it rubs) and saw on here someone else running that size claiming no fender modification. Also I normally like to run Pirelli's but they have limited options in that size.

This is GOLD, man.. thank you.
Cheers!

Now the only Q is whether 18x9 w/a 255 will fit without touching the strut with ET 45?
Not very concerned with height as I'm on Ohlins R&T & they dont go low.

Capture.JPG

car.jpg

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Do you run the pzeros? I ran them for years but got tired of them slipping like crazy once they get a few miles on them. Just my experience.

I ran them on the GTI cause they came on it, and I actually tracked on them and while I'm not going to say they were stellar I didn't have a ton of slippage.

But no, I really wanted the PZ4 which based on TireRack testing handled almost as good as the Pilot Super Sport 4S in the dry and out performed it in the wet. We get a lot of rain in the summer here and while I have no issue swapping from summers to winters once a season, I'm not going to swap from summers to A/S every weekend. :LOL: They don't come in a 255/35 though, best I could do would be the 235/40 which would be marginally wider and a bit taller than factory.

This is GOLD, man.. thank you.
Cheers!

Now the only Q is whether 18x9 w/a 255 will fit without touching the strut with ET 45?
Not very concerned with height as I'm on Ohlins R&T & they dont go low.

Happy to help!

Check this out too. (y)

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

SyDiko

Ready to race!

It really depends on your ride height though.

At stock ride height you'll have little to no fitment issues with most of the setups mentioned - it'll just look weird. When you start lowering your car this is where you run into rubbing (turning issues) depending on how low you wanna go.

Last edited: