GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Premium Gas

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I wouldn't worry even a little about what happened to some NA Cadillac.

Since there is no open source, I haven't seen any VW ROMs. But Mitsubishi and Subaru computers are pretty darn basic, and I would bet money VW ECU is even better. If the current CAN based Mitsu ECU detects knock, it does a lot more than just add fuel. It will also globally retard timing, and in extreme cases will cause a limp mode that will reduce boost.

BMW's Siemens ECUs are even cooler. Their limp modes activate and go into defense based on the fault. The BMW N54 is a twin turbo inline six. Its direct injected long stroke, and other than an extra liter of displacement and extra turbo, its not altogether different than the Volkswagen EA888. People have been tweaking N54s for 4 years, and very few have been lost. If the ECU detects a misfire, the ECU can compensate up to and including not full time firing the suspect cylinder. A boost fault can completely disable the turbochargers.

My point in all of this is that Volkswagen engineers are not stupid. They know this car is forced induction. This engine is not stressed from the factory, as other iterations make lots more HP. They know people will put crap gas in the car, that people at high altitudes will drive these cars hard, that people will drive at sustained high speeds and cause higher than normal high EGTs (exhaust gas temperatures).

While 87 is certainly not going to get you anywhere near maximum performance, be confident the ECU will protect this engine.

I knew a guy that ran his Evo VIII on his race gas map (designed for 110 octane) running 30psi at onset and 22 degrees of total advance at high RPM unbeknowest to himself for six months! I logged the car, and it pulled a total of 7 degrees of timing to protect itself. You'd be amazed at what good programming can do.

Cliff's notes: Run premium, but don't worry about your car needlessly. :)

And with all this and the past couple of posts being said, Mods PLEASE LOCK THIS UP!!!

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
Grambles, quit running around asking for locked posts. :)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
lol If I had the power....I would do it. :thumbup:

EWT

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys

You guys mention about Premium Gas is that 95? or 98 Octane ?
Here is Australia we have 91 and then 95 and 98.

Just wondering people who are adding Premium gas, are you putting 95
or 98? In Australia the difference between 91 to 95 is around 12 cent per litre and to 98 is around 17 centre per Litre.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
You use RON, US uses AKI. 93 AKI (premium) in the US corresponds approximately to 98 RON.

daihard

Ready to race!
You use RON, US uses AKI. 93 AKI (premium) in the US corresponds approximately to 98 RON.

Speaking of that, I wonder why different parts of the U.S. offer premium gas with different AKI values? For instance, the highest we can get in the Puget Sound area is 92 AKI.

daihard

Ready to race!
The maximum here is 91 which sucks because I have to use the 91 program instead of the 93 in my APR ecu upgrade

Really? I'd have thought those of you in California got the best gas in the country. :confused:

daihard

Ready to race!
You kidding? It's consistently known that Cali gas is some of the worst stuff in the country. CARB sucks! :thumbsup:

I must have been left out of the loop! I just assumed people down there always got the best stuff, be it gasoline, sunshine or technology. :)