GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

reasons not to get an sti

Artysta

Ready to race!
I had some time to kill today so I dropped by a subaru dealer tonight. I saw the 2011 sti sedan in real life for the first time and it really caught my eye. I like it much better then the hatchback which is weird because its usually the other way around. I think it looks bad ass and interior actually looks pretty decent as well. So the wheels are starting to turn and Im starting to debate whether or not I should switch to an sti for my next car or soon. Give me your reasons as to why switching to an sti is not a good idea.

DDGTI

Ready to race!
If you get an STI you HAVE to get a tune. STI's (and WRX's) have the crappiest factory tune I have even seen. They run really lien during full boost to pass emissions, and then dump a bunch of fuel to cool down the cylinders. Couple that with their glass-like cast pistons and you have a recipe for disaster.

Other than that they are excellent cars, and the new sedan is a real looker :drool:.

Remedyz08

Passed Driver's Ed
STI is almost a 40k car
so interior is def. cheap looking
plus the lack of options

I almost bought an STI since the VW dealer here is also a Subaru dealership

APdubbin

Ready to race!
... ehhh if you got the money to dish out, I say go for it haha

Sorry all the GTI fans, but that cars got EVERYTHING on us except for the interior. But TBH thats a small price to pay for all the awesomeness it provides.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Give me your reasons as to why switching to an sti is not a good idea.
"Reasons" plural? As in there could be more than "it's a Subaru"? Hell, I'd sooner drive a Chrysler. :)

If your daily commute includes merging onto Laguna Seca, go for it. I drove the WRX and I'm glad I got this car.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
Its not a fully comfortable DD. And that car needs to be in stick because thats what its made for and the Subaru auto is a slushbox.

KanDyWyte1

Ready to race!
My first impression of the 2011 STI was "mature" tuner car. It's simple and still looks aggressive. I would consider it for sure once you look at what's in that price range. $40+ can get you some nice platforms.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
cons:
fuel economy
interior (unless the limited trim, but even then)
electronics suck (HU, BT, etc)

pros:
Typically more reliable than a German car
FAST
AWD
FAST
bulletproof transmission
same as GTI, drop a few grand into it and it will really floor you

ultimately, you need to drive it and decide what you value most - overall driving feel, interior, refinement, etc, or power and AWD.

LS6V

Passed Driver's Ed
I can only comment my test drive experience. The exterior looks great and for 2011 they really made it work. It has great mod potential and you are looking at 330 awhp with out much sweat. The steering feel is different then a GTI, no so solid on center. Most people would be happy with the stock suspension for 2011. I just looked at the 2012 Impreza and it was terrible so this might be the best looking STI for a while.

On the Cons, the interior is still 90s. The radio unit is absolutely hideous. Could get tiresome for a Daily driver as it only comes in 6MT. More expensive than any GTi trim. Gets a lot of attention and high insurance cost. Becoming hard to get as the supply is short from Japan.

Other cars to consider 30-40k range = 135i, 370Z