GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions before I dive into iPad dash install

///Audience

Ready to race!
Ive gathered all the parts to install an ipad mini into my dash but had a couple questions before I start cutting.

Ive already worked out how i will get signal optically into my external DSP, ive also found a way to retain steering wheel controls.

What im wondering is the best way to get OBD II info onto the ipad. Ive been looking at the PLX kiwi wifi module mated to the DashCommand app but this is a pretty expensive setup. Has anyone had luck running a cheap amazon OBD II such as these?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...i+wi,automotive&rh=i:automotive,k:obd ii wifi

I noticed a few people that reviewed DashCommand say these work well but wanted some more opinions. Any reason for the $100 difference with the PLX module?

My second question: What is the best way to paint the radio bezel to give it a factory finish? The bezel will be glassed into a frame for the ipad. Ive looked into satin finish paints but nothing that makes the bezel look factory.

also, are there any other vehicle apps yall would recommend i look into?

///Audience

Ready to race!
no ones tried a cheap OBD II module versus the PLX?

Stinger

Ready to race!
Wow Audience! I don't know the answer to your question but I sure would like to see pics of the job once it's completed!

///Audience

Ready to race!
Apr bt dongle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The APR is cool but I'm not running APR software and the goal is to reduce cost. Not double it. The PLX will do way more for half the price.

///Audience

Ready to race!
Wow Audience! I don't know the answer to your question but I sure would like to see pics of the job once it's completed!

I'll be starting a build thread later this week

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
no ones tried a cheap OBD II module versus the PLX?

I just bought a elm327 wifi obd2 dongle ($21) and it arrived today.
Also bought the Dashcommand app (now $9.99 down from $50).

Works perfectly. The Dashcommand app is awesome. Only played around with it on a couple of drives. Still some setting up to do. The data logging feature is great and I love how you can play it all back afterwards. Even the gps map view works with the data logging replay and seeing all the gauges and dashboard stuff replay the trip is cool. Glad I went cheap with this, just like the VCDS cable.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
One from china with v11.11.3 VCDS. $27
Works perfectly well with no issues. Just never use it when connected to the Internet.
I'm sure others and purists here have problems with people buying that but anyway...

Lodi

Go Kart Champion
This should be interesting. Good luck OP.

kwalton

Passed Driver's Ed
There is some paint from SEM that matches pretty well. I used some that is pretty close but not 100% after almost having mine in there for a year I can barely notice anymore. I will be adding the APR Mobile dongle soon as well.

Here's a pic of how mine turned out

///Audience

Ready to race!
Damn that looks great! Are you bluetoothing audio to the KDC-X997?