GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

playing music in your GTI, what setup/device do you use?

iantheklutz

Hook up my iPhone 5 and play through the MDI, easy peasy!

In truth, I listen mostly to podcasts, NPR, and Howard Stern so having an expansively large library of music isn't that important.

GP813

Ready to race!
Spotify through an iphone 4 through bluetooth to the dynaudio system.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I use both, I have a bunch of Global Underground mix albums that I'm too lazy to rip up and I use my iPhone Bluetooth streaming as well.

McQueen77

Banned
old school CDs. I load up all 6 and change them out every couple months

these sound the best hands down unless you get all your music lossless FLAC or whatever and everything is in wav format or whatever.. its amazing A/B'ing a CD vs. the iPod/mp3 format.. so much better

booey1979

Go Kart Champion
I bought an old 80 gig iPod on Craigslist for $40 in the center console. I stream via Bluetooth from my iPhone for podcast.

cranker1987

Ready to race!
I used to use my Ipod exclusively, but it won't work right if I leave it plugged in in this car (mostly worked perfectly in my 2011 TDI). It drains the power and resets the Ipod, which is especially annoying. The dealer had no idea how to fix it. So, I bought an SD card and put all my music on that. I just leave it plugged and it works no problem. I occasionally use satellite radio just for a change. My local radio stations blow. I haven't used a CD in my car for about 4 years.

Last edited:

intanetfreak

Go Kart Champion
I used to use my Ipod exclusively, but it won't work right if I leave it plugged in in this car (mostly worked perfectly in my 2011 TDI). It drains the power and resets the Ipod, which is especially annoying. The dealer had no idea how to fix it. So, I bought an SD card and put all my music on that. I just leave it plugged and it works no problem. I occasionally use satellite radio just for a change. My local radio stations blow. I haven't used a CD in my car for about 4 years.

This shouldn't apply to your '13 model but this is from Turbo Diesel

"The only possible problem is that 2005.5-2007 may have problems with the battery draining if you swap a 2010+ radio in. This is caused by the module not going to sleep correctly. The solution is to swap in a newer CAN BUS gateway. It does not affect all early cars so if your battery drains after you swap the radio you know why. I left my 2006 alone for four days and it was fine with an early F version gateway. Others with 2006 have also been fine so test your car before blindly replacing the gateway but budget to replace it. It's unknown why not all cars are affected. When you get in/out of the car you can hear the RCD510 changing CDs by itself - my best guess is that it's something the CD changer does when coming out of or going into sleep mode."

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
XM Radio pretty much 90% of the time... and the other 10% - SD card. All using stock stereo and RCD-510 HU.

Coolrunning39

Go Kart Newbie
Pandora radio 90% of the time and if I use my allotted 40 "free" hours then I switch to soundcloud. I use the iPhone 4S plug in the armrest always, Bluetooth is always on for my phone too.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I use Pandora over bluetooth on my S3, my 2006 iPod video through the crappy interface, good ole FM radio and the occasional CD (which do indeed sound way better)... No SD card reader on my base model. I really enjoyed the variety of the satellite radio, despite the bad quality, but can't quite bring myself to pay for it right now.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
MDI to USB cable (probably what they should have included in the first place), worked decent through the RCD unit. I replaced it with a Pioneer double-DIN touchscreen unit, along with a small amp and hidden sub. Sounds fantastic, although the sub could use a bit more bottom end--it's a 10 inch shallow.