GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Plasti Dip in cold weather.

TerranceH08

Okay so I have been searching around and people have been using plasti dip for their rims in cold weather and not having many problems. However the cold weather they are doing it in is like 30-45 degrees F, right now for me it's -5 Fahrenheit. Should I wait tell spring?

Im using matte black plasti dip and its been sitting in my basement for a week and I just want to use it.

xD

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
I would avoid any sort of paint work if the temp is too cold. It affects the cure time of the paint. I believe temps should be around 70 or so to do paint work. Below that, it won't dry correctly, and if it's -5, it'll probably freeze before it dries, so yeah. Wait.

Maybe you could paint in your basement, though.

Epic_Sandwich

I Drive a Sedan
That is too cold to properly apply the PlastiDip. I had to do some touch up work on a wheel a couple weeks ago when it was around 20*F in my garage. The PlastiDip is also stored in the garage.

I shook the can well but once I sprayed it, the Dip immediately formed "globs" and it was very spotty/globby when sprayed. So I brought the can inside and let it warm up for a couple hours then re-sprayed- no problems.

So as long as the PlastiDip itself is room temperature (I'd say at least 60*F) you can spray your colder wheels. Just be aware you might need to bring the can inside...or have a second/third can to cycle out...as when the Dip cools it will start to glob up again.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The can should say ideal temp...usually a min of 50 degrees. Humidity is a factor too, though not so much in colder weather. Find a garage and a heat source or just wait til spring.

LiloGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI 4 door
if you can heat up your garage to like 45 or higher it would be better. When I did mine it was about 50 outside. all i did was heat up the can a little and put a heater in my garage. not really safe but hell it worked well.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I would wait.

Here in miami, I can tell right away how much better is to spray in the heat... 90 degrees fahrenheit is a ton better than 50.

Now humidity, thats our problem.